Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 06:03 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times

Advertisements

There is a news thread about a fake $20 bill a waiter was left that was actually a Tract used to spread the message of Christ and hopefully convert the person.

What is the point of this? Does it actually work? Do Christians realize how obnoxious it is to try and convert strangers?

Old 01-20-2016, 06:59 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
[snip] Do Christians realize how obnoxious it is to try and convert strangers?
I'll take a Christian attempting to convert me over the government fairy tale and force used against me by law to worship at the alter of their religion of Global Warming.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:06 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Christians are under the mistaken guise that we agnostics/atheists have never heard THEIR attempt at explaining "the good news" and that they should give it a shot because hey, theyre better at explaining it than every other damn person who thinks I need to obey the same rules they do.

"Have you heard the message of Christ?"

"Yes"

"Yes but have you heard MY attempt at it?"

Old 01-20-2016, 08:27 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
There is a news thread about a fake $20 bill a waiter was left that was actually a Tract used to spread the message of Christ and hopefully convert the person.

What is the point of this? Does it actually work? Do Christians realize how obnoxious it is to try and convert strangers?
So, where is the news thread?

I view it no differently if it's Mormons coming by my house or some guy trying to sell me Dish network or aluminum siding.

The whole "fake 20" thing just sounds weird as it suggests they stiffed the guy on the bill or the tip.

Obnoxious? That depends on how it's done IMO.

Bible in a hotel room? Bill board or TV ad? Pamphlet left at table for the waiter?
Those IMO aren't obnoxious.

Going door to door to me is obnoxious.

The only thing I really hate is if someone is pushy or if they are running one of those "candy bar scams" for disadvantaged youth which are common in my area.

<shrug>

Old 01-20-2016, 10:00 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, where is the news thread?

I view it no differently if it's Mormons coming by my house or some guy trying to sell me Dish network or aluminum siding.

The whole "fake 20" thing just sounds weird as it suggests they stiffed the guy on the bill or the tip.

Obnoxious? That depends on how it's done IMO.

Bible in a hotel room? Bill board or TV ad? Pamphlet left at table for the waiter?
Those IMO aren't obnoxious.

Going door to door to me is obnoxious.

The only thing I really hate is if someone is pushy or if they are running one of those "candy bar scams" for disadvantaged youth which are common in my area.

<shrug>
They did, there's a thread about it on Current Events. Left fake $20 with bible verse as the tip. I don't think that counts as a serious attempt at conversion, but more a way to get out of the tip and not feel bad about it because in his mind he DID leave her something valuable.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:44 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Not a Debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.