Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 04:28 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,069 times

Advertisements

It seems that there aren't enough people willing to break the mold and make their own way. If you ask the majority of people what their life plan is, it goes something like, "go to school, get good grades, get a good job". However, it doesn't take into account the crazy student loans, the instability of most jobs, etc. Is it the fear of failure? Laziness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:36 PM

215 posts, read 185,347 times
Shawn is correct
You don't understand the hurdles until you try it

Start with eBay and Craigslist
Small, low risk

Then try to create your own platform
But be secretive, not too open about it
The government will come after you for "imagined earnings"
Will demand paperwork

Who handles your paperwork?
Yes, that's required

Oh, you're a one-man show?
Time to register your business with the IRS if you have ever touched money someone handed you

How much am I being taxed?
Depends
Here's a big stack of papers that somewhere contains information pertaining to you
But if that seems like a big waste of time, perhaps a representative can be sent to audit your work and get to the bottom of things

Don't want random visits? Don't want scripted allegations from a tax-rep's employee training manual?
Pay someone to handle your paperwork
You don't need to understand it

Old 11-17-2015, 11:22 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
Starting your own business is very risky these days. You have to invest a lot of money just to get it going and keep your fingers crossed that it works out (unfortunately most businesses don't last). With so many options for shopping and services today, it is really hard to stand out, so it takes more than hard work to be successful; it also takes luck.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:08 AM

434 posts, read 248,018 times
Whats the statistic? Something like 2 out of 3 new businesses fail in the first couple of years leaving the previous owners in various degrees of financial trouble.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:26 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,583,047 times
Federal, State and Local regulations are soul crushing. Much easier to throw your money out the window and then stick a needle in your eye. Same results when all is said and done. If you by some miracle make it out the gate and open your doors. This Great Economy we have been living in for the last 7 years will crush you.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:04 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
We started our own business 25 years ago....realized that we could make the money for ourselves that we were making for our employer....we got lucky , tho...not everyone can start something from scratch! And, we had a learning curve...managing the business is different from "owning" the business.

Yes...regulations are a PIA...fees and taxes are a HUGE expense. still...we get to do it FOR US!

Old 11-18-2015, 08:29 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
I started a business in 2006. I took on huge debt (credit cards), worked nightshift at my regular job, came home and worked at my business during the day, running on very little sleep. It was damn scary and exhausting. The paperwork required by the government is crazy. As I became more successful but still had lots of debt, instead of reducing debt I had to pay huge taxes. That was disheartening, then I wanted to hire more people but Obama raised taxes, that squelched those hiring plans, instead I opted to relax more instead.

Now, although my company has a lot of growth potential, but I would need to invest more money, I will need to hire people, taking on more paperwork, more responsibility it's come to the point it's not a good investment after the taxation. People invest to make a profit and take that motive away it doesn't make sense. After all, they say I've made enough so ok.

Last edited by petch751; 11-18-2015 at 09:30 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 07:36 AM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times
My wife and I started our own real estate company in 2006 and it has been tough going but we have kept our heads above water even through the recession. Yes we could work for another big company and probably make the same money, maybe more without the overhanging headaches but we are stubborn and a bit prideful that we do it on our own.

We could use more advertising which is really expensive but as far as service to our clients the internet is the great leveling field and we are able to work more closely with clients due to our "boutique" experience. I like to say "yours is not just another listing but a priority"

As they say in the Shark Tank TV show there are many Wantrepreneurs but not many actual entrepreneurs.

It is a tough business to be in business for yourself.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:30 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I tried it a long time ago and made enough to pay for the house and food but not much else. Then the business rules changed and I had no more clients. End of business so I went back to work for others. Fortunately the others were governments and I was in a Union. The pay wasn't great but the security made up for than and the post retirement health insurance is great.

If I were starting now I would consider getting, keeping and retiring from a Federal professional job to be a very successful form of entrepreneurialism.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:42 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
The local, state, and federal government are the biggest hurdles that must be crossed to start your own business. Property taxes (land, building, expensive equipment) must be paid up front and every year after. Need permits (another form of taxes) for just about every stage of developing, opening, and operating a business. Some businesses must deal with regular state or federal inspectors to meet regulations that change every year. Contract services like trash, sewage, cooking oil waste, etc must be met to operate the business. Is the building in a flood zone, earthquake area, tornado country, or hurricane country? Better have insurance for any natural disaster in your area. Better have other insurance to cover accidents that injure or kill an employee or customer. Tax laws change regularly. May need to outsource your payroll accounting. Might want to keep a law firm on hand for your own protection. Put cash aside to grease the palms of corrupt health inspectors, cops, and politicians who'll shut down your business if they don't get a little on the side. There's a lot more involved depending on the nature of the business. Does it require a state license for the type of work to be performed? Does it involve hazardous chemicals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates