Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 07:30 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times

Advertisements

Something else I just thought of. A kid on my son's soccer team was born in Spain. Not Latin America, actual European Spain. When I first met his dad on the sidelines I mis-heard the accent and thought he was German (lots of German immigrants in the area); that's how "white" he looks. There's no way you'd look at this guy and think anything other than "white", and yet technically he could be considered Hispanic (but not Latino).

And, a woman in my office is half Hispanic. Her mom immigrated from Mexico as a child and later married her white dad. This woman knows zero Spanish. Even though she's half Hispanic/Latina, she has very long black hair, and her skin is maybe slightly darker than average, there is no way anyone who ever looked at or talked to her would think anything other than "white".

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 12-10-2015 at 07:42 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 04:58 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,223,743 times
The people who we call "Latino" or "hispanic" today were completely contrived as an ethnic group during the 70's by bureaucrats and lobbyist groups. They are a result of social engineering. Before then, they were always considered white...for all of American history.

There's nothing new about this.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:25 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
When I think Latino, or Hispanic, I think; Spain, Mexico, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Brazil, places where spanish is spoken, I'll stick to that, as people are trying to reinvent people. If they are supposed to be white, they sure aren't treated like it. Leave what people are, alone, I don't want to go back to being ¾ of a human again, or whatever.
Excuse me Portuguese person here. We are neither Latino(from Latin America) or Hispanic(Spanish speaking). Brazilians are Latino but not Hispanic. I really don't understand why it's so hard to understand but anyway here is a link to a video that explains Latino vs Hispanic someone posted it on another thread related to the Hispanic classification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBt5rMD2aDc

Old 12-11-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Excuse me Portuguese person here. We are neither Latino(from Latin America) or Hispanic(Spanish speaking). Brazilians are Latino but not Hispanic. I really don't understand why it's so hard to understand but anyway here is a link to a video that explains Latino vs Hispanic someone posted it on another thread related to the Hispanic classification.
Interesting video... very informative. One thing new I learned is that Portugal is part of the historical Roman district of Hispania, which arguably means you are Hispanic

(j/k)

Old 12-11-2015, 06:27 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Interesting video... very informative. One thing new I learned is that Portugal is part of the historical Roman district of Hispania, which arguably means you are Hispanic

(j/k)
Wrong, I refuse to have that identity imposed on me! I don't know a single Portuguese-American who claims to be Hispanic. Not a single one, the stupid Portuguese-American politicians like to bur the line because it gives them the "Hispanic" vote.

If the moronic Portuguese people of the state of Florida want to call themselves Hispanic that is a separate issue.

The term Hispanic is derived from the country of Spain which acquired it's name from the historical Roman Hispania. Portuguese people are not Spaniards sorry but you're wrong.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Wrong, I refuse to have that identity imposed on me!
The term Hispanic is derived from the country of Spain which acquired it's name from the historical Roman Hispania. Portuguese people are not Spaniards sorry but you're wrong.
For what it's worth, "j/k" means "just kidding". I wasn't being serious. Feel free to call yourself whatever you want. I personally refer to myself as an "American Mutt", but I doubt you'll find that designation on a census form anytime soon.

That said, I'm not wrong. Portugal was part of the historical Roman district of Hispania. It included the entire Iberian peninsula south and west of the Pyrenees Mountains. Using your definition, "from the historical Roman Hispania", and using the video that you posted up the page a bit, that technically makes someone from Portugal "Hispanic".

And it wasn't just during Roman times. Portugal was part of Germanic Hispania after the fall of the Romans. It was conquered along with the rest of Hispania when the Moors invaded. It was a county in the Kingdom of España after being re-conquered by Christians. The country of Portugal didn't gain full independence until the 12th century.

But anywho, back on topic, Latinos who are descendants of Hispania (whether you include Portugal or not; I don't care) generally have light skin, and therefore are usually considered white.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:08 AM
AFP

Quote:
For what it's worth, "j/k" means "just kidding". I wasn't being serious. Feel free to call yourself whatever you want. I personally refer to myself as an "American Mutt", but I doubt you'll find that designation on a census form anytime soon.

That said, I'm not wrong. Portugal was part of the historical Roman district of Hispania. It included the entire Iberian peninsula south and west of the Pyrenees Mountains. Using your definition, "from the historical Roman Hispania", and using the video that you posted up the page a bit, that technically makes someone from Portugal "Hispanic".

And it wasn't just during Roman times. Portugal was part of Germanic Hispania after the fall of the Romans. It was conquered along with the rest of Hispania when the Moors invaded. It was a county in the Kingdom of España after being re-conquered by Christians. The country of Portugal didn't gain full independence until the 12th century.

But anywho, back on topic, Latinos who are descendants of Hispania (whether you include Portugal or not; I don't care) generally have light skin, and therefore are usually considered white.
I didn't catch the j/k I was quite early here lol.

No, Portuguese aren't technically Hispanic the Kingdom of Castile hijacked the name Spain from the Roman territory of Hispania almost three centuries after Portugal was a nation. The word Hispanic referrs to the culture and language derived from Spain the word It's a cultural/linguitic rather than racial.

The 12th century is ancient by European standards three centuries before Spain.

The Hispanic category was created in 1970 to help economically disadvantaged Latinos in the USA.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:15 AM
AFP

Quote:

I believe the term "white" was originally created in the US to describe "American mutts" of Northern European descent it has since then expanded to include Southern European, Eastern European, North Africans, Middle Easterners, Latin Americans of European descent etc. pretty much a worthless non-descriptive category. I think we would all be better served if the term went out of use. If I am pressed to choose on forms I choose white but have no attachment to the term I view it as a generic category that describes phenotype. The only terms I have any attachment to are American(grew up in America) and Portuguese(country of birth).

Old 12-16-2015, 07:49 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,344 times
Quote:
"

And for what it's worth, the USA has a long history of "elevating" different groups to "white" status. .

"Elevating". LOL Not busting you, Jwkilgore. You are just telling it as it is. But I swear it must be just pretty nice for the white race to feel 'elevated' simply because they tumbled out of their mothers' stomach a particular skin color.

It's like...oh you get ELEVATED to be considered white. LOL Don't have to do a thing..just be white.

Do I get 'elevated' too, I wonder? I am equally half black and half white. I have a whole one side of my family tree with nothing but whites.

Not that I am curling up in the fetal position over this, as I think it is a bit ridiculous. But I do think it's funny us half black/white people don't get that 'elevation' such as it is.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:19 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Something else I just thought of. A kid on my son's soccer team was born in Spain. Not Latin America, actual European Spain. When I first met his dad on the sidelines I mis-heard the accent and thought he was German (lots of German immigrants in the area); that's how "white" he looks. There's no way you'd look at this guy and think anything other than "white", and yet technically he could be considered Hispanic (but not Latino).

And, a woman in my office is half Hispanic. Her mom immigrated from Mexico as a child and later married her white dad. This woman knows zero Spanish. Even though she's half Hispanic/Latina, she has very long black hair, and her skin is maybe slightly darker than average, there is no way anyone who ever looked at or talked to her would think anything other than "white".
But, the US Census has determined that anyone that speaks Spanish cannot be white.

Tom Jones is white because he speaks English:

Sofia Vergara cannot be white because she speaks Spanish:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates