Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 08:12 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,386,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Sure seem to be a lot of men who think they need sex so badly they might become ill if they don't have it, though.
Sure. In spite of gender equality motion, men have different physiology. People will regret when they will lose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 08:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Why people don't like to using birth control?
It is simple solutions to unwanted children or STI.
I use birth control and have sex life.
I wasn't going to post because the thread has become so long, but figured I'd pop in with a bit of info I read awhile back- a young woman who went to a dr. for birth control pills was 'mildly attacked' by her friends who said 'only wh*res use birth control.' Seems the dopey idea is it's fine to lose control in the spur of the moment, but 'planning' is looked at by some as being horrible. So maybe that's one reason some have numerous unwanted children- they're led to believe it's bad to be responsible.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
First off, that is wikipedia, not a reputable source. Secondly, it is just explaining what an unintended pregnancy is and how they occur. We already no this: not using or improper use of contraceptives. I asked for proof of ease of availability of birth control. You keep saying birth control is so easy to get, so everyone should have it. Prove how easy it is. Lastly, it does say this under "preventions:"

"Providing contraceptives and family planning services at low or no cost to the user helps prevent unintended pregnancies. Many of those at risk of unintended pregnancy have little income, so even though contraceptives are highly cost-effective,[35] up front cost can be a barrier. Subsidized family planning services improve the health of the population and saves money for governments and health insurers by reducing medical,[13] education and other costs to society."

Which is what I've been trying to tell you. This along with more and more restrictions is why many women who WANT birth control, can not get it.
Mail order medicine which I used for my pills would eliminate the pharmacy visit and all the women have to do make a visit when there refills is up .
Birth control seem to be reasonable priced
There is plenty of health centers for women in left wing states but there still single mother hood problem in certain areas.
What about the men?
Men get condom without any doctor and they are highly effective.
Wikipedia now has sources cited sources.
Cost of Birth Control Pills - Consumer Information
10 Ways to Save Money on Birth Control | Women's Health Magazine
The Real Cost of Birth Control - US News

Last edited by Sommie789; 04-20-2015 at 08:30 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 09:03 PM

510 posts, read 716,675 times
This problem of lack of responsibility for birth control and STD prevention is a very American problem. Nearly every industrialized country has much, much lower rates of unplanned pregnancy (around 50% of births in the US) and STDs. Don't take my word for it; you may find info on a site by American Sexual Health or the Center for Disease Control (you can google either to reach them).

As far as patterns of using condoms or other barrier methods, many people will use them with an occasional or new partner. With their regular partner, they won't because they are more comfortable with them, but not necessarily at lower risk.

Finding out you have an STD is a real drag (I'm a counselor at an STD/HIV clinic) but at least 1 in 4 Americans will get an STD in their lifetime. So, any theories on WHY Americans have this issue?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:25 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
If you are a woman and done having kids (even if done=0) you can get your tubes plugged with a procedure known as "Adiana". It's an outpatient procedure and requires 2 visits to the doc, one to have it done, and a 2nd to make sure it worked.

But beware... It is permanent. Never say never, but I have not heard of anyone EVER getting pregnant after this procedure. You have to be absolutely sure you're done having kids.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this procedure, my wife had it done.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
If you are a woman and done having kids (even if done=0) you can get your tubes plugged with a procedure known as "Adiana". It's an outpatient procedure and requires 2 visits to the doc, one to have it done, and a 2nd to make sure it worked.

But beware... It is permanent. Never say never, but I have not heard of anyone EVER getting pregnant after this procedure. You have to be absolutely sure you're done having kids.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this procedure, my wife had it done.
Except that...oh yeah, Adiana isn't available anymore.

And Essure, which is supposed to be a similar procedure, is being investigated for complications.

Again, birth control for women is MORE COMPLICATED that people seem to think it is. It isn't always as easy as popping a pill.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:58 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Mail order medicine which I used for my pills would eliminate the pharmacy visit and all the women have to do make a visit when there refills is up .
Birth control seem to be reasonable priced
There is plenty of health centers for women in left wing states but there still single mother hood problem in certain areas.
What about the men?
Men get condom without any doctor and they are highly effective.
Wikipedia now has sources cited sources.
Cost of Birth Control Pills - Consumer Information
10 Ways to Save Money on Birth Control | Women's Health Magazine
The Real Cost of Birth Control - US News
You still have to go to the doctor to get your prescription. What is reasonably priced for you can mean not eating for a minimum wage worker. Condoms can do the job, but are one of the least effective with of about 18% fail rate. Also if you are in s committed relationship, you won't want to use condoms.

Everything has a fail rate.
CDC - Contraception - Reproductive Health

Single parenthood can not and will never be illuminated. It can be reduced though. Colorado started giving away free birth control to teens. Guess what, teen birth rates dropped. As I mentioned earlier, Texas is an abstinence only state and hostile towards reproductive care, highest rate of teen moms with two or more kids. IT'S ALL ABOUT ACCESSIBILITY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
This problem of lack of responsibility for birth control and STD prevention is a very American problem. Nearly every industrialized country has much, much lower rates of unplanned pregnancy (around 50% of births in the US) and STDs. Don't take my word for it; you may find info on a site by American Sexual Health or the Center for Disease Control (you can google either to reach them).

As far as patterns of using condoms or other barrier methods, many people will use them with an occasional or new partner. With their regular partner, they won't because they are more comfortable with them, but not necessarily at lower risk.

Finding out you have an STD is a real drag (I'm a counselor at an STD/HIV clinic) but at least 1 in 4 Americans will get an STD in their lifetime. So, any theories on WHY Americans have this issue?
Every other industrialized country has subsidized or single payer, or public insurance coverage. The US does not, though Obamacare is a step in that direction. And guess who opposes this type of insurance? Conservatives. And thanks to Hobby Lobby, corporations are allowed to deny women access to certain types of birth control based on their religious beliefs. Who knew corporations had religious beliefs? Again, thanks to conservatives.
Every other industrialized country is also lessening restrictions on abortions, while the US is moving backwards and strengthening restrictions on abortions. You know who to thank for that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Except that...oh yeah, Adiana isn't available anymore.

And Essure, which is supposed to be a similar procedure, is being investigated for complications.

Again, birth control for women is MORE COMPLICATED that people seem to think it is. It isn't always as easy as popping a pill.
Even if this were available here, how much would that cost? I doubt a low income woman could afford it and as you said it's permanent. This would not work for women wishing to simply delay pregnancy.

Last edited by Pennies4Penny; 04-20-2015 at 11:14 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 11:22 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
For the majority it is as easy as popping a pill or getting an IUD or using condoms.

What happened to you that you are so "birth control for women is COMPLICATED"?

Everyone knows there are risks involved and nothing is ever 100%.

This isn't news.

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-20-2015 at 11:36 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 11:47 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Y
Even if this were available here, how much would that cost? I doubt a low income woman could afford it and as you said it's permanent. This would not work for women wishing to simply delay pregnancy.
Who cares how much it costs?

Buy and USE condoms.

Better than nothing.

Can't afford condoms, being "low income"? Please, what you really can't afford is to have unprotected sex and having a baby (or ANOTHER baby) to raise. So don't have unprotected sex.

Some poster claimed having sex is a right. No one says it isn't. But if you are too poor or too "whatever" to deal with the consequences of having sex…you might want to reevaluate how you go about exercising that "right".

At least TRY to NOT get knocked up.

You don't have to be a brain surgeon to understand the basics.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
You still have to go to the doctor to get your prescription. What is reasonably priced for you can mean not eating for a minimum wage worker. Condoms can do the job, but are one of the least effective with of about 18% fail rate. Also if you are in s committed relationship, you won't want to use condoms.

Everything has a fail rate.
CDC - Contraception - Reproductive Health

Single parenthood can not and will never be illuminated. It can be reduced though. Colorado started giving away free birth control to teens. Guess what, teen birth rates dropped. As I mentioned earlier, Texas is an abstinence only state and hostile towards reproductive care, highest rate of teen moms with two or more kids. IT'S ALL ABOUT ACCESSIBILITY.

Every other industrialized country has subsidized or single payer, or public insurance coverage. The US does not, though Obamacare is a step in that direction. And guess who opposes this type of insurance? Conservatives. And thanks to Hobby Lobby, corporations are allowed to deny women access to certain types of birth control based on their religious beliefs. Who knew corporations had religious beliefs? Again, thanks to conservatives.
Every other industrialized country is also lessening restrictions on abortions, while the US is moving backwards and strengthening restrictions on abortions. You know who to thank for that to

Male condoms are highly effective and they don't have of 18 percent failure rate.Female birth control will not protect you against any STI. I told guys I will not have sex with them if them they do not use condoms and only guy had a problem with it and I give him the boot.15-50 dollars for pills a month or buying condoms is reasonably than raising your kids on minium wage. There is at two plan parenthood in each state so the that will work with people with no insurance

Last edited by Sommie789; 04-21-2015 at 03:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates