Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 01:17 PM

698 posts, read 589,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
For about the last thirty years, people have been saying it. And I truly have a tough time with it when kids (especially) say it in general conversation to describe something they don't like.
I am a teacher, and in my high school class, I stopped a senior student when he said it. I asked him why he was saying it, he said nothing wrong with "sucks." I then said "sucks what?" The class started laughing and he wouldn't/couldn't answer. Which was my point exactly. My classes now know to be on their toes with "that word."
But it's now mainstream, and it's said on sitcoms and movies as a euphemism for "stinks." Which then makes me wonder if it's lost its obscene background/heritage, which may have never been there to begin with. Years and years ago, for example, people said "suck eggs." So who knows. Maybe I just have MY mind in the gutter.
I know I sound like some get-off-my-lawn grouchy old guy, but I always wince when I hear it.
How old are you? I doubt that anyone under the age of 50 that is not some type of cultural relic has a problem with using the word "suck". The Ned Flanders types and other weirdos maybe but who cares about them anyway.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:18 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,913,094 times
I asked my 13 year old about it, and she said that saying something sucks just means you don't want to do it. Same with saying something blows. She had no idea that there might be anything offensive about the expression.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:20 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,913,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Sports fans chant "ref you suck" during sporting events. Seems acceptable when they do it lol

I only hear that during hockey games and that's pretty mild for a hockey game, really.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:35 PM

8,082 posts, read 10,102,622 times
People walk around with tats and piercings....just like others walk around using the word "sucks".

They may not find it offensive, but it sure helps to define them.

Because it is "popular" doesn't make it any less vulgar.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:59 PM

804 posts, read 1,077,956 times
I like using the f word at work personally. it provides more of a statement.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:50 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,907,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
For about the last thirty years, people have been saying it. And I truly have a tough time with it when kids (especially) say it in general conversation to describe something they don't like.
I am a teacher, and in my high school class, I stopped a senior student when he said it. I asked him why he was saying it, he said nothing wrong with "sucks." I then said "sucks what?" The class started laughing and he wouldn't/couldn't answer. Which was my point exactly. My classes now know to be on their toes with "that word."
But it's now mainstream, and it's said on sitcoms and movies as a euphemism for "stinks." Which then makes me wonder if it's lost its obscene background/heritage, which may have never been there to begin with. Years and years ago, for example, people said "suck eggs." So who knows. Maybe I just have MY mind in the gutter.
I know I sound like some get-off-my-lawn grouchy old guy, but I always wince when I hear it.

I am with you with asking about what something sucks.

I am a Dallas Cowboys fan in the DC area; 10 miles from the stadium to be honest. Redskins fans have always been pretty vulgar in my opinion and when they started wearing T-shirts emblazoned with the words "DALLAS SUCKS" all over them some years back I asked one guy "sucks what?". His response? He said "you know". I told him I didn't and he wouldn't go any further as we were in mixed company. He was wearing the T-shirt but wouldn't explain it. Why wear it?

Yep, it is said all over TV along with frigging these days. Do the Muppets say it yet? Other kiddie shows do.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:53 PM

26,009 posts, read 22,198,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
Well, that is sort of what I was thinking would be offensive. I use "sucks" and I am 60 years old but I would have to admit that they look at me like I just used the "f word" and all that does is encourage me to use it more. I am usually talking about their services or business and "sucks" seems to be mild considering the way I am feeling at the moment.

Seriously, if someone is offended by "sucks", surely they stay off the computer and off the television. We cut cable 7 years ago for offensive language, gushing blood, etc.

I just think "this place sucks" gets the point across without having to go the extra mile and say "this place is f'd up". I don't use the "f word".

Old 04-13-2015, 02:55 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,538,861 times
Another vote in the "I don't like it" category. I know I'm in the minority, but it is just such a low class word to me.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:57 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,928,720 times
I've also heard people say that something "sucks wind." So I supposes that's still another explanation as to "sucks what?" Or it could be said to be short for "sucks the life out of me." I think that the original reference is long buried, since the meaning has softened.
"Blows" on the other hand, still seems like an obscenity to me, but maybe in a few more years, that one will soften too.

I just remembered the first time I heard the term "sucks." It was in the late 70s when I was a kid, and everything seemed to say "disco sucks" (t-shirts, bumper stickers, carvings in the desks at school, graffiti on the bathroom walls). I knew it mean that disco was bad and uncool, but I didn't understand until I was older what the "sucks" part really referred to.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:09 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,445,979 times
Anybody older than 50 will know the original phrase was "sucks c*ck," which was quite an offensive term. "Blows" refers to the same act.
But that was 50 years ago and the words no longer have their same shock factor.

And then we have this fellow:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
That particular Old English word went for centuries unchanged and without losing its shock factor. Today, however, I hear it on TV, on the radio, and at the grocery store. It's teetering on the edge of acceptance.
What will we say now when we want to look tough and shock bystanders?

I still like to jump on people for using it in front of children. It's great fun to see the shamed look on their face when the find out somebody still objects to the word.
Wintersbone, I invite you to use the word at my place of business. You'll find your statement waiting for you as you exit the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates