Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 02:27 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
As an American Do you think its important to vote??
I've voted since 1968 and yes I think it is very important to me. As to whether or not it is important to you, I have no clue. That's the great thing about voting in a free democracy where we have no laws requiring us to participate in the democratic process. Not yet at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 02:45 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
I vote, but unless you live in a swing state, your individual vote doesn't REALLY accomplish anything. I'm a republican but when I'm voting in California I know I'm not going to influence the result.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:45 PM

187 posts, read 270,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
All of these viewpoints have a lot of merit. This leads to frustration on the part of the voter, and then everyone wonders why we have such low voter turnout!

The most sensible thing I've seen proposed in recent years is the idea that to make any progress, we simply have to kick out all incumbents. Doesn't matter what their party or their platform is, "boot 'em out" after one term. Career politicians are among the worst enemies of the American people. By sanctioning politics as a "career" (as opposed to civil service to one's countrymen), the voters contribute to crony capitalism, big government, fraud, and policies that are elitist and not-for-use-by-politicians (do any Obamacare supporters think that Obama - or any politician - will ever use that themselves?).

If we could all get the politicians to understand that we'll "boot 'em out" of office after one term and that the days of lucrative career-politicking are over, we might begin to get some civic-minded people to run for office. Oh - and WHY don't the people insist that every bill that passes, apply equally to the politicians, as well as the people? Wouldn't you just love to see all the pols struggling with the ACA exchange website? It's this kind of elitist mentality that drives me crazy. WHY isn't Obamacare good enough for Obama???
That is exactly what brings me to the polls, getting the incumbents out. Some of these sleazeballs have been in office for entirely too long. Career politician describes exactly what is wrong with our government. It used to be that serving in public office was just that: serving. It was a public duty, you left your farm or business and went to represent your fellow Americans as a politician. When you were done, you went back to whatever it was you were doing beforehand. Now it doesn't matter what "party" the person belongs to, every politician is just another crooked slimeball who is out to line their own pocket.

I have zero problem whatsoever with our low voter turnout, being that the average American knows more about the Kardashians or the NFL than they do our government. I'd rather they not vote at all than come in completely uninformed and vote based on party line or a single irrelevant issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
I used to not vote just because I hate being american and want nothing to do with this country.
Why would you stay somewhere you hate? There are PLENTY of other places to live.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:16 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
I used to not vote just because I hate being american and want nothing to do with this country.
Maybe you could sneak into Mexico or Canada, stay there forever NEVER coming back, and find utopia. Sounds like a good option for us, I mean you.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:53 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
“Let me issue and control a nation’s money and I care not who writes the laws.” Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1744-1812), founder of the House of Rothschild.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:01 PM

450 posts, read 597,559 times
I've always believed that voting is not only a right but a responsiblity as well. You really can't complain about the government if you didn't cast your vote. Some folks don't vote because they think they'll get picked for jury duty. Wrong! They use many lists such as drivers license and credit reports to get jury duty rosters. What's wrong with serving on a jury?
IMHO one of the few excuses for not voting is when not voting is a statement. When no candidate is satisfactory or issues are pressed that are unacceptable, not voting may help get the message across. Otherwise please do what's right and cast your vote. You probably would scream not fair if they said you couldn't vote.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:21 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
The question only has meaning in the democratic form of government.

● I prefer the republican form of government, where the people are sovereigns, and the government is their servant. I like it when government secures rights, but only governs those who consent.
● But if folks want the democratic form of government, where the people are subjects and the government rules them, who am I to say they can't.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:35 PM

509 posts, read 554,773 times
No, I don't think everyone should vote.
Why? Because some people stink at it. And I don't mean that they don't vote for who I want, but many people will vote for someone based on their clothes, family, 1 thing they said 1 time... There are too many voters that don't bother to research the facts, they should not vote.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:48 PM

905 posts, read 791,109 times
I used to think voting was important and voted in every halfway major election for over 25 years, but in two of the most recent elections I voted in, the candidates I voted for won and they proved to be reprehensible people. So I skipped the most recent election and will not be voting again until someone comes along I can believe in, no longer will I waste my time voting for the lesser of two evils. You can complain even less if you put the POS in office than if you voted, I learned that first hand.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:12 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Too many politicians have issues with sexual immorality. Many lie, cheat, and steal from us.

I do not approve of these types of behaviors; therefore, I do not vote for anyone.

ETA: The majority of people in this country aren't that smart anyways, so maybe it's best that they don't vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates