Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 12:33 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times

Advertisements

Worst. Idea. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 01:34 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Worst. Idea. Ever.
Not necessarily...........it just doesn't work for the United States.

It worked pretty well, though, for Castro when he cleaned out his jails and asylums during the boat lift during the Carter Administration.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:21 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood12 View Post
I was thinking, serial killers are horrible people that are locked away for life and have no redeeming qualities, other than their ability to kill and not think twice about it. Otherwise they just waste money and air that should be left for decent folk.

So anyway, what if we could put them to good use? Make them parachute behind enemy lines where they can do all the killing they want only this time it's bad guys. It's really a win-win. There's a good chance the serial killer would go on to serial kill our enemies and even if they do manage to stop him he's either their problem to feed/clothe or they kill him in which case no loss.

Why not put these serial killers abilities to good use?
And what if they convert to Islam and are sent back to the USA?

Old 05-17-2015, 04:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Serial killers, at least the notorious ones, are usually abnormally brilliant. I bet we could find a use for them outside of military action.

And also, have you actually thought the logistics of that through? One, serial killers are not trained killers. Killing someone unarmed who doesn't already have the idea of killing you would be quite a bit easier than killing someone armed and hostile. Two, so, we would have to train them to get them to a point of being capable of fighting, not just killing. This opens up the frightening possibility that they turn on the people training them and escape from prison and become even harder to catch because now they're a trained killers. But assuming everything goes as planned up until this point, what's to keep them from going AWOL and just fleeing to the nearest Iraqi town (or which ever country we send them to) and killing the civilians or joining whatever militant group they're fighting. ISIS could use murderous sociopaths.

Nah, leave them in jail. Even if they don't serve a purpose due to their skills, we should leave people like that alive to study them and figure out how they work. Understanding what leads to this kind of psychopath can lead us to preventing them from existing in the first place, which is far more constructive than having them fight some bureaucrat's war or executing them.
This idea of using sworn killers to have at it in some other population reminds me of a Star trek tng episode. Picard is conducting negotiations with this planet when attacked by militarized terrorists. Turns out they were 'altered' to be perfect killing machines, and had been promised they'd be 'fixed'. But then the now safe but peaceful residents below figure out they can't untrain them. So they imprison them, except now they have a commando unit with a mission and they are the target. Picard tries, but they don't want any help but how to wipe them out. He leaves the problem for them to figure out, however it ends.

Serial killers have often prospered during wartime because with all the 'legal' killing they aren't so noticed. But they aren't going to kill off soldiers, but the easy prey they usually do. Consider if one side drops the born killers into the others population, why not recropricate? These are people who feed on the fears and emotions of others, and not the industrial maul of a war. And what do you do with them afterwards when they've 'gone dark'?

A true psychpath is rewarded by not just killing, but the pain and grief and excitement of the kill. You aren't ever going to make them into soldiers who will kill as soldiers do in a war, since that comes later.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:48 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Serial Killers are cowards that have psychological problems. They prey on people perceived as weaker than them.
In a war zone when the bullets started flying they would be running.

I say once they are found guilty of their crimes then lay them out in a hospital OR, harvest their organs then up the IV so they never wake up. Done and good people who need a second chance get the organs.
^I vote for this one although I am not sure if I would anything from such an evil being.

Serial killers are very complicated. Not just people that want to kill and they aren't all the same: Serial Killer Behavior - HowStuffWorks I read some parts and decided since it almost bed time to just leave the rest alone. "Of the Devil"!

Old 05-17-2015, 06:18 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I wouldn't want to serve next to them!

Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood12 View Post
I was thinking, serial killers are horrible people that are locked away for life and have no redeeming qualities, other than their ability to kill and not think twice about it. Otherwise they just waste money and air that should be left for decent folk.

So anyway, what if we could put them to good use? Make them parachute behind enemy lines where they can do all the killing they want only this time it's bad guys. It's really a win-win. There's a good chance the serial killer would go on to serial kill our enemies and even if they do manage to stop him he's either their problem to feed/clothe or they kill him in which case no loss.

Why not put these serial killers abilities to good use?
I'm not convinced that they would make the best soldiers, and also, I'm not a retributivist in general. The goal should be to protect society and to discourage others from committing evil acts.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:15 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
I don't like you.
I guess that you don't like me either. What natural rights do animals possess? A right is only a right if it can be claimed by the individual possessing the right. Who claims "rights" for animals. That's right, human beings.

Last edited by O.C. Ogilvy; 05-17-2015 at 09:35 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 10:02 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Well, if you put cereal killers in the military the first person to die may be "Cap'n Crunch".

If you use The Dirty Dozen as your inspiration, remember the 'serial killer' Telly Savalas is the one who botches the mission early due to psychopathic blood lust.

Others have mentioned most every reason not to:
1) Non controllable (most tend to be loners and will not follow group directives/goals)
2) Lack of discernment/judgment of friend vs. foe in a war zone
3) Lack of Self control i.e. when to stop
4) Lack of group cooperation / trust essential amongst fighting troops (they won't have your back)
5) Most are cowards not open to fighting on even 'terms' - they generally exploit easy targets, not expecting nor prepared for them

I wholeheartedly agree on sending politicians, bankers (and any who profit from instigating and promoting wars) and their children to front lines to be first to be shot at and targeted by enemies they most often create.

Let's 'donate' the most heinous serial killers to medical research lab work or possibly realize George Carlin's vision for Reality TV with the four groups that got to go.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:21 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
I'll bet those 'bad guy' women and children behind enemy lines in Syria or Afghanistan really deserve that.

In any case, they already do this, which is how you get atrocities like Abu Girab and My Lai and Srebrenica.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates