Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
If you weren't getting bent out of shape, then why did you feel the need to direct a snide comment at me?

It is extremely easy to go shopping the day before or after or a week ahead or whenever, so I don't see the necessity of retail workers needing to miss time with their families just so people can go shopping.

I'm not complaining about anything, I just stated my opinion which you didn't like so you called me stupid.
I wasn't being snide.
I was saying that the being with family vs convenience argument works both ways.
I hear this argument all the time, so I wanted to point out it's a silly argument to tell someone just to plan better.

The emergency department is FULLY staffed on every holiday. Why? Because people still come in 24/7. With small behavior modifications and planning ahead by the general public, we could cut the crew down by at least a third and more people could be with their families.

But you know, why should anyone else plan and/or wait? Just the people who knew going in that they'd be sacrificing holidays to serve the public should have to do that, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 08:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
This is something most of the players are going to want to do, it's something they have been dreaming about since they were kids sitting at home watching the games on TV on Thanksgiving. The exception might be long term Dallas or Detroit players. Professional football careers are fleeting, many never get the chance to play on Thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:09 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,649,841 times
Quote:
No, I never said any such thing about 8-8. You are yelling at me for something I never even alluded to.
My apologies to you. It wasn't you. It a poster above you. And I wasn't yelling. I didn't type everything in caps which would be yelling.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,649,841 times
Quote:
The OP wanted to know if the NFL should lead the way to no one working on Thanksgiving (apparently a pretend holiday that's been masquerading as important for 200 years) and all I said was that there are certain things that won't and can't be shut down due to necessity.
Thanksgiving as we celebrate it today is absolutely NOTHING like the original event was. Thanksgiving has been more about Black Friday shopping for decades than a turkey which they didn't even eat at the first Thanksgiving. Far from everyone celebrates Thanksgiving. And it wasn't about family getting together to carve up the largest dead, frozen, biological destroyed bird they could find.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:29 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
If I feel bad for anyone it's the retail workers who have to work these ridiculous Black Friday sales because somehow retail chains can't understand that if it's a good sale people will still show up. Even if it's not until noon on Fri. Have a great sale on March 24th, if you're offering half price iPad you'll get enough customers.
It's all because of lamebrain CEOs who think it appeases lamebrain shareholders when they show how much they pulled in over Black Friday weekend. Sadly no one has seemingly quite figured out yet they're only front-loading revenue from the rest of the season to make it look better than it really is. Go back over the past few years and you'll see retail sales have grown at a very modest couple of percentage points versus year prior, and is indicative of retailers who go through the futile effort of opening early Black Friday and those that do not.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:40 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,713,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
We all don't live or work on your time table. You mentioned people doing nothing outside of 8 am and 8 pm earlier on this thread. That doesn't work for me at all! I work until 8 pm once a week. I stop at the grocery store and grab something I can reheat for dinner. Should I stay overnight at work and go hungry just to make you happy? That's NEVER gonna happen! It's not all about you! There are MILLIONS of people who have to do things outside of 8am-8pm.....must be nice to live, work, and play in that kind of bubble...
The Black Friday sale at my local farm store runs from 5 AM to 11 AM. That gives farmers two hours to shop before dawn, which is kind of tight but do-able.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:00 PM

36,588 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
The entertainment industry is a different thing. There are some fields you go into like entertainment, medicine, travel (pilots, flight attendants) where you know you are going to have to work holidays, because the world doesn't stop on those days, just slows down. It is not necessary for the retail world to be open on those days. No one needs to go sweater shopping on Thanksgiving, no one needs to get a new tablet on Thanksgiving. If everyone knows the stores will be closed, get your grocery shopping done and fill up your car the day before. Let those people have time with their families.
Well just like the jobs you mentioned I assumed jobs in the service business, retail, restaurants, etc. would come with the assumption that you might be scheduled to work holidays or extended hours.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:16 PM

17 posts, read 26,695 times
No, Target and similar stores should lead the way. Use it as a PR move ("Target believes in the importance of family on this special day...") and use it to draw extra attention to the deals at whatever time they choose to open. It seems to me that the stores could benefit from having a later opening than other stores in that they draw a different crowd of people (or draw those from earlier door busters in addition to the ones they would have pulled due to the strength of their deals alone). If all the stores open at similar times, they're competing over the same customers based purely on the strength of their deals. I know lots of research goes into these type things but it looks to me that much of the analysis is centered around opening as early as the other guys vs not, with the decision to open early being spurred by the idea of not leaving sales that a competitor could get. I think this is shortsighted in that the marketing potential of opening later (under the banner of family values) opens up lots of potential advantages that are being overlooked.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:39 PM

772 posts, read 915,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Are they supposed to celebrate Thanksgiving in the football off season?

I bet you all football teams that play, have a crazy thanksgiving dinner hosted for them, and their familys after the game . I bet the dinner is above and beyond anything us common folk have experienced.

I have a hard time feeling bad for millionares.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:35 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,184,173 times
I always love working on a holiday. It get more money and it's always busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates