Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:09 AM

519 posts, read 776,682 times

Advertisements

Debates in general can raise your blood pressure. Arguing is stressful.

The difference between online and in-person debating is time and anonymity. In a live argument, no one really gets a chance to walk away from the moment to think about what was said, or to find something in support of their side. On the Internet you can leave the computer to go cool off, do research, or just mull over the things you've read. You also can't be as nasty in person because there's no way to go hide after you've said something stupid or terrible, and if you're wrong you have to face up to it right away or you'll look like a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb Do online debates just raise blood pressure?

They obviously do on some folks.

Just look at it as entertainment rather than a competition.

I do.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:46 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
This is the most heavily moderated board on the net...that I know of. I'm sure there is a site that is more heavily moderated....somewhere.

Due to the aggressive moderation, "never is heard a discouraging word."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoven View Post
You summed it up well. I revisited this thread after forgetting that I posted it, and noticed a moderator cut, which I also forgot the content of. Potential moderator bias is also part of the problem. I see a lot of wacky comments that don't get cut here.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:51 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
This is the most heavily moderated board on the net...that I know of. I'm sure there is a site that is more heavily moderated....somewhere.

LOL. Its not as heavily moderated as you think. They just grab some of the more obvious stuff.

Anyways as to the OP.

I think I have only had my blood pressure raised once here. And that was someone stating that it was my fault that my mother died for not having medical insurance. I must admit, the combination of personal attack mixed in with the incorrectness of it all got me kinda annoyed.

I've since seen the poster do the exact same thing to someone else, and have realized that some people are just plain ol meanspirited, and like to look for ways to insult and hurt people.

I mean, I'm not always as nice as I should be-but even I know there are lines you shouldn't cross in debates here.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 PM

The internet is a haven for many types....the good, the bad, the ugly.... and the mean.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:01 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
I think so.

In fact, one of the instructions for my post surgery is not to exercise for 48 hours, don't raise the blood pressure.

SO, in addition to no exercise, I'm going to try to keep off the Net because I believe that can for sure raise the BP.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:17 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
Changing minds is often possible, though barely, on long-held beliefs about very serious issues. I believe it takes both repetition of presumed facts & introduction of additional presumed facts for some time. I think I get about 1 person to change their mind for each few hundred hours spent reading posts, researching, thinking, & writing. Maybe not really worth it, but I have lots of free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I doubt anyone has ever changed their mind based on a debate on the internet.

Even in other forums where people are seeking advice about a decision, the OP seems to already have their mind made up and only posts to get validation under the guise of seeking advice.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:56 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

Trust me...it's not the most heavily moderated board on the net!

Old 07-21-2015, 07:20 AM

Don't we tend to speak from personal experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Trust me...it's not the most heavily moderated board on the net!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:37 AM

741 posts, read 440,888 times
Yes they do, which is why I try to avoid them anymore. It's easier to take if all you do is read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates