Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 08:30 AM

393 posts, read 307,056 times

Advertisements

Restaurant Servers: When some servers come to the table, the customer is telling the server a list of things, for some weird reason they are ready to close their book and/or walk away BEFORE you have A CHANCE to say every single thing that you want to ask for.

I do this to get better service to ask for lots of things at once so I am not waiting a long time for every single thing. To not run my server so that way it's in one trip.

Also, most servers for some reason will not write down boxes, bags, check, to-go condiment containers, to-go soft drinks, etc. Then I have the server forgetting something usually, because they were too lazy to write things down.

The thing that bothers me the most is the not letting me FINISH my turn asking for all the items I want. I just had a waitress a few months ago, in the MIDDLE of me ordering close her book TWICE and then not write down the condiments only to forget 1 of them and not even apologize for it.

While I understand completely you servers have other customers, we should still get OUR TURN in 100% FULLNESS and it hurts you as well by having to make more trips.

I see all the time servers complain on the internet about "They ran me", NO, we aren't running you, you aren't staying put so we can tell you the entire list at ONCE so you can make ONE TRIP. For example, that waitress I talked about could have made one trip, but decided to make us(me and my husband) wait several minutes after having the box, bag, container for my ranch, bag, and to-go soft drink to bring the check. She could have brought that in her apron pocket made ONE trip.

So my question is WHY walk away so I can't say everything I need? I am STILL going to ask for the items NO MATTER WHAT, so it's not going to help you to walk away quickly.

I understand servers have other customers, but HOW is it going to help you to walk away if I am going to need all of these items REGARDLESS? This is just really an annoying thing in restaurants it's like they want the tip, but don't want to actual WORK for it. It's a job you servers out there that do this. I should have a right to ask for a box, a container for my condiments, a bag, the check all at ONCE without you running away. You also should be writing those things down. I have had a NUMBER of servers over the years that just can't handle even just 3 or 4 things to remember and have to ask for it again.

I am doing this for me mostly to get faster service, but I am also trying as well not to run my server. I wouldn't want to see my server be ran. That's not a nice thing to do to someone, no matter what.

So my question is, WHY be in such a rush to leave when it's actually quicker if you stay an extra few seconds literally to see I am going to say "a bag, etc.?" I think it has to do with they don't want to write all of those things down, nor do they want to do all of those things.

A few months ago, I had to say "I'm not finished yet" to the server when I was ordering my food. The server should be repeating the order and asking "Is that all" to the customer to ensure correctness. I really think it honestly has to do with not wanting to do ANY WORK for the money. You can't be pissed a customer ran you if you don't give them a CHANCE to say everything they needed.To servers, do you see how you all are making your tip not be higher by aggravating the customer like this by being rude and making the customer wait A LOT LONGER for their items? I think some of these servers think "I was right, this person wasn't going to tip well", but they don't quite understand if they would have stayed put, they would have had a much higher tip. I am not going to tip someone well that is making me wait a lot longer, because they are too lazy to get their pad and pen to write my request down and that they don't care about wasting my time by wanting my request to take longer so I wait longer.

To servers, I am not sure when I am saying something, they are like already walking away? I am not being mean about it or anything. I am ask nicely about what I want, they just are like rushy and at times it's like it's not even busy and have had servers do this.

An example, they will offer "You need a box", then I will say "A box, a bag", then walk away BEFORE I can say "containers for my condiments, the check, and a coke to-go." That's a prime example of what happens or they will just go with "yes" for the bag question and leave.

Another example would be they come to the table I say "I would like a box, containers for the condiments", then leave when I had other things to ask for.

It's like are servers just too lazy to write down requests? WHY do you servers want to make 2 trips, because I am not going to let up and not ask? Why would you want to make more trips? Why rush off so quickly I can't ask for everything?

Another example, I may say "I would like a box and a bag", then the server gets that and the check when we wanted to order a dessert but had like NO CHANCE to even say that they just assumed we were full, not that we wanted dessert.

When ordering I may say I would like such-n-such with fries with no seasoning, then they close the book BEFORE I have a chance to say "I would like a side of ranch for the fries as well."

IT'S SO IRRITATING it's like they want the money, but DON'T WANT TO DO ALL THE WORK IT TAKES TO GET THE TIP. I don't understand? I am going to make the server make another trip or more than 2 trips if necessary, because I will get what the items I want for the tip we give. I have a right to be satisfied with the money we are paying just as anyone else.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:35 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,715,750 times
This isn't a debate...great or other wise. You have shown your self to be a horrible restaurant patron in thread after thread.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:36 AM

393 posts, read 307,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
This isn't a debate...great or other wise. You have shown your self to be a horrible restaurant patron in thread after thread.
But I am NOT a horrible person. I am trying to make their job easier to make one trip. HOW IS THAT BEING HORRIBLE? That's being VERY CONSIDERATE and you know it. Servers complain about being ran. You do realize they complain about that, right? I mean who wants to get one item at a time for a table to make a zillion trips, huh?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:39 AM

I never said you are a horrible person...you may or may not be....you are a horrible restaurant patron.

You have vastly unrealstic expectations of service...a 5 star would have problems with you. You degrade servers for the fact that they are servers and aren't able to read your mind and don't go things exactly as you think they should...even though you know nothing of their job.

It gets old to be honest....and the one common denominator in all of this is you. If you always get bad service...it's you. There is no debate here. You probably only posted it here because the last time you posted one of these rants to denigrate servers you had your ass handed to you on the food forum.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:37 PM

6,598 posts, read 5,000,655 times
If you order the way you tell your stories..... They probably thought you were done more than once during your dissertation and that's why they closed their books.

I couldn't even make it halfway through your original post.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
If you order the way you tell your stories..... They probably thought you were done more than once during your dissertation and that's why they closed their books.

I couldn't even make it halfway through your original post.
That very well may be a practical part of the problem.... but it's not the whole story...just a contributing factor.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:04 PM

61,888 posts, read 87,385,514 times
Another whiny thread ...
Makes me wonder why all those "horrible" thinks happen to you: the line cutters, the parking spot takers, the service at the restaurants...
Can't wait to read your next Great Debate topic...

Last edited by elnina; 05-03-2015 at 09:14 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 09:36 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,780,285 times
OP, your whiny thread is way too long to read.

I can't finish it because I do not have any good cheese to eat with this whine.

If these bad things happen to you once, then it's probably them. However, if they keep happening to you, then it's probably you.

You might be one of those customers who when you walk in the door, the serving staff are arguing amongst themselves to NOT have your table.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,313,415 times
Why in the world would you think that giving a server a list of 25 things you want is making their job easier?
Do you think they actually have time to stand there and takes notes for one person?

No they do not, it is easier for them to have several customers they are getting things for at the same time.
For example you all need napkins, forks, spoons, paper bags and dressing.
When they go to get your items they can also grab enough for the other 4 customers they have.
Then if/when you need something additional they can grab that for you specifically.

You would do well to be a server and have a customer just like you. It may change your idea of how "easy" it is to be a server.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,313,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
But I am NOT a horrible person. I am trying to make their job easier to make one trip. HOW IS THAT BEING HORRIBLE? That's being VERY CONSIDERATE and you know it. Servers complain about being ran. You do realize they complain about that, right? I mean who wants to get one item at a time for a table to make a zillion trips, huh?

Why do you need so many items when you dine out?
Why not save yourself some money and save some servers some aggrivation and cook at home.
Then you can get all of your required items at one time for yourself and it will save you money, time and frustration at the end of the day.

It is not being considerate, it is being a very needy pain in the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.