Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:59 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,450 times

Advertisements

Is creating a new nation for the world's refugees a good idea? | Global Development Professionals Network | The Guardian

I was discussing this idea with a gentleman a few months back and he thought it was a bad idea. I, on the other hand, was open to the idea of taking unused land and helping refugees to create a nation of their own. Obviously there would be a lot of problems, but what other alternatives do we have? If the new nation can be administered for a period time, it might be better than keeping them in camps in countries that don't want them.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 08:38 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Refugees come in 57 varieties. It is extremely unlikely that they will play nice together.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:35 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Refugees come in 57 varieties. It is extremely unlikely that they will play nice together.

So True but in the case of Mexico I think it would work.

In a comment I made in a Donald Trump thread I thought the wall he wants to build at the border was a good idea. If people still came to the wall and couldn't get past they would start a camp which would eventually turn in to a town and President Trump could sell them the supplies they needed and Mexico could pay for them.

When you think about the American West back in the late 1800's many towns sprung from nothing due to the RR coming through the area. The RR in this case would be the never ending flow of potential immigrants.

We could have towns and cities right at the border fence and it would be a good place for refugees.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:38 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
How would this even work? Who runs this country? Anyone? What's stopping another country from just exploiting it? And where would it go? There isn't much free space available.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:38 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
I think it's a good idea. But there would have to be two or three or even four of them: one each in North Africa, sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and Far East. Except for the Far East most countries in these regions are Western creations with little or no other rational for existence. Syria, Iraq, Libya, all are polyglot countries with no single culture. Same for most of sub-Saharan Africa.

It's the only way to protect people in these regions from ISIS, bokoharam, Somali warlords, etc. These are little more than well financed criminal gangs like the Bloods and Cripts. Refugees could be disarmed, put into them and taken care of. It would be better for them and for everyone else except their would-be tormentors.

The East India Company did something like this when it annexed Oudh. It replaced it's tyrannical ruler with a benign administration that protected people from legalized criminality.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:55 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Great idea,
through a bunch of people in a place without anything .... I'm sure that's gonna work out great

Old 08-12-2015, 01:20 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Where would this "Refugee Nation" be? I cannot see any country giving up territory to create such a nation.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:02 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Where would this "Refugee Nation" be? I cannot see any country giving up territory to create such a nation.
There's plenty of desert land we can give them to start their prosperous nation

Old 08-12-2015, 05:37 PM

47 posts, read 50,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
There's plenty of desert land we can give them to start their prosperous nation
Desert land... Lol, so much for agriculture or manufacturing.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:58 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,707,707 times
How would this discourage refugees? Seems like it would encourage it: "Leave your country and we will give you some free land." Where do I sign up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates