Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times

Advertisements

Really? Who cares what other folks choose for their kids?

You want to breast feed your kid until she's 15?

Good luck.

No one cares.

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-21-2015 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 11:29 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
At one time, so was blood-letting.
Stop with the silly "comparisons." Blood letting is dangerous; circumcision is not.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:31 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
The fact that the OVERWHELMING majority of men in this world do not have this procedure somewhat questions its legitimacy, doesn't it? I don't see how an intelligent person could say otherwise.
No, it doesn't question it's legitimacy because tens of millions of people, probably even hundreds of millions, have had it done.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:18 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
The fact that the OVERWHELMING majority of men in this world do not have this procedure somewhat questions its legitimacy, doesn't it? I don't see how an intelligent person could say otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
It is a logical fallacy to argue that just because something is common, it must be good/right/acceptable/moral/repeated/etc.

After all, most lemmings run off of a cliff...
I think that what Jzer21 is getting at is that the majority of the men in the world are not circ'd and they are functioning just fine... in their natural condition.... the way nature created them.

And btw, that's just another myth... about the lemmings committing suicide . It was all staged and created by Disney for a movie. Read what real wildlife biologists have to say about it...

Lemming Suicide Myth, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Old 04-22-2015, 11:52 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Oh dear! I didn't know this was a closed conversation. Where do I have to sign up to be allowed in?
Your input is welcomed only if you have something to contribute. Hijacking is not a contribution.

Quote:
The point, BTW, since you didn't seem able to get it, is that a reason given on the basis of some text from the writings of one specific book and directed at one specific segment of a people constitutes an invalid viewpoint for all others.
No, the point is that the other poster's statement was false, because God commanded Abraham to circumcise himself and his descendants. To those such as yourself who don't believe in God, the entire conversation is irrelevant.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Why does anyone care if a child's parents choose circumcision for their child?

It's not your kid.
I favor parents making their own informed decision, regardless of whether or not they choose circumcision. It's the parents' choice, and no one else's, period. Therefore, I oppose any attempt to outlaw (or mandate) circumcision.

My lemmings comment was directed at those who claim that all boys should not be circumcised because most other countries do not circumcise.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:09 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
I will say this,as a young man I never thought about it but now at 82 wish I had it done at birth.
My brother inlaw at my age had it done probably for the same reason I wish it was done,very painful and will not give it further thought.I have never dicussed it with him.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
I favor parents making their own informed decision, regardless of whether or not they choose circumcision. It's the parents' choice, and no one else's, period. Therefore, I oppose any attempt to outlaw (or mandate) circumcision.

My lemmings comment was directed at those who claim that all boys should not be circumcised because most other countries do not circumcise.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I think that what Jzer21 is getting at is that the majority of the men in the world are not circ'd and they are functioning just fine... in their natural condition.... the way nature created them.
Jzer's claim was not about the results of being uncircumcised, but rather that the legitimacy of circumcision was subject to question because lots of men are uncircumcised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
And btw, that's just another myth... about the lemmings committing suicide . It was all staged and created by Disney for a movie. Read what real wildlife biologists have to say about it...
Lemming Suicide Myth, Alaska Department of Fish and Game
I suppose I'll have to find a new analogy for mindlessly following the crowd, but my point still stands.: it is a logical fallacy to state or imply that because something is commonplace, it is therefore good/right/just/moral/wise/acceptable/worthy of being perpetuated/etc.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:30 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:

No, the point is that the other poster's statement was false, because God commanded Abraham to circumcise himself and his descendants. To those such as yourself who don't believe in God, the entire conversation is irrelevant.
You are so wrong.
During the majority of my lifetime it has been done for no reason other than tradition.
With my own son and my grandchildren, I was never asked whether or not I wanted it done nor whether or not I held any religious beliefs. It was....and still often is...just a matter or usual protocol.
Many young women who have just given birth have not even thought about it and are presented with a brief and very bias pronouncement that this will take place

So it may be very relevant to even atheist parents or those that hold no particular religious beliefs about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates