Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 10:22 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,739,779 times

Advertisements

When I use the term succeeded I am referring to incomes, educational attainment and accumulated wealth. These are very objective measures that correlate to one another and have good data to back them up. For the first two Asians are already ahead of whites, Hispanics, and blacks, but as the story points out they are predicted to eventually be number one in wealth. This should come as no surprise as decades of higher incomes should produce this result (assuming good financial management). So I have to ask why have Asians done so much better than Blacks and Hispanics in the U.S. despite having the same disadvantage of not being white? What lessons could other groups take from the Asian example?

Asian Americans Set to Surpass Whites in Median Family Wealth - NBC News

Old 08-31-2015, 10:26 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,620,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
When I use the term succeeded I am referring to incomes, educational attainment and accumulated wealth. These are very objective measures that correlate to one another and have good data to back them up. For the first two Asians are already ahead of whites, Hispanics, and blacks, but as the story points out they are predicted to eventually be number one in wealth. This should come as no surprise as decades of higher incomes should produce this result (assuming good financial management). So I have to ask why have Asians done so much better than Blacks and Hispanics in the U.S. despite having the same disadvantage of not being white? What lessons could other groups take from the Asian example?

Asian Americans Set to Surpass Whites in Median Family Wealth - NBC News
Culturally-ingrained strong discipline and high expectations set from a usually complete family unit.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:46 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,997 times
Due to the increase in "This race vs That race" threads that lately that have quickly devolved into opinions based on stereotypes, be aware that further posts here will need some source/statistic for their stance to keep in line with the OP's mention of "objective measures."

Posts based solely on stereotypes will not be permitted as they quickly degrade to arguing bordering on racism.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:51 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Who are "blacks?"

Plenty Africans are doing as well or better than Asians. How is it that so mny of you have such difficulty freeing yourselves of color labels when it comes to certain peoples? Are you really that desperate not to acknowledge accomplishments?

Anyway, for people of African origin, cultural retention is key. In a nation that was pitted against the African and such cultures from its inception, those here the longest who lost the most connection to cultural origins often have the toughest time. This did not happen to Asians as the vast majority are more recent and have been able to retain their cultural values. The same goes for recent Africans.

AAs came from over 40 ethnicities and unlike the Asians, almost all cultural knowledge and values were beaten out of their peoples...and they were labeled blacks only. Recent Africans have retention and this cultures is unable to redefine the so quickly. So they succeed, many more so that plenty Asians.

The disadvantage is not and never will be the same. But some are willfully ignorant of that fact.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:29 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,549,801 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned: Quoted post has been deleted.

The fact remains that certain cultures strive to achieve while others do not. And seeking opinions as to why that is seems like a fair debate to me. This article shows that while Asians achieve substantially more in schools and income, it is not via genetics but rather sound parenting: How Do Asian Students Get to the Top of the Class? | GreatKids

Some believe that the abundance of government aid to blacks has fostered a culture of non achievement: What Does Black Failure Tell Us About Blacks? | AMBROSE KANE

I mean, if it can be concluded that blacks, Hispanics, whites and Asians are no smarter than that one another it makes an interesting study as to how and why some cultures achieve and others fail to do so.

Last edited by Jeo123; 09-01-2015 at 08:32 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 07:52 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,574 times
Another element is that you will typically see Africans who have come here do quite well.

IMO, it isn't race or anything other than parenting and mindset really.

Interestingly, at least to me, is the fact that many times 1st generation African Immigrants are treated as bad if not worse by the blacks who have been here for 100 years or more, than by the whites.

Here are a couple of interesting articles:
The first is written by a first generation African and discussing the struggles of being African, black, and American:

African in America*|*Ola Ojewumi

Quoted from the above article:
Quote:
As a child, peers who shared my same skin color criticized my dark skin and heritage. These insults ranged from, "You, Africans look like a baboons, you're as dark as charcoal"
I will never forget watching Predator and a scene with Bill Duke dry shaving. When the scene initially started, his very dark complexion was ridiculed loudly throughout the theater by many of the blacks there watching. Echoing the same type of mid set Ola references. I remember thinking "how strange, that blacks are ridiculing someone for being darker than them?" I still don't really get that.

The second is more about the differences between Africans and blacks.

How African-Americans and African Immigrants Differ - The Globalist

I think both offer a bit of insight to the question posed.

Last edited by chadgates; 09-01-2015 at 08:01 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 08:37 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Oh good grief, not THIS topic again. Every. Single. Forum. Devolves. Into this racial BS. Is that the only topic that people can debate?

I honestly don't care/give any...why X group has higher incomes. Our income is great and at the end of the day that's all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates