Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 07:45 AM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

I doubt Medicare is paying for many circumcisions.
Agreed.. However, to clarify the point on MedicAID.. The following are the states where it is is not covered, and when it stopped. As of 2012.

18 states don't cover circumcisions under Medicaid - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

It's 18 states No, 32 Yes currently.

Quote:
You can get a tattoo or piercings without parental consent when you're 18. Why not let kids decide once they're that age whether or not to get circumcised?
So, you're not allowing the child to make the decision.. You're preventing them from having it done until you can no longer control it..

Last edited by Labonte18; 04-18-2015 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 08:10 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
I am agreeing with 18 years old. That is the standard for allowing someone to make "grown-up" decisions whether they are mature enough to do it or not. It is fine that children make minor decisions and they should be given choices but with decisions that will be permanent, it is better that they make the choice as an adult.

Once when my older son was in high school, he decided to give blood. I don't know the medical reason but some members of our family can't seem to tolerate doing that very well and he had been told that. So, they took the blood and he became quite ill so the school nurse calls me and says that he has been laying down for an hour and isn't better and that I needed to come and get medical help if he didn't seem better soon. I was informed that at 17, they could give their own approval to give blood. This did not seem right since my son was not an adult and was not responsible for his own medical bills yet they took the blood and called me to come and get my ailing son. I was horrified to have to deal with this when they created it. My son, a minor that I was responsible for. I learned they did this because without the parental consent, they were able to get more donations.

I think trying to maintain this is simply a $$$$$ maker at a time when hospitals are seeing less patients. As insurance tightens the purse strings, you'll see it less and less necessary.

The wave of the future is to avoid that which is not medically necessary.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:56 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's not just friction. There are a lot of nerve endings in the foreskin that are removed during circumcision. It's a marvel to me that in this day and age people can still justify genital mutilation.
It is not mutilation.

It is a legitimate medical procedure.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:41 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It is not mutilation.

Just like labiaplasty, only without the consent and done on a child.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:50 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
It is not mutilation.

At one time, so was blood-letting.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:09 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times
Quote:
It is not mutilation.

Yes, but only when an emergency situation legitimately presents itself that requires it... and that's only in a small percentage of males.

We are talking about making it the norm for all male boys here. What you said takes on the false impression that circumcision is absolutely necessay because, otherwise, all uncirc'd males are doomed to some kind of terrible fate. Worse yet, that it will make their penises look prettier. I guess nature doesn't know what she's doing, huh?

So let's not try to confuse things, ok?

How about removing all babies' appendixes to prevent the possibility that someday their inflamed appendix won't burst? That's a medical procedure too.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,596 times
I think a lot of people have the wrong idea what Circumcision is ... PLEASE go to a medical website and research it and not pay attention to the propaganda sites.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:55 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post

We are talking about making it the norm for all male boys here.
Emphasis added

Interesting choice of words ..... particularly when "helicopter parenting", broken families, female-headed households and Political Correctness are turning out more and increasingly-feminized boys every year!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-19-2015 at 05:19 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Just like labiaplasty, only without the consent and done on a child.
No, it is not "just like" that.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Yes, but only when an emergency situation legitimately presents itself that requires it... and that's only in a small percentage of males.

We are talking about making it the norm for all male boys here. What you said takes on the false impression that circumcision is absolutely necessay because, otherwise, all uncirc'd males are doomed to some kind of terrible fate. Worse yet, that it will make their penises look prettier. I guess nature doesn't know what she's doing, huh?

So let's not try to confuse things, ok?

How about removing all babies' appendixes to prevent the possibility that someday their inflamed appendix won't burst? That's a medical procedure too.
No, it's a non-emergency, legitimate medical procedure. Nowhere did I say or hint at it being "absolutely necessary."

I won't even comment on the appendix or any other body part because there is no comparison. It looks like you are the one confusing things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates