Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 02:48 AM

6,385 posts, read 6,272,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I think my brother and his 6 kids will take care of that. Besides, having kids so your genes won't die out is a pretty sad reason for having them. Having kids is supposed to be about the kids, not you.
^ Right on. Too bad that the majority of bio parents don't feel this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Yes, but I think we should call it "Day of the Lost" because your genetic line will end forever. It should include both those who chose not to have children and those who were unable to have children before they died. It can be a day of remembrance for all those unique combinations of genes that are--or will be--no longer part of the Human Race.
^ It's attitudes like this which makes a "Pride Day" necessary. Why don't you just throw most gays into your "lost generation" Ms Stein.

Quote:
Laura Ingalls Wilder had no male heirs to pass her name to and her only daughter had no kids. Yet we all know and remember her. It's what you do in this life that counts, not what you breed.
^ Is that the ignorant narcissistic right-winged radio mascot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 07:15 AM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No. I'm a happily childless woman, therefore, EVERY day is a celebration. I don't need to pick a special day. I'm happy because I don't have to worry about kids, pay for a babysitter to do anything special with my fiancee, avoid watching R rated movies, put off vacations or going out, rearrange work schedules, rearrange life schedules, or be unable to afford most things that I want, unlike many of the people I know with kids. Of course, everyone lives their life as they choose, and those couples with kids feel that the joy they get from their children is worth those trade-offs. But in my world, every day is Personal Freedom Day
I agree! Every day is a celebration

Old 05-16-2015, 07:46 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,047 times
Tell you what, why don't you take a week off work in May or September, jump on a plane, take a sleeping pill and sleep the whole way to your destination, then hike up some really punishing mountains or wander in bazaars bargaining with vendors or sleep on a beach, and we'll call that your special day. Or you could just head straight home from work tonight, eat ice cream for dinner and fall asleep watching breaking bad reruns. That's a special priveledge of the childless.

If you desperately want a day when a small person makes you a macaroni necklace and some misshapen snot-enriched pancakes, then I'm sure it can be arranged. But why would it mean anything at all to you? Other people's children are less than endearing.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Mother's Day. Father's Day, Grandparent's Day the list goes on and the retailers and card makers rejoice. I am a child free person who doesn't need a special day for recognition of my choices in life. If others want to have that fine. I just think it's a bit silly to celebrate any of these things. I really don't care that other people have kids, why should they care that I don't?
The point of those days is that parenting is a thankless task. You invest in your kids and they in turn do the same for theirs, and so on. It's not possible or healthy for an adult or older child to have the same investment in their parent as the parent has for them (eeew, imagine a fifteen year old as obsessed with their mother as a one year old is!! Bates motel!). Mothers and fathers days are a heads up reminder to the kids that the parent needs thanks every so often.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:19 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

What it sounds like is bitterness - you didn't want to be a mother or a father, but at the same time you want recognition for NOT being a mother or a father
Yeah I agree. So far the reasoning behind this seems very much "screw society" and not about anything positive. Like people who do have kids are the enemy who oppressed the childless, or they get more attention for being parents and there is a resentment about it. The not contributing to overpopulation thing seems to be an afterthought.

I mean you can have any holiday you want and there is certainly nothing wrong with choosing not to have kids, but why so hostile towards parents and kids and why separate days for males and females?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums;

Note in the media how "mother" or "father" is always used as a qualifier if someone is killed. As if it's a worse crime or more tragic that someone is dead merely because they were a parent. (It is of course sad for the child left behind, but that's not the point.
Well actually that is the point. They mention it because a child is left without a parent so the tragedy is compounded. They also mention if the person was in a highly impactful job like a doctor or something because that also compounds the loss to society. It's not about you. This argument just seems petty.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Another reason why I prefer "Childfree Pride Day" over "Appreciation Day" is because I think it would be easier for parents to understand. Honestly, I don't expect parents to ever "appreciate" the extra taxes that i pay, the screaming on airplanes and restaurants that i endure.
You realise you're not the only one paying taxes, right? Nor the only one who has to listen to the screaming children? I pay taxes which pay for all sorts of things I'll never use, I sit on the plane and tolerate the misery just like everyone else. What does the state of my uterus have to do with any of that? Do you object to your taxes paying for rehab services? Because even though you never use them your interests are served by having fewer drug addicts around. Just like my interests are served by having people who can vote also be able to read and write and think critically. Just like a business' interests are served by having a decent pool of potential employees to choose from. Just like a city's interests are served by having a literate populace which can attract employers. Imagine the cost for a Big Mac if McDonalds had to spend a couple of years teaching each new hire to add and subtract and read.

Besides, have you not made the decision to live in a place with crappy schools and cheap housing? If you bought a house in a renowned school district and therefore are paying tens of thousands of dollars a year extra even though you don't need the schools, then sorry, but you're an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Considering what human population pressure is doing to the planet, anything you can do to encourage less people on the planet is a good thing, IMHO. If you look at charts of the population increase in the past few generations, it's a pretty scary graph. Something needs to slow down the increase in population although it might already be too late.

However, I believe the bulk of the population growth is in the not-as-developed world, not sure why. Either because they don't need as much to have children or because they don't know how not to have children or perhaps children are beneficial to them. Kids might be their elder care system in a less developed country, I've not looked. But in a developed country, kids no longer are expected to take care of aged parents, nor to work and bring in income for the family, so overall they aren't as beneficial to the family unit as they were several generations ago.
Money and medical care. When women have access to birth control they use it. They used to think that drop in birth rate followed from economic development, but it has now been shown that all you need to do is give them the choice. Women know that fewer, more spaced children is better, but they don't have a choice not to have sex. Give them the means to prevent babies and they seize it with both hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Back to the topic, I am childfree and don't feel the need for a special holiday. Earth Day is the one holiday I think might be appropriate for childfree people to celebrate since we have done our bit to curb overpopulation.
And people who decided to have children and be good parents are doing their part to make humanity better rather than washing their hands of the whole thing.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:28 AM

125 posts, read 128,045 times
Quote:
Um, World Rat Day is April 4th. Just so you know.
I'm so happy to know!!! LOL I'm just sorry I missed it this year!!

Old 05-16-2015, 08:36 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,557 times
As some part of work places, media and society treats child free people like disease, this could be good idea. Child free people parades too.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:37 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
This is as weird as the atheist meeting I ran into in a restaurant one time. I can understand getting together to discuss similar interests or celebration of similar beliefs. But I just don't understand the idea of celebrating or getting together to discuss the lack of belief or a lack of interest.

Just for the record, I am not part of a religion, but I still don't understand getting together to discuss what you don't believe.

Having a day for people without children makes about as much sense as a group of people getting together to talk about why they don't like to bicycle.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:41 AM

125 posts, read 128,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What do you mean, "if not, why not"? You need to explain why we should bother to establish a day and celebrate it, first. Who cares? This reminds me of when kids ask their parents, "If there's a Mother's Day and a Father's Day, why isn't there a Kids' Day?" And parents always say, "Every day is kids' day". Why would child-free people need a special day?
Anyone who feels the need to have anyone celebrate being child-free obviously needs some attention drawn to them because they feel like not having accomplished something is a special status worthy of honoring. For most women and I believe most would feel that this is very unnatural and quite contrary to normal human behavior. Wanting and having children is part of human genetics its an instinctive part of human nature survival of the fittest keeping the human race alive. So in my humble opinion the OP is contrary to human nature and therefore not anything I'd celebrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates