Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 04:12 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times

Advertisements

Why do we still use the term "white trash" to describe a poor white person? Why should we call someone "trash" just because they are poor? Why aren't middle class and upper class whites who have unfavorable personality traits considered "white trash" as well? I feel this is not fair as a poor white person can be a person with good morals and decency and still be labeled "white trash" meanwhile an upper class white person who is backstabbing, promiscuous, rude, and just shows no class might not be considered "white trash" or if anything people might say they act like "white trash" but since they aren't poor they are still not considered "white trash" at least by some. In an age of growing tolerance I still don't see why poor whites are considered "trash." It might even be racist since there is no widespread usage of the terms "Hispanic trash" or "black trash", it almost seems like Hispanics and blacks are expected to already be trash. Any thoughts or opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 06:16 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
When I first heard the term, decades ago, it referred to (white) people who behaved badly, with no thought for their actions on other people or the environment. It did not originally refer to people with low income or resources. Today, I guess it just means whatever whoever is saying it wants it to mean. As a result, it is meaningless! So either ignore the speaker or ask them "what exactly do you mean by that".

Old 11-03-2015, 06:41 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
When I first heard the term, decades ago, it referred to (white) people who behaved badly, with no thought for their actions on other people or the environment. It did not originally refer to people with low income or resources. Today, I guess it just means whatever whoever is saying it wants it to mean. As a result, it is meaningless! So either ignore the speaker or ask them "what exactly do you mean by that".
Definitely agree. I have never heard the term used to describe anyone who was JUST poor -- and, in fact, I have heard it to describe people who were NOT poor. As the OP pointed out, there are plenty of poor people who have more morals and "class" than many others who are very wealthy. (Can we say "Kardashian"?)

I think the term is used just as a kind of verbal shorthand. If I hear someone described as white trash, then I think, "lazy, continually on welfare, vulgar, promiscuous, poorly groomed, substance addicted [whether that substance is alcohol, illegal drugs, or cigarettes] and possessing a lengthy arrest record". That is quite a mouthful!

Now, I know the above is very judgmental, and I know that not everyone who smokes (for example) is "white trash", but I think that if someone has more than half of the above listed "qualities", she or he qualifies as being white trash, politically incorrect though that may be.

Yes, I know the term "white trash" is derogatory and bad, and I personally don't use it unless I am with someone who thinks the same way I do about potential Jerry Springer guests, Hey, maybe that's an idea! How about saying "light-skinned potential Jerry Springer guest" instead of white trash?

Old 11-03-2015, 07:02 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Why do we still use the term "white trash" to describe a poor white person? Why should we call someone "trash" just because they are poor? Why aren't middle class and upper class whites who have unfavorable personality traits considered "white trash" as well? I feel this is not fair as a poor white person can be a person with good morals and decency and still be labeled "white trash" meanwhile an upper class white person who is backstabbing, promiscuous, rude, and just shows no class might not be considered "white trash" or if anything people might say they act like "white trash" but since they aren't poor they are still not considered "white trash" at least by some. In an age of growing tolerance I still don't see why poor whites are considered "trash." It might even be racist since there is no widespread usage of the terms "Hispanic trash" or "black trash", it almost seems like Hispanics and blacks are expected to already be trash. Any thoughts or opinions?
We don't call them that just because they are poor. We call well to do whites trash too from time to time. It's their lifestyle and tastes but, it usually eminates out of poverty. It's reserved for those that work the system rather than work. It transcends color.

See? Equality.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:21 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will scar us forever ?

We need something to call our own.
It also sounds different when you add Redneck to the front of it.

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 11-03-2015 at 08:07 AM..

Old 11-03-2015, 07:28 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
"White Trash" technically has nothing to do with your income. It's how you act and how well you present yourself and your property to the world. White trash homes typically have literal trash in the yard and house, possibly with old cars and car parts scattered around, and everything generally has a run-down appearance. If they have a little money they will typically also have 1-2 moderately-expensive cars with lots of overly expensive extras like high-end head units, amps, and speakers; or lifted suspensions; or extravagant paint jobs with lots of stickers. The people generally are loud, obnoxious, and don't care what you think about them. Also usually some form of substance abuse. From some form of tobacco, either cigs or snuff, to cheap alcohol, to hard stuff like meth.

It is very possible to be classy with little to no money. It is very possible to be white trash with lots of money (ref: all the "Fake Housewives" shows).

Racism is the assumption that all members of a race possess non-physiological attributes ("all blacks are lazy", or "all whites are racist" are examples of racist comments). So unless you are saying that all white people are white trash, there is nothing racist about the term.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:33 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Why aren't middle class and upper class whites who have unfavorable personality traits considered "white trash" as well?
You're referring to white trash with cash? The term white trash might occur in conjunction with poor people more often than not, but it's not a blanket term describing poor whites.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:56 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
An old saying. No different than trailer trash and someone from the "wrong" side of the tracks. Not that I agree to, or call them any of those things. They are just sayings that have been around for ages.

IMO, people are getting far too politically correct and call foul too often. They should look into the skeletons in their own closets and in their own backyards.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:04 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
Thats what white wealthy people call "new money" . It's the financial opposite of "white trash" but it's the same condescending, judgmental and negative attitude.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:31 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
If you could regulate slang, don't you think we would have gotten rid of the n-word a long time ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates