Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 02:29 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
What if you didnt own any firearms and you had to protect yourself from possible vicious dogs / pitt bull attack?
Why deny yourself the most effective weapon to neutralize a threat?

All other weapons require to get within the dog's lunging range.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:39 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post

This is what I think, too!

I have a CCW in 2 states and almost always carry. I am not a criminal. But the gov't wants us to be victims, guilty until proven innocent. If a pack of feral dogs comes onto our property, or even a coyote who menaces our livestock or dogs (let alone people!) they WILL be shot.

Guns are not just for shooting people...no matter what the media wants you to think!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:18 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:

Presumably because in many political jurisdictions you will be defending yourself from a police K-9 and spend some time in country jail until the situation is straightened out.

Other second tier weapons, swords, knives and even baseball bats may draw the same police response.

So that leaves some sort of shield backed up by an irritant spray. And some kind of club the police won't bother you about. The problem becomes those lightweight golfing clubs and walking sticks are not effective against a weaponized breed of animal.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:36 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Presumably because in many political jurisdictions you will be defending yourself from a police K-9 and spend some time in country jail until the situation is straightened out.

Other second tier weapons, swords, knives and even baseball bats may draw the same police response.

So that leaves some sort of shield backed up by an irritant spray. And some kind of club the police won't bother you about. The problem becomes those lightweight golfing clubs and walking sticks are not effective against a weaponized breed of animal.
The OP said nothing about a police K9; that completely changes the entire dynamic.

If it's the case that the dog in question is a K9 officer, then you'd best not attempt to harm it.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:16 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,020 times
Default dog owners

the real problem is dog owners, they dont realize how dangerous their dogs are,a dog can snarl at you and look menacing and all the owner can say is 'he wont bite', of course the dog is not going to bite the owner!
I have been bitten twice and its not fun a dogs teeth are like razar blades.carrying a stick is a good idea but it can be inconvenient if you have other stuff you have to carry and it maybe difficult if you have to walk into a restaurant or store or get on a bus.pepper spray is a good bet. the next dog that bits me will get a snoot full and the owner will get a double dose!!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Best advice for breaking up a dog fight or stopping an attack: lift up the dog's back legs as high as you can (get the dog near vertical if you can). Dog gets distracted or off balanced trying to fight on just two legs and will lose concentration.If the dog breaks its grip and turns to lunge at you as you're doing this, simply turn around, keeping it off balance. Pull it away from the other dog/person

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtu...aking-dogfight
How to Safely Break Up a Dog Fight | The Dogington Post

The key weapon against vicious dogs is knowledge (I know, cheesy answer). Seriously, I'm amazed by how little people know about basic dog behavior. I'm even more amazed by how many people who want to own big, tough looking dogs know absolutely nada about dogs. People run away from dogs when they should be confronting them. Act dominant and fierce and the dog is likely to back down (heck, people have used such tactics on attacking BEARS and other wild predators). Running away just kicks on their prey drive and, let's face it, you're not out-running a dog, so why try?

Also, learning about a dog's body language help. If you see a stray dog in your path, you should be able to tell just by looking at it whether the dog is a threat or not (of course, this isn't always 100% guaranteed). I come across stray dogs all the time and this has kept me safe.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtu...-body-language
http://moderndogmagazine.com/article...y-language/415

Old 05-15-2015, 11:56 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is what I think, too!

I have a CCW in 2 states and almost always carry. I am not a criminal. But the gov't wants us to be victims, guilty until proven innocent. If a pack of feral dogs comes onto our property, or even a coyote who menaces our livestock or dogs (let alone people!) they WILL be shot.

Guns are not just for shooting people...no matter what the media wants you to think!
I agree. But in many parts of the country, including where I live (San Francisco), it's generally illegal to carry a firearm. Even knives or mace are highly restricted.

(Well technically you 'can' get a concealed carry purpose, but it's extremely difficult to get. They're basically only issued to those who legitimately have someone specifically after them NOW making death threats, who can't avoid them any other way, and who cops can't even handle....so unless you're on the run from the mob, you're SOL.)

Old 05-16-2015, 07:26 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
The OP said nothing about a police K9; that completely changes the entire dynamic.

If it's the case that the dog in question is a K9 officer, then you'd best not attempt to harm it.
You missed the point. That being carrying a weapon around will draw the police and then your weapon which you are not allowed to carry may only be used against an officer and not the stray dog or family pet which escaped its fence.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:52 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,487 times
Some have discussed what to do if the dog is already on you or someone else. I can't comment on that very much as I haven't really thought of a good solution. That being said, I live in a carry state so having a gun on you isn't a red flag to the cops. I'd certainly rather not shoot a dog if I didn't absolutely have to but if a strong dog has got someone down I'm not really sure what else you could use to get them off.

At a distance though I might suggest bear spray. It's a very strong blast of pepper spray with a long distance of travel and it's very effective. For example hikers in Glacier, Yellowstone and other places where grizzly bear encounters are not uncommon are strongly urged to carry bear spray. It's about the most effective way to stop a grizzly charge at 20' - 30'. They have very sensitive noses and they mind a huge blast of pepper in their face more than they mind handgun rounds. If it can stop a grizzly in it's tracks then I think it would discourage an angry charging dog. And you don't have to get into it with an owner after killing their dog.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:21 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
I don't know this for a fact, but I've read that a blast from a fire extinguisher will neutralize a dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates