Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 05:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The oldest documented piece of evidence for circumcision is from ancient Egypt.

The description on this ancient Egyptian drawing showing a male genital cutting ceremony indicates that it was done as "a rite of passage to identity, gender, and power." That basically means that it was performed as a ritual.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...on_papyrus.jpg
I'm aware that it was a ritual. It's like God knew what was good for them. Now we know there are a host of medical reasons in favor of circumcision. Yet religion called for it before we knew about the benefits.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-17-2015 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 07:11 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

Seriously.... you've had your sons go "golly thanks Mom for not having us circumcised." Who talks to their mother about their penis? Who talks about their penis at all?
Actually we have had that conversation. Just like we are having this conversation on this forum.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:13 PM

229 posts, read 382,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIJ95 View Post
I am not doubting it feels better to be uncut if you're a guy. More skin = more nerves, but the thing is you will have less of a chance of feeling anything because no girl will touch that
Haha (most) women think our genitals are ugly regardless of whether they're circumcised or not. That's why it's called "junk"

Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
I'm just bringing up, what I think are valid points here to try and get the topic off what it was destined to devolve into.. Endless arguing.. So.. Curious.. For those who would leave it up to the child.. At what age would you allow them to make that decision?

18? 13? 6?

What's the magic age that a child can make the decision to be circumcised? If your 6 year old says he wants to be circumcised.. He's made his decision.. Will you now respect that? Or is he too young to make that decision?

What's the age that a child can decide to have their ears pierced?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:15 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamba View Post
Haha (most) women think our genitals are ugly regardless of whether they're circumcised or not. That's why it's called "junk"
Too right!

Old 04-17-2015, 09:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm just bringing up, what I think are valid points here to try and get the topic off what it was destined to devolve into.. Endless arguing.. So.. Curious.. For those who would leave it up to the child.. At what age would you allow them to make that decision?

18? 13? 6?

What's the magic age that a child can make the decision to be circumcised? If your 6 year old says he wants to be circumcised.. He's made his decision.. Will you now respect that? Or is he too young to make that decision?

What's the age that a child can decide to have their ears pierced?

You can get a tattoo or piercings without parental consent when you're 18. Why not let kids decide once they're that age whether or not to get circumcised?

I suspect that most boys would decide at that point that it works just fine the way it is, compared to a surgical procedure and a couple of weeks of recovery.

When I was discussing circumcision with my mother, she insisted it was a class issue and that someone who didn't circumcise their boy would be preventing that child from ever making a decent marriage with someone of their own social class. I wonder how common that attitude is.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:31 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamba View Post

We only think they're ugly when they're attached to someone we don't love or lust over. I tell my husband that his junk is beautiful fairly often. When I met him, he was very shy and defensive about not being circumcised, but I think over the years he's gotten over it.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:50 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
1. He did not command circumcision as a corrective measure, He commanded it as a symbol of His covenant with Abraham.

2. The above-quoted statement indicates that you think that God made an error when He created foreskin - in which case you'd be advocating for universal circumcision.
You sure misinterpreted that wrong.
Just pointing out the absurdity of it all.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:26 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm aware that it was a ritual. It's like God knew what was good for them. Now we know there are a host of medical reasons in favor of circumcision. Yet religion called for it before we knew about the benefits.
You know, that's the beauty about religion. You can interpret it anyway you want. You can even tell others about what's going on in the mind of your God. You should post this over on the Religion forum... you'll enjoy the assortment of responses you get there.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:15 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
In most of Europe only Muslims and Jews do it. Someone who was neither, but decided to circumcise his kid, would be weird. They tried to ban it in Germany altogether a couple years ago the reason being unnecessary bodily harm to minors, but the Jews and Muslims raised a huge stink, and the government caved in of course. But then of course traditions are different in America.
I'm glad there is something Muslims and Jews can agree on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIJ95 View Post
I am circumcised, my sons will be too, and from being in locker rooms and doing sports all throughout HS I have never seen a white person who isn't, and every girl I know considers uncut to be a turn off. If you are white and you don't want your son to be a the "wierd penis guy" in the locker room and to not be humiliated during his first sexual encounter when the girl says "ewww" then do it. If you don't, he will want to do it but be too scared to do it. There is no science behind it, it's just better looking and a cultural norm here amongst white people in the United States. It's easier maintenance, there is no pulling anything back you just clean it the same way you clean your thumb.
In my 60 years, I never thought there was a racial difference in who was circumcised in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Speak for yourself! Apparently the women you talk to are ill-bred, uninformed, and parochial in their attitudes. BTW, one advantage for guys is there's no need to use hand lotion or whatever for self-pleasuring. Just thought I'd throw that out there....
I'm still wondering about this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post

1) There are benefits
2) The benefits are high enough that Medicare and insurance should cover it
I doubt Medicare is paying for many circumcisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates