Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:31 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times

Advertisements

I consider myself an Awesome-American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 10:09 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,138,222 times
As I believe I've said in some other thread previously, I don't believe in hyphenated Americans. The very idea is insulting in my opinion.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:24 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
What about the ABCs? American-born Chinese. They took hyphenation themselves to a whole new level by turning around and shortening their self-identification to three letters!

Old 04-17-2015, 07:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
^ it's shorter than banana... yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

/ABC

Let's just call each other red-blooded Americans. Can't lose there.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:12 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,797 times
American is not an ethnicity, it's kind of like the word Hispanic when used alone, not as specific

using your ethnicity before American has more of an Identity in my opinion

the word American is more of a culture not an ethnicty, I would rather claim US citizenship than call myself an American, lots of people have become naturalized US citizens but they are not born here, so it's better for them to claim US citizen instead of American.

to me American is like saying your a "Heinz 57" mixed breed, I guess if your mixed with multiple ethnic groups American makes more sense, kinda like the word Mexican a mixture of races

Old 04-17-2015, 08:08 PM

229 posts, read 382,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Actually, why should we designate by country of origin at all?

Let's take it a step further and state that we're all Earthlings! Well, aren't we? And, sorry, no... I don't believe in extra-terrestrials!
Let's go even further and just be carbon-based life forms

Old 04-18-2015, 02:44 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A quadroon is an old term for a person who is one-quarter black; obviously, an octoroon is therefore a term for a person who is one-eighth black. I have never heard the terms used in real life, only in books that are written or take place in the nineteenth century.
Thank you for explaining this to me. It's a good thing we've gotten rid of some labels.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:48 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
As I believe I've said in some other thread previously, I don't believe in hyphenated Americans. The very idea is insulting in my opinion.
Agreed.

Here is a link to the transcript of Teddy Roosevelt's "America for Americans" speech, in which he rejected hyphenated Americanism.

http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/im...eeches/672.pdf

Old 04-18-2015, 05:28 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ it's shorter than banana... yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

/ABC

Let's just call each other red-blooded Americans. Can't lose there.
I knew an ABC who called himself a Twinkie.

Yep, Americans come in many looks, but we're all Americans.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:28 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
Most of the names around the world that associate people with their native countries are actually derived from the name of the country. For example:

Canada - Canadian
Mexico - Mexican
Colombia - Colombian
Spain - Spanish
France - French
Russia - Russian

but then you have..

United States - American

It probably comes from America, as in "United States of America," since it's simpler and sounds better than calling them Uniteds or Statians or Uni-Statians or something else.

Someone mentioned naturalized citizens.... From what I've heard people from other countries say, the specific designation like (she's French or he's Spanish) only applies to native borns.... they consider others that settled in their country to be a separate category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates