Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 08:26 PM

920 posts, read 933,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I don't know who makes these racial categories, but they were morons. Why are arabs and middle easterners and north africans considered white? Why is there no separate category for indians vs east asians, but inuits get their own class... The whole system is beyond stupid.

Realistically, they should break down your race/ethnicity by your native (pre westernization/colonialization) language family. So native americans would be like 4 or 5 different classes, Na Dene, Mississippian, Inuit... Mexicans and aztec/maya people would be in an olmetic category, whites would either be in Germanic, Romance, Slavic... under the indo european class.

This would be more complicated, but much, much, much more descriptive and actually accurate.
Yes it is interesting but I think there is some prestige in being labeled caucasian/white.

I am surprised East Indians and Native Americans would ever be linked since they are as opposite in every way, you can think of. Blacks are even closer to Native American than so called east indians

Old 12-16-2015, 08:41 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times
Why are some people in America obsessed by the idea of racially classifying people?

Old 12-16-2015, 08:50 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,908,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Why are some people in America obsessed by the idea of racially classifying people?
I'm still not sure entirely and I've lived here most of my life since age 7 family immigrated from Portugal, some people do try to impose forcefully this stupid racial classification it's one of the stupidest things about American culture, very backwards.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I'm still not sure entirely and I've lived here most of my life since age 7 family immigrated from Portugal, some people do try to impose forcefully this stupid racial classification it's one of the stupidest things about American culture, very backwards.
It is very American that is for sure. And we have more racial classes than the old days in South Africa.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:57 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,393,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
"Latino" isn't a race, it's an ethnic group.
"latino" is better described as a culture rather than an ethnic group.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:02 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,368,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
"latino" is better described as a culture rather than an ethnic group.
And Latinos can be of different races or more than one.

There are Latinos/Hispanics of Asian ancestry (like the Cuban Chinese, Peruvians such as former President Fujimori), for example.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:16 AM

282 posts, read 236,502 times
"Latino" (I hate that term. They're Hispanic. From Hispania which is the land of Spain and Portugal) being white refers to the European (Spanish/Portuguese) side of the people. Not the "savages" side. In other words, they're being identified as being of Spanish decent, but the Spanish conquistadors took to breeding with the natives and so the mess is made of all the terminology and identity.

A more important question is why is it when someone is a mixed race and they are partially white, that part of them is utterly ignored? For instance, a person who is half black, half white is just considered black (like our president). We like to white wash the white from people.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post

A more important question is why is it when someone is a mixed race and they are partially white, that part of them is utterly ignored? For instance, a person who is half black, half white is just considered black (like our president). We like to white wash the white from people.
All humanity comes from Africa so it is possible to find some minute quantities of black DNA in white people.

I believe white has to do with recessive genes whereas other groups have dominant genes. The racist folks thought that purity was important for being "white". Obama is 50% white, but all those genes are mostly recessive (hidden).

But, according to who you talk to "white" is anyone that looks European regardless of purity. However, those that are more racists only consider Nordics as "white" where the skin is pink rather than white and the eyes are pale blue with gold hair. In other words a true "white" is almost an albino. BTW, it is not uncommon to find "white" Germans with heavily tanned skin.

When it comes to dogs and cats it is no big deal to talk about breed, but that is not PC with humans.

Last edited by Julian658; 12-18-2015 at 08:15 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 07:52 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,302,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
There's a lot of talk about Latinos being considered white in the future of America because of assimilation or intermarriage, but since a substantial amount of Latinos are of Native(Mayan/Andean) or Triracial/Trigueno descent, would that mean that non-hispanic Native Americans/Metis and non-hispanic Biracials/Mulattos/Creoles will be considered "white" as well in the same process.

If not, wouldn't that be unfair to exclude mixed/full Native Americans and Biracial/Creole people from identifying as "white" while their Latino look-a-likes get to enjoy that benefit?
Quote:
"Latino" (I hate that term. They're Hispanic. From Hispania which is the land of Spain and Portugal) being white refers to the European (Spanish/Portuguese) side of the people. Not the "savages" side. In other words, they're being identified as being of Spanish decent, but the Spanish conquistadors took to breeding with the natives and so the mess is made of all the terminology and identity.

I may be an interesting case study here then. I claim "white" although my ethnicity pie chart is something like 50% German, 25% Irish, 12.5% Spain, 6.25% Navajo, and 6.25% Mexican. I have an olive complexion so I feel like I SHOULD claim Hispanic or Native American, but I have no connection with either of those cultures. I just look brown. But my pie chart is mostly caucasian and that's how I feel, so that's what I claim. My brother is very white, and no one would ever guess he's part Hispanic & Navajo.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:24 AM

2,824 posts, read 2,292,611 times
Quote:
While that largely has to do with the fact that the US has historically been an overwhelmingly white society. Historically, in most of the county "white" has been pretty much the default race, if you look anything other than 100% white you are going to look like a "minority" or different from the majority.

It's the same reason "bisexuals" get lumped in with gay people as "sexual minorities". When it is just as correct to lump "straights and bisexuals" together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.