Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:45 AM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Do men have smaller bladders than women, because why isn't this a problem for females? Sounds like a case of "because they can". No, in most cases it shouldn't be a sex offender crime, but I do believe a man should find a potty room like we women do. Posters have brought up alley ways...ewwww
Men don't have smaller bladders, if anything, it's just the opposite. Depending on what sources you use, it's thought that men in general have larger bladders than women. So yes, it's mostly because we can........but now you can too! With this handy little object the girls can get busted right along with guys.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-04-2015 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 11:07 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
I don't think they're "treated like a sex offender". Here, the charge is "indecent exposure", and it has a very small penalty. You don't go to jail for it unless you are from out of town because you're unlikely to show up to court, or if you have previous charges related to not appearing in court. It's the same charge as if you were having sex in public or something. Most officers wouldn't want to charge you unless you did it very blatantly in a public place.

I don't think anyone should pee in public where others can see them. I've been at a 5k run or somewhere and couldn't find the bathroom, so I ran into a group of tall bushes (taller than me) to pee. Nature calls. I don't see a lot of difference in that and how appropriate breastfeeding would be.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:08 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Personally one of the things I have thought quite ridiculous is how a man can just say pee out on the side of the road with no one around yet if a cop happens to catch him he'll get charged as a sex offender. Seriously? I could understand if he says goes showing off to some children but just for going outside? I don't even think he should if it's adults. Perhaps a fine but I think the sex offender status should only be relegated to those that purposely show themselves to children or actually sexually abuse a child.
No, just hit them with a mandatory 2 week public service sentence and $1,000 fine payable before release (or the sentence gets extended). Make this one expensive pee. (Assuming they do it in a non-emergency situation, or not somewhere a rural road in the middle of nowhere - this is not OK but understandable).

Old 04-04-2015, 01:19 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
No, just hit them with a mandatory 2 week public service sentence and $1,000 fine payable before release (or the sentence gets extended). Make this one expensive pee. (Assuming they do it in a non-emergency situation, or not somewhere a rural road in the middle of nowhere - this is not OK but understandable).
You really don't want to go to India with that attitude. It is very common to see people squating by the side of a busy road, or on a public beach, having a, how to put it, 'bowel movement'. Peeing? If it's outdoors, everywhere is a urinal for both men and women.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:37 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,982 times
Most municipalities treat public urination not as a sex offense (that would be stupid and I've actually never heard of anyone being charged with a sex offense for simply peeing innocuously someplace...say the side of a building or in a parking lot....there would have to be unusual circumstances to justify a sex offense), but just as an infraction and in rare cases a misdemeanor. Obviously like most of the crimes against "quality of life" that municipalities focus their judicial codes on, in isolation these are not rally a big deal at all(from the perspective of damage or victim impact), but if you look at it from the perspective of a chronic or pervasive issue, then you will see it as an actual significant problem with measurable impacts. Hence there are usually charges such as "disorderly conduct", "disturbing the peace", etc.

For instance, one guy peeing in an alley one time a month isn't a problem. Ten guys peeing in the same alley every night - pretty soon it reeks of urine and is disgusting. Just look at San Francisco with all the homeless. There are whole blocks that have to be powerwashed every morning because the filthy bums won't stop urinating (and defecating!) in doorways and on the sidewalks. Its gross.

Again...the difference between an isolated act and a common practice. But the main reason that these are prosecuted is simple deterrence. You don't want it to become common.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:32 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
I'd prefer not to see people peeing in public. As long as they are trying to be discreet and aren't being sexual or nasty about it, I'd let it slide.

I think it is too easy to be labeled a sex offender.

I have a then young relative who got pulled over by the police. He was the driver. His friends were mooning people out of the windows of the vehicle. This used to be the sort of activity that was considered a joke. Now it gets you on the sex offender list. My relative and his friends got off easy. The policeman brought them in and called the parents. It wasn't an official arrest. To my knowledge, it didn't happen again.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:52 PM

6 posts, read 4,788 times
No. Sometimes we have to go when we're outside and no other option exists. It's mostly just water anyway, so what's the big deal?

Old 04-04-2015, 09:52 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
The way America is going, I think it will be a sex offense if you pee in your own bathroom if it is caught by a drone flying by and sees you in the window. Between the massive fear campaign and lack of privacy of any kind, I really think the great times ended in the 90's. Man, I miss the days when a guy could take a pee in the woods and wouldn't even THINK of it being a sex offense. Gone are the days of common sense and really living. In Finland it is legal to pee on the side of the road. Guess they aren't as over the top as us.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
In most states its not a sex offense; its disorderly conduc. The key is the intent as to charge. Reckless or intentional display. Streaker is same the intent of display .

Old 04-05-2015, 01:14 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Personally one of the things I have thought quite ridiculous is how a man can just say pee out on the side of the road with no one around yet if a cop happens to catch him he'll get charged as a sex offender. Seriously? I could understand if he says goes showing off to some children but just for going outside? I don't even think he should if it's adults. Perhaps a fine but I think the sex offender status should only be relegated to those that purposely show themselves to children or actually sexually abuse a child.
Do you have any examples of someone "only" urinating outside and being charged for a sex offender crime?To me that doesn't sound right. If you have to register as a sex offender for urinating outside you obviously had a terrible lawyer or something else happened outside of just urinating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates