Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 07:08 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The trend is toward demonizing whites and paying people to claim that they aren't white. America has elected a man president, twice, who is half white yet swears he is black. Why not encourage people to claime whiteness and expand the white tent rather than shrink it?
You seem to be confused on how it came to be that a person like Obama who is half black/white is considered black by American society.

Historic racial classifications and social engineering based on race is why no one considers him white. The class in power (white Americans) created the classifications that determined that anyone who had outward black features or skin was to be considered "black" in our society. Obama could call himself white all day but American society will still consider him black. Likewise for anyone who is part black, whether it be 50%, 25% or 10%, unless their black traits are recessive and not readily apparent. This sort of racial classification is unlikely to ever change as it is culturally ingrained into our society. If any part of you is black in America, then you're black.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:35 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
You seem to be confused on how it came to be that a person like Obama who is half black/white is considered black by American society.

Historic racial classifications and social engineering based on race is why no one considers him white. The class in power (white Americans) created the classifications that determined that anyone who had outward black features or skin was to be considered "black" in our society. Obama could call himself white all day but American society will still consider him black. Likewise for anyone who is part black, whether it be 50%, 25% or 10%, unless their black traits are recessive and not readily apparent. This sort of racial classification is unlikely to ever change as it is culturally ingrained into our society. If any part of you is black in America, then you're black.
It is not just an American classification. In what other countries would he or anyone else who is half black and half white be considered white?

Old 12-27-2015, 11:08 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
There's a lot of talk about Latinos being considered white in the future of America because of assimilation or intermarriage, but since a substantial amount of Latinos are of Native(Mayan/Andean) or Triracial/Trigueno descent, would that mean that non-hispanic Native Americans/Metis and non-hispanic Biracials/Mulattos/Creoles will be considered "white" as well in the same process.

If not, wouldn't that be unfair to exclude mixed/full Native Americans and Biracial/Creole people from identifying as "white" while their Latino look-a-likes get to enjoy that benefit?

Why not let each individual worry about the issue for his or herself?

I think you're confusing Latinos with Hispanics. They aren't the same thing.

Latino's are an ethnic grouping. Hispanics are a language grouping. Either group of people can be multiracial of course, and they decide how they want to identify on the census.

Latino's are descendants of native central and South American peoples.
Hispanics are people who speak Spanish as a primary language, and they can come from Spain or any of it's former colonies. Generally this includes all parts of central and South America, with the exception of Brazil. Brazilians speak Portuguese.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:50 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I did not know there were specifics, I'm sorry.
I'm not offended if someone thinks I'm Latino/Hispanic because that person doesn't know that Portuguese people have a unique (culture/language/history) after all in most parts we aren't very common and some Latinos/Hispanics do look like us. What I object to is having a label that I did not choose being applied to describe me against my will, that I will fight against very forcefully and make no apologies for rudeness if necessary. The term Hispanic doesn't at all describe my culture, history, language accurately.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:17 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I'm not offended if someone thinks I'm Latino/Hispanic because that person doesn't know that Portuguese people have a unique (culture/language/history) after all in most parts we aren't very common and some Latinos/Hispanics do look like us. What I object to is having a label that I did not choose being applied to describe me against my will, that I will fight against very forcefully and make no apologies for rudeness if necessary. The term Hispanic doesn't at all describe my culture, history, language accurately.
Most folks in the USA think Spain is in South America. They also think Brazilians speak Spanish. And lastly, they have no clue about Portugal.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:45 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Yes I know I've lived in the USA 39 years(naturalized American here) I'm quite familiar with how uninformed uninterested and ethnocentric many Americans are , however that doesn't stop some of these folks from voicing their ignorant opinions forcefully.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:54 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Most folks in the USA think Spain is in South America. They also think Brazilians speak Spanish. And lastly, they have no clue about Portugal.
Amazing that you know what most of the over 300 million people in the USA think! I had no idea the knowledge I have on the subjects you've named is so unique. Wow!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:55 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
Everyone thinks differently.

I'm Chicano/Mexican
I am not pure. Who know what Im mixed with. My grandmother is brown and could pass as Navajo.
My grandfather looked Mestizo leaning towards european.
My father brown, mother looked european white.

Anyway the point is... I don't know what I am. Everyone labels me something differently.

A lot of black people just see light skin tones and call you white.
My facial attributes are not like that of Europeans though.

European/Anglo/White Americans automatically cast me aside as something else.
Most guess latino/Hispanic. Others ask if I'm mixed.

So it just depends on who you ask.

If it benefits someone(Politics), they'll accept you.
If it doesn't... well they usually separate you.

We are the buffer zones in White/Black neighborhoods in cities.

That's just what I see.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:22 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
There's a lot of talk about Latinos being considered white in the future of America because of assimilation or intermarriage, but since a substantial amount of Latinos are of Native(Mayan/Andean) or Triracial/Trigueno descent, would that mean that non-hispanic Native Americans/Metis and non-hispanic Biracials/Mulattos/Creoles will be considered "white" as well in the same process.

If not, wouldn't that be unfair to exclude mixed/full Native Americans and Biracial/Creole people from identifying as "white" while their Latino look-a-likes get to enjoy that benefit?

Creole is a culture...NOT a race. There are black Creoles, white Creoles, etc. My grandmother is a Creole and she considers herself black.

Unfortunately, d/t to one-drop rule, anyone with even a hint of African blood was deemed African. I disagree with this as it is racist. It implies that white people are superior to all others and must therefore be preserved and pure.

I wish black people were as protective of African "purity" as everyone else. The only other ethnic group more accepting is Native American.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:24 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The trend is toward demonizing whites and paying people to claim that they aren't white. America has elected a man president, twice, who is half white yet swears he is black. Why not encourage people to claime whiteness and expand the white tent rather than shrink it?
Let's be for real...would the Klan accept someone like the President as "white"? How about Halle Berry or Alicia Keys? Colin Powell? No?

It isn't "demonizing" white people to say that white people, historically, have been very exclusive. Why else was Frederick Douglass, a biracial man with a white father, enslaved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.