Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:54 PM

722 posts, read 1,332,506 times

Advertisements

something I noticed that wasnt so common like today is it seems everybody wants something for free or they think they're entitled and complain about the stupidest things that people didnt do in the old days, at least nothing like how it is now.

are Americans getting weak, soft? I cant even go a day without somebody trying to ask for donations or panhandling, not just homeless, it seems everybody wants a tip? or a free handout?

when I was a kid people begging or holding signs asking for money was something you would only see in a big city.

now even the smallest towns have people panhandling / begging in front of Walmart, the grocery store, even the swap meet, at the flea market, they're is a guy in a white uniform asking people to donate money?

it use to be only during Christmas season you would see a person ringing a bell asking people to donate to the Salvation Army, now it's all year around.

begging or asking for donations has become a full time career / occupation.

Last edited by green papaya; 04-30-2015 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 01:00 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,063,751 times
There are more people in the world these days than when you were a kid. Thus, there are more people competing for limited resources that will support them economically and with basic material needs. People also see what others have that they desperately want too, so, they complain and conspire to keep up with the Joneses.

Me, I see what I want and I just work harder to get it.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:26 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,696,350 times
Give if your conscious leads you to do so, and don't if you feel otherwise. You can't help everybody out there, but I have no problem helping out a person who is down on their luck when I can. I also try to be aware of the scammers out there.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:30 PM

387 posts, read 590,428 times
OP, can you lend me $100? please?

Old 04-30-2015, 01:51 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,018,202 times
WE have a culture of victims....no more pride in self-sufficiency...anyone under 50 years old has been told over and over that they don't have to do anything for themselves...and this is the result. It's very sad.

I hope our next president has the balls to tell it like it is...end the "giveaways", and foster a sense of pride in America once again.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:05 PM

26,033 posts, read 22,225,100 times
Sadly, begging pays better than many jobs do? Saw an article in the 90s in Tucson, AZ newspaper and a couple of guys together were bringing in about $33,000 a year, tax free. Not bad and more than if they had been working minimum wage jobs.

I think a lot of the issue is the new "everyone is a winner" and you don't need to put any effort into that. Everyone gets a ribbon. Unfortunately, in the real world outside of school, you have to compete and everyone doesn't get a ribbon. They leave school whether it be high school or college with the idea that the world is waiting for them which includes a job that they will enjoy, makes lots of money, have really good hours and have great benefits.

Another group though that "beg" are the homeless. The government wanted to save money by closing hospitals and trying to save money in other ways with mental health. They claimed it was the "rights" of the people involved that were an issue but it was saving money. It is unfortunate that some of these people cannot take care of themselves yet are just released and not given the support they need. I know military veterans do make up a segment of the homeless and finally, the politicians are putting the squeeze on VA hospitals and trying to make sure all can access needed/desired services.

Whiney is spoiled.

Outside of what I have brought up, the issue is a growing lack of personal responsibility: "It isn't my fault." Therefore, I don't have do anything unless you hook me up!

Old 04-30-2015, 07:16 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,717,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
something I noticed that wasnt so common like today is it seems everybody wants something for free or they think they're entitled and complain about the stupidest things that people didnt do in the old days, at least nothing like how it is now.

are Americans getting weak, soft? I cant even go a day without somebody trying to ask for donations or panhandling, not just homeless, it seems everybody wants a tip? or a free handout?

when I was a kid people begging or holding signs asking for money was something you would only see in a big city.

now even the smallest towns have people panhandling / begging in front of Walmart, the grocery store, even the swap meet, at the flea market, they're is a guy in a white uniform asking people to donate money?

it use to be only during Christmas season you would see a person ringing a bell asking people to donate to the Salvation Army, now it's all year around.

I completely agree. EVERYWHERE I go someone has their hand out. I drive to work everyday and almost every light I stop at there is someone begging me for money.....or a handout or donation. It's so annoying some days. Like "no, stop being poor you're annoying and you look ugly begging, stop."

Old 04-30-2015, 10:33 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,181,693 times
Yes! The homeless population has definitely increased in the past 5+ years. I blame a lot of this on the economy, but also I do agree that many people feel entitled to get something for nothing.

Going along with this, I think a lot of these people are just lazy....

Old 05-01-2015, 03:33 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,725,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post

Amazing post, i've noticed this too, can't go anywhere without getting accosted for cash....i was trying to get into the 7-11 the other day and this "bonnie and clyde" couple were super aggressive with anyone who walks into the store, just really on top of you, it wasn't even a "True homeless person" who you could tell was really homeless, it was just 2 kids who decided they needed some cash.

Seems like almost every red light i'm stopped at there's a beggar on the median, i agree, everyone wants a handout.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:50 AM

1,011 posts, read 717,453 times
Maybe you should try it and see what it's like, go out with a sign asking for money, and free handouts, for one week. See what happens to your ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates