Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 12:43 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,357,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post

It's the poor that have endless kids. I'm in academia and most of my colleagues never had children and the younger ones limit it to one kid or none.
If you guys keep this up there will be no one to fill your shoes in academia when you guys retire. It is simple arithmetic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 12:45 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,647,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The main reason is economical freedom.

Is this the correct move for a healthy society?

Successful intelligent couples often decide not to procreate because there is pain in the world or because we are overcrowded. In their hearts these couples believe they are doing the right thing for humanity.
Where on earth did you find your "information" from? No one I know who is child free did so because of economic reasons! Most were never physically able to have children. The others never had any desire to have children. It had nothing to do with "economical freedom". Nothing at all to do for humanity either.

Personally, I don't like babies or small children. I don't mind them once they are old enough to make themselves a sandwich. And I can't stand children who behave like yard apes. I enjoy my quiet and my free time. Yes, there are things I've done in my life I probably wouldn't have been able to do if I had a children. Chances are also high that I would have been locked away in rubber room if I had a herd of children also.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:01 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,260,907 times
You ask if it's the "right" thing to do.

"Right" by who? Who gets to decide what is right and wrong? That's not for anyone to decide. It's all opinion. It's only the 2 people involved to decide. NOT you. And who cares? Why do you care so much. If you are so happy in your decision, then why does it matter? Live your life and stop worrying about and judging those who decide not to have kids.

My husband and I don't want them for every reason you can think of. Name it, that's a reason. The end, and I don't care if you think it's right or wrong. NOT your business buddy. Who the hell are you to question whether it's "correct for society". You don't get to decide what happens in the uteri of everyone woman in the US, so move along and find a hobby.

Quote:
If you guys keep this up there will be no one to fill your shoes in academia when you guys retire. It is simple arithmetic!

Seriously? Is this your "stern", finger-pointing "warning" to "get on that baby-making"!! Wow. I'm sure they are changing their mind and "getting right to it" right now!

Old 11-14-2015, 01:15 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,357,232 times
I think the answer to the OP's original question depends upon the individual(s).

Much of the education and "rounding out" I received in my younger days came from a comfortable bachelor uncle -- a career educator; he was gay, but not openly so, and his liaisons were limited to men of his own age and social standing.

I'm now in my sixties -- never-married, childless, and relatively secure; have never believed in the pursuit of hedonism as a goal in and of itself. And I count three couples with children (one involves "the woman that got away") as the closest friends within my circle; when I leave this earth, any possessions still in my hands will go to them. They will make much better use of it than the gang of dreamers in Washington.

And I'm quite sure there are a lot more childless single adults, as well as couples, choosing that option.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-14-2015 at 02:14 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 01:42 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,502,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
You ask if it's the "right" thing to do.

"Right" by who? Who gets to decide what is right and wrong? That's not for anyone to decide. It's all opinion. It's only the 2 people involved to decide. NOT you. And who cares? Why do you care so much. If you are so happy in your decision, then why does it matter? Live your life and stop worrying about and judging those who decide not to have kids.

My husband and I don't want them for every reason you can think of. Name it, that's a reason. The end, and I don't care if you think it's right or wrong. NOT your business buddy. Who the hell are you to question whether it's "correct for society". You don't get to decide what happens in the uteri of everyone woman in the US, so move along and find a hobby.

Seriously? Is this your "stern", finger-pointing "warning" to "get on that baby-making"!! Wow. I'm sure they are changing their mind and "getting right to it" right now!
I agree 100% with everything you said here. My husband and I both have college degrees (mine is in Physics, no less), and we don't want kids, for every possible reason. And I totally agree that no one has the right to tell me I am doing the "wrong thing".

However, I also agree with the premise of the thread. I am terrified that as ludicrous as the Idiocracy movie is, it is a not altogether incorrect representation of the way our society is currently headed. It is completely true that the more educated members of society are having fewer children than the less educated, a trend that tends to escalate exponentially.

Despite understanding that, there is no amount of money you could offer me in order to make me choose to have a child. It has nothing to do with economics. I just don't want children. Most people I know who have chosen similarly say the same thing. The money is a nice bonus, but isn't why we made the decision.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:20 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,832,879 times
Quote:
China thought just as you do and the experiment is failing. Soon they will have a population of predominantly OLD people.
It's not so much on just not having kids anymore- just the point of this thread. As more people are coming in, many need to take leave. Which is why climate is what it is, and why thongs like incurable diseases exist, but the point of this thread is having babies or not.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Personally, I don't like babies or small children.
I hear you and from a social point of view there is NOTHING wrong with that. But, am talking about evolution and those that do not leave DNA behind stay out of the natural selection process. That they are or were fit to survive becomes a moot point.

Last edited by Julian658; 11-14-2015 at 04:47 PM..

Old 11-14-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I agree 100% with everything you said here. My husband and I both have college degrees (mine is in Physics, no less), and we don't want kids, for every possible reason. And I totally agree that no one has the right to tell me I am doing the "wrong thing".

However, I also agree with the premise of the thread. I am terrified that as ludicrous as the Idiocracy movie is, it is a not altogether incorrect representation of the way our society is currently headed. It is completely true that the more educated members of society are having fewer children than the less educated, a trend that tends to escalate exponentially.

Despite understanding that, there is no amount of money you could offer me in order to make me choose to have a child. It has nothing to do with economics. I just don't want children. Most people I know who have chosen similarly say the same thing. The money is a nice bonus, but isn't why we made the decision.
Great post! As a physicist I am certain you understand the math and the implications regarding future generations. Two physicists are likely to have brilliant children and this is the loss of the next generation. Leopold Mozart a great musician on his own gave us Amadeus Mozart.

OTOH, it is a shame Isaac Newton never had children. It is no accident that the father of Max Plank was a law professor and that the father of Einstein was an engineer.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I think the answer to the OP's original question depends upon the individual(s).

Much of the education and "rounding out" I received in my younger days came from a comfortable bachelor uncle -- a career educator; he was gay, but not openly so, and his liaisons were limited to men of his own age and social standing.

I'm now in my sixties -- never-married, childless, and relatively secure; have never believed in the pursuit of hedonism as a goal in and of itself. And I count three couples with children (one involves "the woman that got away") as the closest friends within my circle; when I leave this earth, any possessions still in my hands will go to them. They will make much better use of it than the gang of dreamers in Washington.

And I'm quite sure there are a lot more childless single adults, as well as couples, choosing that option.

I admire your position and see nothing wrong. Two childless couples I know are among my best friends ever and they spend every Christmas and Thanksgiving with us. However, I don't expect to be in their will.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:32 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,145,317 times
Good point. You may 'save' the environment but you also eliminate your unique gene combination from the gene pool.

Having a happy and invigorating family life is indeed a wonderful outcome of having children. Some men leave the child rearing mostly to their spouse, which allows them to be highly productive and useful members of society, yet they are able to enjoy the family setting. But the spouse needs to want this to be her main career. Not every woman accepts that.

When both husband and wife want to be maximally productive, they may end up not feeling that they would be able to give children the attention they deserve. I think that is why some highly educated couples do not have children of their own, even when they would have qualified as great parents. They are dedicated to improving society in some way other than raising children. And as mentioned above, some highly productive men and women don't even want the distraction of a full time spouse.

Last edited by luv4horses; 11-14-2015 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates