Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 05:14 PM

85 posts, read 84,592 times

Advertisements

How much influence do these companies have in changing attitudes or views on controversial issues. Do you remember the cheerios commercial of a black mixed girl with her interracial parents and how it created backlash. It seems advertising companies did not back down and they are pushing the black man white woman relationship in so many ads nowadays. How influential are these companies in changing attitudes about what some people consider controversial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 12:00 PM

24,746 posts, read 17,485,701 times
I think Ads, TV and Movies have been trying to please everyone for years as they should because everyone is a potential customer/ viewer so why upset anyone.

It is funny to see ads where they have a rainbow of people in it and sometimes a handicap person thrown in as well.
Many ads for items need to appeal to everyone so why not have a plethora of people pictured enjoying said product.

Some ads are better than others and they can change peoples thinking on controversial topics but I think TV is a better medium for change than ads.

A good TV show with lots of viewers can change the status quo. Back in the day "I Love Lucy" had Lucy married to a Cuban guy and they were often Shockingly shown in bed together. "Star Trek" gave us the first inter racial Kiss. Comedy and Sci Fi have always been able to push the boundaries. How about the more recent "Wil and Grace" that featured very gay characters.
There has been so many shows over the years that served to open doors in society and give stubborn people pause to consider someone that is different.

Ads and TV can create controversy but that is sometimes good to get people talking.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:00 PM

15,671 posts, read 15,817,928 times
Is there any question about it? Of course they're hugely influential.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:13 PM

19,204 posts, read 27,838,738 times
What Cida said. Another brainwashing medium.
Why blacks and whites promoted? Because it is an aspect of globalization. General trend is to dissolve countries and blend races into single one. Same goes for religions. One unified religion. One race. One billion. 250 enclaves where The Masters will reside and the rest of what's left can go f itself as much as it wants to, They won't care.
Look globally, always look globally.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:41 AM

381 posts, read 279,363 times
Spot on.My wife and i play a game here in britain trying to spot an tv show/advert where there are not mixed race/gay/disabled characters.Brainwashing at it's finest.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:37 AM

21,313 posts, read 19,943,262 times
I live in an area with a lot of mixed race couples, so for me television advertisements are a bit behind the times.

Of course, I watch very little television and usually click off the commercials.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:44 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,029,476 times
" How influential are these companies in changing attitudes about what some people consider controversial?"

Very influential for some people, not so much for others, not at all for some.
"Truth in advertising" is like expecting truth from a politician or a used car salesman.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,643,733 times
Lightbulb Do you believe advertising and marketing companies are influential?

No, I don't believe it.

The huge and profitable advertising industry generates billions upon billions of dollars of sales annually. So its influence is a fact, not an article of faith.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:48 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,241,749 times
Too much so!!!!!, I don't concern myself with overly advertised products.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:56 PM

12,474 posts, read 8,263,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
A good TV show with lots of viewers can change the status quo. Back in the day "I Love Lucy" had Lucy married to a Cuban guy and they were often Shockingly shown in bed together. "Star Trek" gave us the first inter racial kiss
No , Lucy and Ricky despite being a real lifestyle married couple were never in bed together due to the sexual standards , not the ethnic standards of the day.There was even a nightstand between their individual single beds. As for Star Trek while a real life Black person's lips touched a White. Asian women had done it before. In the story Captain Kirk was fighting an alien mind rape. So while Shatner touched a Black woman Nichelle Nichols we were watching Kirk not being able to resist the beginnings of a rape of Uhura.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates