Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times

Advertisements

I never pay attention to polls really. Its more about if their is a candidate I like his platform. If two and I do not like either then I do not vote as a type of protest against their standing on issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 10:23 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times
While I don't discourage others from voting, I don't vote much and when I do vote it's mostly for local and state initiatives or referendums which I can have a direct say and even then I know my vote isn't making a difference.
The fact is statistically, it doesn't matter whether you vote or not. Not one politician has ever been elected or defeated because I didn't vote. Out of 140 million people who vote in a presidential election your one vote doesn't change anything and since most people live in states where the electoral votes are already pretty much determined by the political makeup of your state, it really is a waste of time to vote.
Besides, you are basically choosing between two corrupt political parties anyway.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:41 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,036 times
If you don't like the Democrats or Republicans, then vote 3rd party. If you vote your conscious you are not throwing your vote away, a vote counts no matter who you vote for. I agree, local elections are far more important to dad-to-day issues that effect everyone.
I live in Oregon, voting here is done by mail, so in my opinion, there is no excuse for not voting in Oregon.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:00 PM

391 posts, read 285,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blackgt View Post
This will not be popular opinion but honestly i don't vote most the time because i think they are all idiots. I can elect a retarded democrat or a retarded republican, either way nothing of value or benefit will be done in office. I could care less what your political affiliation is, all i care about is what is best for the general public. Too much of politics are based on what is best for the group that can pay the most. Our whole system is largely a joke and only a minuscule representation of what our founders wanted. (I am referencing federal and state level voting in my rant, at the local level at least some change occurs)
Maybe you people should vote for people who aren't idiots, instead of just complaining and whining. If there is something that you the people cannot change, then I will sympathize. Seriously, people keep complaining that there aren't good candidates or that their group isn't well represented. If you people want change, you need to get involved and vote. Or do even more. Maybe donate to candidates that you support or get involved in community organizing.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:27 PM

35,079 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
A lot of people think the polls are rigged and our vote doesn't matter and others think that we make a difference voting. I don't vote not because I don't think Ill make a difference but because im just flat out lazy.
I am Jewish. People complain about Jews' undo influence. Our suffrage rates are about 90%. So if you don't vote don't complain about Jews' political power.

And if you don't vote, don't wine about the government either. Your absence is noted.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:51 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,757,525 times
The last time I voted was last November for my state's gubernatorial election. But...I don't think I will ever vote again. I don't think it's worth it, especially for a presidential election. Many (or most?) people vote for the most ridiculous of reasons.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
If I did not vote I would have no right to complain.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:00 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
I always vote. It's very important. My vote is a drop inside another drop in a bucket. However, all those drops add up.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:08 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,677,099 times
I do believe it's important to vote. It's a privilege many don't enjoy and a civic responsibility I take seriously. Voting gives me the right to complain and the opportunity to make things better.

"The cornerstone of democracy rests on the foundation of an educated electorate." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-15-2015, 10:36 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,003,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I do believe it's important to vote. It's a privilege many don't enjoy and a civic responsibility I take seriously. Voting gives me the right to complain and the opportunity to make things better.

"The cornerstone of democracy rests on the foundation of an educated electorate." - Thomas Jefferson

That has almost become an oxymoron these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates