Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:01 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew_B View Post
It's not all the fault of the "American" corporation. We have a gubermint that only understands penalties, taxation, and special interest. Under our current status quoe it’s not hard to understand why outsourcing is preferred. Not that I like it, I just understand why.
Taxes as a % of GDP from corporations is now around 1.6%, down from 5%. Yes the "ebil gubermint" is taking less.

Also a fun note for those complaining about China and the race to the bottom, if it helps they are getting theirs and are beginning to experience companies leaving China for Vietnam as they chase the cheapest labor.

But no worries....automation is also beginning to hit everywhere. We are seeing the very leading edge of it impact labor. All the while the rich get richer, the middle class disappears, and the poor tread water. And China is really seeing the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 05:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
something I noticed that wasnt so common like today is it seems everybody wants something for free or they think they're entitled and complain about the stupidest things that people didnt do in the old days, at least nothing like how it is now.

are Americans getting weak, soft? I cant even go a day without somebody trying to ask for donations or panhandling, not just homeless, it seems everybody wants a tip? or a free handout?

when I was a kid people begging or holding signs asking for money was something you would only see in a big city.

now even the smallest towns have people panhandling / begging in front of Walmart, the grocery store, even the swap meet, at the flea market, they're is a guy in a white uniform asking people to donate money?

it use to be only during Christmas season you would see a person ringing a bell asking people to donate to the Salvation Army, now it's all year around.

begging or asking for donations has become a full time career / occupation.
A few years back a local radio station sent a bunch of interns out to panhandle. The money was going to a charity. The lowest amount of money brought in was $450, the highest was $1200. In ONE DAY.
Before I do a real donation I check the charity out thoroughly. I don't do ANY fund me page

Old 05-16-2015, 09:26 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
OP, can you lend me $100? please?

If you agree to pay it back next time you pass Go.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
A few years back a local radio station sent a bunch of interns out to panhandle. The money was going to a charity. The lowest amount of money brought in was $450, the highest was $1200. In ONE DAY.
Before I do a real donation I check the charity out thoroughly. I don't do ANY fund me page

I've always suspected that 'results may vary', i.e. some people are just a lot more attractive panhandlers than others. I've worked in convenience stores with panhandlers coming in from time to time to convert their loot and usually what I see are pocketfuls of pennies, nickels, and dimes.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Amazing post, i've noticed this too, can't go anywhere without getting accosted for cash....i was trying to get into the 7-11 the other day and this "bonnie and clyde" couple were super aggressive with anyone who walks into the store, just really on top of you, it wasn't even a "True homeless person" who you could tell was really homeless, it was just 2 kids who decided they needed some cash.

Seems like almost every red light i'm stopped at there's a beggar on the median, i agree, everyone wants a handout.

I tell people if they want handouts, take a college course.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:38 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew_B View Post
It's not all the fault of the "American" corporation.
I suppose a weak argument could be made that it's really the fault of the lobbying interests hired by those "American" corporations.

Quote:
We have a gubermint that only understands penalties, taxation, and special interest. Under our current status quoe it’s not hard to understand why outsourcing is preferred. Not that I like it, I just understand why.
And enough of the officeholders are in the pocket of the corporations to ensure that corporate interests always trump the public good.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:04 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,416 times
I think world become a cruel and cold place.

Part of people are ill, alcoholics etc. to not be able to care of themselves.. Well.. If you would have some physical or mental illnes would you be okay to be threwn into street? Because you did not choose to be the ill one here? Nobody want to be that person with problems. But people are acting like they would "choose" to have a cancer, choose to have personal disorder, mental or physical ilness, choose to be treated ****ty as kid which leaved them alone and gone with alcohol.

No, people don't want to be like that. They don't choose to be poor either.

Think that person who was bullied at school or at home. They don't choose to be bullied and be treated poorly. They don't choose their thinking to turn into wrong way because of this bullying. They would want to get over it and have a new start.

But media is full of news where one is bullied at one school, moves but social media already told new school students to continue bullying, then if able to graduate maybe work place is bullying this person too. It is not the victim who is continuing this. Victim never asked to get bullied at first place!

Who is actually rounding this "victim culture" ? Those who are causing and supporting this bully culture. There are no victims without someone who is leaving them outside.

Are you once rejected some person? Society rejects and repel people. Since some person borns into some family, that baby has the whole world either against or beside her or him. Society seems to love labelling and discrimination. Look at CD too. Exactly same "you are indian", "you are not scandinavian", "you are single" , people share authority of views by where they live, how much money they have, are they married or not and how good are their language skills etc.

Labelling

Then people are judging these people which they just dropped into third class. They are nothing, they are weak...

It is society who is judging these people.

Brain and mind structures are different in different people. People don't choose to be depressed, people don't choose to be ugly, people don't choose to be rejected, people don't choose to be "third class citizens. Other people teach those people they are ugly, dump, etc. Nobody originally think that of themselves because is taught what that is. Kids only lern what is taught to them. If society would not teach some people are ugly, poor and dump there would not be single ugly, poor or dup person in the world!

Life is pushing them slowly, society is pushing them slowly. Society wants to make sure they are "outsiders" . Society rejects.

And those some people who have one or 2 similar problems but managed to survive are suprisely one of the most mockers. "I did, I could, so everyone else can also" Well, people have different physical and mental abilities, they are from different families, they went different schools, they have different type of friends, different type of life experiments, they have been treated diffenetly by different (or even by same) people etc.

Nobody is exactly clone of you even there would be something in common.

For example during modernization and technology there is no much "simple jobs" to do for "simple people" (disabilities, physical problems etc.). Robots are mostly doing these simple jobs. So according to "old times" when also big part of disabled people could work, there is no easy jobs anymore.

Also if there would be, society made sure nobody want to do them. They are treated poorly and kicked mentally if not physically. Who would want to work long hours meanwhile this bully society is teling you are the lowest bottom crap?

It is not only individuals fault, it is big part of rejecting from society around. Society should stop rejecting, labelling and bullying and then give a second look.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:31 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Automation has taken away jobs and made the rest of the jobs not keep up with the inflation rate over the last 30 years. Most jobs available and there were many more available that you could simply walk off the street and get a living wage from, paid almost twice what they pay today adjusted for inflation, from trucking to making pots and pans.

All my relatives told me what they made at various jobs back in 1980 and I look at what they start out at and pay today.. not only is the pay way less, but there's no pensions anymore either.

People have a right to not want to work slave labor for $11 per hour so I don't blame them for complaining about that. College is quite expensive so racking up tens of thousands in debt people better be damn sure they are in a field that is in demand and pays, and even then, there's no guarantee.

Most careers that pay, not all, are fast paced, stressful, requiring more overtime with less time off as people try to minimize manpower and maximize profits. It's getting to the point where I'd rather just buy a cheap mobile home in a park somewhere and live as dirt cheap as possible. Anytime there's the least amount of work in a town it tends to drive real estate prices up as people are willing to both work full time and live paycheck to paycheck to get by, which I won't do.

I'd rather there be super high interest rates with lower base prices so I could come close to saving up to pay for a house outright than financing and being a debt slave for the majority of my life.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:27 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb Has the US become a nation of beggers, whiney, entitled bunch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
something I noticed that wasnt so common like today is it seems everybody wants something for free or they think they're entitled and complain about the stupidest things that people didnt do in the old days, at least nothing like how it is now.

are Americans getting weak, soft? I cant even go a day without somebody trying to ask for donations or panhandling, not just homeless, it seems everybody wants a tip? or a free handout?

when I was a kid people begging or holding signs asking for money was something you would only see in a big city.

now even the smallest towns have people panhandling / begging in front of Walmart, the grocery store, even the swap meet, at the flea market, they're is a guy in a white uniform asking people to donate money?

it use to be only during Christmas season you would see a person ringing a bell asking people to donate to the Salvation Army, now it's all year around.

begging or asking for donations has become a full time career / occupation.

Nope.

But we have become a nation with several million loudly whimpering right wingers who "want their country back!"

Old 05-17-2015, 01:41 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
I think this has always been around, although It seems to be increasing for sure as time goes by. We have been approached many times for money by those "less fortunate". Maybe some truely are, but many also put themselves their by alcohol/drug abuse or laziness.

As far as donating, yes it seems to be increasing but just don't donate then. Most are going to reputable charities, just have to watch for those that are scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates