Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:11 AM

638 posts, read 982,017 times

Advertisements

Obviously it doesn't correlate to 100% but for the most part why is it that Republicans are so much more wealthy?

Old 03-27-2015, 10:24 AM
J24

448 posts, read 865,620 times
I think it's that wealthy people are republicans, rather than "republicans being so much more wealthy".

But it's not entirely true. I'm faaaar from wealthy and I'm a (moderate) republican.

Democrats are known for entitlements. Wealthier people are typically against entitlements and giving away money to those who don't work for it. They are also against higher taxes, as they want to keep their money (wouldn't you?). I'm not wealthy and never have been, but I'm against those things as well. I don't think raising the minimum wage to $15/hr is beneficial. I don't think that wealthy people should pay 90% of all taxes.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:05 AM

6,486 posts, read 9,867,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
I think it's that wealthy people are republicans, rather than "republicans being so much more wealthy".

But it's not entirely true. I'm faaaar from wealthy and I'm a (moderate) republican.

Democrats are known for entitlements. Wealthier people are typically against entitlements and giving away money to those who don't work for it. They are also against higher taxes, as they want to keep their money (wouldn't you?). I'm not wealthy and never have been, but I'm against those things as well. I don't think raising the minimum wage to $15/hr is beneficial. I don't think that wealthy people should pay 90% of all taxes.

I think you are spot on!

I will never understand the democrats wanting to keep giving money away lol

Old 03-27-2015, 11:10 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,111,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I think you are spot on!

I will never understand the democrats wanting to keep giving money away lol
Don't forget that they have to take it from someone first.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:11 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,069,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Obviously it doesn't correlate to 100% but for the most part why is it that Republicans are so much more wealthy?
I am not so sure it is that true especially with the really rich. Gates, Buffet, Soros, Bloomberg etc are all examples of very rich but not republicans.
I also think more businessmen are republicans
Of course without any real facts both your statement and my anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:42 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,482,652 times
1) Why do so many start new threads with "Why"?
2) Why so much generalization on these forums?
3) Why so many questions that do not have answers, mostly because the questions are wrong to begin with?
4) Why ask questions based on subjective definitions like "being successful" without adding "to me success equals X..."

Old 03-27-2015, 03:22 PM

6,486 posts, read 9,867,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
1) Why do so many start new threads with "Why"?
2) Why so much generalization on these forums?
3) Why so many questions that do not have answers, mostly because the questions are wrong to begin with?
4) Why ask questions based on subjective definitions like "being successful" without adding "to me success equals X..."

Why not?

Old 03-27-2015, 04:01 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,258,547 times
Quote:
Do you have any data to support your thread?

Two of the wealthiest Americans (Bill Gates and Warren Buffett) are known to be Democrats.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:02 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,267,095 times
Quote:
Huh? Who told you this? It's completely Wrong.

Are you living in a Red state? That could explain it. In Red states, the rich tends to vote Republicans while the poor Democrats.

But in Blue states, that demographic is flipped. The rich tends to vote Democrats while the less wealthy vote Republicans.

http://www.minnpost.com/health/2007/...or-republicans

Blue states also tend to be wealthier than red states. Democrats also tend to be more college educated than Republicans.

http://www.businessinsider.com/proof...mocrats-2012-5

Last edited by beb0p; 03-27-2015 at 04:11 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,245,418 times
Quote:
I think you are confusing income with wealth.

The Democrat elite tend to be wealthier as a group than the Republican elite, however, most small business owners that generate high incomes have to deal with the onerous regulations imposed by Democrat initiatives (Republicans have them too, but far fewer and generally less egregious), so they vote in self defense against the Democrats. Big business/ professional management class tends to fund both parties for access, but vote Democrat, because their policies tend to create barriers to entry, or preferential treatment to certain industries/large corporations, so they vote their self interest.

From a policy perspective (and this is admittedly VERY broad brushed) Democrats tend to focus on wealth transfer programs for the underclass/lower class as a vote buying method. Republicans tend to focus on small business and middle class issues like regulatory impediments, and tax policy which buys votes from the middle and upper classes.

So, Democrats have a small wealthy elite that frequently inherited their wealth in leadership and policy positions that focus on generating votes in the lower middle class and underclass, while protecting the interests of big business.

Republicans have a smaller wealthy elite in leadership positions that frequently grew a small business to make their money in leadership and policy positions that focus on generating votes in the middle and upper classes while protecting the interests of small business (and there's lots of them!).

The party demographics based on their election strategies and constituencies, would naturally lead (again, in VERY broad brushed generalities) to more Republicans having more wealth on average than Democrats, however, that is not true on the elite policy level of either party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates