Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 08:48 PM

1,433 posts, read 665,723 times

Advertisements

No. I do not need to pay for somethong else I don't need in my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 01:27 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
No. Restaurants derive a huge amount of their profits from alcohol. Think about it. Go to a nice Italian restaurant and 2/3 of the tables have a nice bottle of wine with food.

If you take that this profit center away from restaurants, they'd be hurting more than they already are with Covid.

I understand why folks like this idea, but I'm feisty today and wanted to play devils advocate

Old 05-18-2021, 08:04 AM

7,915 posts, read 3,458,721 times
I typically don't like technological devices that prevent people from circumventing laws once they become unreasonable because it encourages the passing of unreasonable laws.

Old 05-18-2021, 08:39 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I typically don't like technological devices that prevent people from circumventing laws once they become unreasonable because it encourages the passing of unreasonable laws.
What "unreasonable law" (in your estimation) are you planning to circumvent? Please expand on you comment. Thank you.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:18 AM

7,915 posts, read 3,458,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
What "unreasonable law" (in your estimation) are you planning to circumvent? Please expand on you comment. Thank you.
You're very welcome. In this case it would be an extremely low BAC level, say under .05 or so, or even a zero tolerance level like .00 or .01. That would be an unreasonable law that would largely be unenforceable without a technological device. Such a low level would be more tempting for a teetotaler in the government to try to pass if they were able to control it through technology.

There is a sort of authoritarianism that only really becomes possible as our technology becomes more advanced. Crazy laws that nobody would normally follow suddenly can become strictly enforced, making the passing of such laws more likely. I don't typically support our government mandating the use of any of the technologies that make that sort of authoritarianism more likely.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:29 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Just a question...

Has anyone already mentioned that some years ago a guy with multiple DUI's was forced by the court to get a breathalyzer installed in his car; the guy had to blow into the thing to start his car.

Cops later found him driving drunk in that car - the man took his 10 year old daughter with him whenever he drove to the bar, and when it was time to drive home after dear old Dad was finished getting his drunk on, his daughter would blow into the breathalyzer for him so that he could drive the two of them home.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:56 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Just a question...

Has anyone already mentioned that some years ago a guy with multiple DUI's was forced by the court to get a breathalyzer installed in his car; the guy had to blow into the thing to start his car.

Cops later found him driving drunk in that car - the man took his 10 year old daughter with him whenever he drove to the bar, and when it was time to drive home after dear old Dad was finished getting his drunk on, his daughter would blow into the breathalyzer for him so that he could drive the two of them home.
There are video-equipped breathalyzer devices that are able to ensure that the person in the photo is the person blowing into the device and also the person driving the vehicle.

Anyone who has been arrested for drunk driving and failed a police-given test that indicates an excessive amount of alcohol in his blood, ought to have one of these ignition lock breathalyzers installed in his vehicle. It's already the law for convicted DUI/DWI offenders in the state where I live.

Additionally, anyone who would try to get around this by having his child (!) breathe into the device for him so that he can drive them both home drunk obviously has very little concern for his child's safety (or anyone else's safety). Where is the child's mother in such a situation? The child should be removed from the home of both of these lousy parents.

It's too bad for the rest of us that there are so many stupid people who continually make it necessary to have laws such as these.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 05-18-2021 at 01:05 PM..

Old 05-18-2021, 01:12 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
I am very, very, anti-drunk Driving, let me first make no bones about this.

My wife was killed by one three years ago. She was only 34.

But I could not vote for all vehicles to be equipped with a Breathalyzer.

Why?

Could be a safety hazard. I realize this sounds like a paradox.

But what if for some reason you had a drink or two and then was immersed in a matter of life and death? Like your pregnant wife was hemorrhaging? Or a friend or family member deathly ill or injured and you had to drive them to the hospital? Or even if you yourself needed to go?

I AM in full favor of Drunk Drivers being slapped with the harshest penalties possible, however.
So you send the guy to jail and his pregnant was still hemorrhaging without him there? Plus is kicked out of their house cause they no longer have his income? Or a friend or family member deathly ill or injured and he is in prison so CANT drive them to the hospital....

See its not so easy a problem as you think. Unless the guy is a wealthy hermit, whatever you do will affect others.

Probably better for society that he have to blow into a tube. If you own a newer car you already pay for so much unnecessary garbage, guessing this would be a infinitesimally small part of purchase price. And look we all are going to be taxed to keep him locked up and to support his wife and kids. And thats going to cost whole lot more. Plus with a prison record he will have minimal earning potential when out of prison.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:33 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
That just might be one of the saddest things I have ever read.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:13 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
It would be much more effective if they just restricted access to alcohol, and made it a whole lot tougher to obtain the stuff the begin with!

They could have it set up like prescription drugs, My state keeps a database of all prescriptions someone fills, if the person tries to fill another one too early, or from a different doctor, this puts up a red flag and they dont give out the meds....the same thing could be done with alcohol with a bit of tweaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates