Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 07:10 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times

Advertisements

Well I know of at least one white family that thought having 19 kids was a good idea. Gee, wonder why no one is mentioning them?

Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
The debate is how poor people have more children than non-poor people (mostly blacks and Hispanics) if they can't pay for hospital bills, food and shelter for them on their own. It really does not make sense to have children if they can't feed them with their own money but since our government helps subsidize their breeding there is no consequence. It really is screwed up how the system is set up to encourage such behavior. If we stopped paying for their children's care trust me they would think twice of having a bunch of poor babies.
Are you willing to help subsidize their choices for not breeding? And btw, OP, what about all the poor single mothers in Appalachia who have lots of welfare babies? Is that a good thing, because they're helping out-breed other ethnic groups, or is that bad, because they're welfare leeches?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-12-2015 at 07:07 AM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 04-11-2015, 08:43 PM

67 posts, read 88,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you willing to help subsidize their choices for not breeding? And btw, OP, what about all the poor single mothers in Appalachia who have lots of welfare babies? Is that a good thing, because they're helping out-breed other ethnic groups, or is that bad, because they're welfare leeches?
I don't think highly of them either. All poor people who have many children that need our tax dollars to subsidize their breeding disgust me.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-12-2015 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Edited quote

Old 04-11-2015, 08:45 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
I don't think highly of them either. All poor people who have many children that need our tax dollars to subsidize their breeding disgust me.
Poor people have been having multiple children whether the tax dollars were subsidizing it or not. This has been going on for a long time.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:20 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Ha! All of the whites in my neighborhood have AT LEAST two kids and most of them have three or four. We, a minority family, have two -with no intention of having any more. Go figure. The commonality? We all have as many kids as we can afford and we all live in the same neighborhood with similar income level. No one cares here how many kids you have since we are all supporting our own.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:44 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Ha! All of the whites in my neighborhood have AT LEAST two kids and most of them have three or four. We, a minority family, have two -with no intention of having any more. Go figure. The commonality? We all have as many kids as we can afford and we all live in the same neighborhood with similar income level. No one cares here how many kids you have since we are all supporting our own.
I know some White people who have three or four children myself. None of those persons are those I would call "poor". Utah, which is considered one of the whitest states in the USA, has one of the highest birth rates in the nation, possibly the highest.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:56 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Many Hispanics are Catholics, and doesn't the Catholic church still frown on birth control? My DIL is Hispanic and her father was one of 14 (!) kids. Thankfully she and my son have drawn the line on 2, so maybe that has changed with this generation.

Not sure what the reason is with AA's.....I have met many who come from huge families with lots of siblings. I worked with a black woman who had 8. We were talking about birth control and when I asked her if she was considering getting her tubes tied, she was aghast. Seemed she wanted even more kids. And though she worked, she routinely took days off so her income wouldn't get to the point where she would lose any benefits.

If you can't afford more kids, stop having them! It's not that hard to understand.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:17 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
There are plenty of white people on government assistance. Let's abandon the dialogue suggesting that all white people are hard working tax payers and most "black and brown" people live off their charity.

Having said that, blacks and Latinos tend to be closer to their extended family and are more comfortable with larger families. This is less true than it was 30 years ago. My guess is that if you said "family" to the average white person, they'd first think of their mom, dad, brothers, sisters, spouse and child/children. Minorities tend to include cousins, grandparents etc. and have a more old-world concept of family.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:05 AM

144 posts, read 184,810 times
Before it was Irish immigrants getting that kind of bad rep. Ha! But in terms of teen births, I've seen it occur in mostly white girls and Hispanics from MY personal experience. I assume it starts with those who know how to work the welfare system. I work minimumwage and buy less then $20 worth of groceries each week. That's perfect for me, and I eat HEALTHILY.
On the other hand, I came across a woman not too long ago at the grocery store who was on food stamps with 9 kids (she was Caucasian). I think it really depends on intelligence, social class, and self-esteem. Race, not so much.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:06 AM

404 posts, read 385,737 times
Default Mick Jagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
H.L. Hunt?
Mick Jagger has a lot.

However, from what i've seen in Hispanic families some are encouraged to have a lot of kids. There are also lots of family members to help with taking care of the kids.

I've often wondered how they could afford to pay for so many kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates