Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:22 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,557,963 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone really cares much, but I travel to Hawaii every 2 or 3 years and take time to talk with native (relative term, I know) Hawaiians about the controversy as to whether or not they can (or should) secede from the United States.

My thinking is that they should not be allowed to form a new nation and secede. Then again, I think they deserve some special considerations.

I'd like to see them granted tribal status like Indians in the lower 48 have. They can be given tribal lands and depending on how they wish to live can determine what amount of authority they will exercise over the reservations.

Does anyone have an interest in this topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 12:48 PM

233 posts, read 251,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I don't know if anyone really cares much, but I travel to Hawaii every 2 or 3 years and take time to talk with native (relative term, I know) Hawaiians about the controversy as to whether or not they can (or should) secede from the United States.

My thinking is that they should not be allowed to form a new nation and secede. Then again, I think they deserve some special considerations.

I'd like to see them granted tribal status like Indians in the lower 48 have. They can be given tribal lands and depending on how they wish to live can determine what amount of authority they will exercise over the reservations.

All native peoples (relative term...since humans are only "native" to Africa) eventually must assimilate into the more dominant culture and learn to prosper while still maintaining the heritage they embrace.....or allow themselves to be subjugated and dependent upon that culture. For good or bad...that is reality.

Very, VERY, few real native Hawaiians exist anymore. And many of them live on specific islands or areas of those islands where they are pretty much left alone to function as they see fit. very much like tribal lands on the mainland. However....even those Hawaiians are highly dependent upon government and U.S. society (like the Native Americans). They really don't want to go back to the days of Kamehameha. It always amuses me when so called natives want to have one foot in the modern day world (along with all the special considerations that world gives them)....yet play the revered ancient indigenous people, that are "one with the land".

Old 09-21-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenus View Post
All native peoples (relative term...since humans are only "native" to Africa) eventually must assimilate into the more dominant culture and learn to prosper while still maintaining the heritage they embrace.....or allow themselves to be subjugated and dependent upon that culture. For good or bad...that is reality.

Very, VERY, few real native Hawaiians exist anymore. And many of them live on specific islands or areas of those islands where they are pretty much left alone to function as they see fit. very much like tribal lands on the mainland. However....even those Hawaiians are highly dependent upon government and U.S. society (like the Native Americans). They really don't want to go back to the days of Kamehameha. It always amuses me when so called natives want to have one foot in the modern day world (along with all the special considerations that world gives them)....yet play the revered ancient indigenous people, that are "one with the land".
I have noticed that. We got "asked" to leave a 'Hawaiian' only park once. We left.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:29 AM

153 posts, read 278,758 times
So if they secede from the U.S. do will still give them government, military, taxes, and other supports? How can they even do this without the whole population of the US granting them privilege? After all it's owned by the US government.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:24 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,865,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post

I would think they would have to come up with there share of our 20 trillion dollar debt before they go anywhere.

Bill

Old 09-22-2015, 07:27 AM

21,172 posts, read 19,774,934 times
I think it has been proven that the "native" Hawaiians came from Asia. So if they really want to be reparated, why don't they go there?

I don't think it is possible for Hawaii to secede. Succession was tried elsewhere with poor results. And I think it is settled fact that Reservations are not the Utopia that some claim.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I would think they would have to come up with there share of our 20 trillion dollar debt before they go anywhere.

Bill
That's interesting.

I was able to find out that for every $1.00 in taxes people in a state pay to the feds, they get back $1.66 in social services money and other funds. So there is a cost there. Of course, much of that is off bloated over the top social programs where monies are paid out people do not deserve and other fraud, waste & abuse.

As to whether or not a state would be responsible for their "share" of the national debt is unknown (so far as I can tell). One side states the feds could make it a sort of exit tax. Similar to what California charges a business to leave the state. Others argue that since it is "federal" debt, created by the federal government and not the state itself, the feds could not impose such a debt. And if they did it would not have to be paid back.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:41 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,669,588 times
The whole idea of special set-asides for Native Hawaiians smacks of "separate but equal." It wasn't a good idea then, and it's not a good idea now. Native Hawaiians are Americans, same as anyone else, and should be treated as such.

As for statehood, when the question was put to a vote back in 1959, it passed with something like 93 percent "yes." I see no reason to change that, just because some Native activists are having second thoughts. One can argue as to whether or not a state should be allowed to withdraw from the Union, but at the very very very least, I would think that doing so would (or should) require a supermajority of the voters in that state, plus approval from the U.S. Congress. And I seriously doubt that there is a massive groundswell of support in favor of Hawaiian sovereignty, either in Hawaii itself or in the rest of the country.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The whole idea of special set-asides for Native Hawaiians smacks of "separate but equal." It wasn't a good idea then, and it's not a good idea now. Native Hawaiians are Americans, same as anyone else, and should be treated as such.

As for statehood, when the question was put to a vote back in 1959, it passed with something like 93 percent "yes." I see no reason to change that, just because some Native activists are having second thoughts. One can argue as to whether or not a state should be allowed to withdraw from the Union, but at the very very very least, I would think that doing so would (or should) require a supermajority of the voters in that state, plus approval from the U.S. Congress. And I seriously doubt that there is a massive groundswell of support in favor of Hawaiian sovereignty, either in Hawaii itself or in the rest of the country.
Curious, what do you think of the idea of tribal status, similar to various N. American Indian tribes?

Old 09-22-2015, 01:08 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,007,387 times
What the United States did to the Kingdom of Hawaii in 1893 was a criminal act and in todays world it wouldn't fly under international law.
I do feel that the Native Hawaiian peoples should be granted the same sovereignty that we have granted to the Native American peoples. Should they secede from the Union, that is totally up to the people of Hawaii, I doubt that it will ever happen.
The Native Hawaiian demise is no different than that of the Native American peoples, the U.S entered into treaties with the Kingdom of Hawaii and the violated the treaties, the U.S set aside lands in Hawaii for the Native Hawaiians then took it away from them, the list of dishonesty goes on and on. This movement of the Hawaiians to reclaim what is rightfully theirs isn't anything new, it's been going on for a hundred years. Just because Hawaii is a State doesn't mean that it can not set aside sovereign lands for it's indigenous peoples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates