Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 04:55 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,208,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
There's a lot of talk about Latinos being considered white in the future of America because of assimilation or intermarriage, but since a substantial amount of Latinos are of Native(Mayan/Andean) or Triracial/Trigueno descent, would that mean that non-hispanic Native Americans/Metis and non-hispanic Biracials/Mulattos/Creoles will be considered "white" as well in the same process.

If not, wouldn't that be unfair to exclude mixed/full Native Americans and Biracial/Creole people from identifying as "white" while their Latino look-a-likes get to enjoy that benefit?
Latino/Hispanic is not a race; they are a cultural group made up of a number of ethnic groups (Mexican/Puerto Rican/Dominican/Guatemalan, etc) with predominantly Spanish or Portuguese influences, primarily language (Spanish/Portuguese) and religion (Roman Catholic). Latinos or Hispanics can be of any race or mixture of races, including but not limited to, white. Most Latinos that I know/have known identify either as Latinos/Hispanics or as their individual ethnicity rather than as any race. The US government has recognized this for at least the last two decades and requires that institutions like colleges and schools report race separately from Latino/Hispanic culture.

The US recognizes other groups as ethnic/cultural groups, too. These include Native Americans and Asians.

Moreover, there is no law in the US that classifies people as to race (at least any more), so people self-identify. Many mixed race people identify themselves by the race that they most closely resemble, but they don't have to do that. Other mixed race people identify with the race or cultural group that has most strongly influenced their lives. Most people who identify as Native Americans and Asians are predominantly of those ethnic heritages, but among Latinos/Hispanics, many identify as white because, well, they are because their DNA is overwhelmingly European.

I really don't think there is a lot to "debate" on this issue if one has a minimal understanding of genetics as well as how the US government determines "race" (ie, you are what you identify yourself as). Intermarriage among people of different races/cultures/ethnicities has long been common in many parts of the world. For a long time, interracial mixing wasn't often openly done in the US, but that's changed in the last half century. Too many Americans are still caught up in the bigoted ideas of previous generations and continue to worry about classifying other Americans as this race or that group. How about we just accept people as people? That doesn't mean that we have to lose our ethnic or cultural or racial heritages, but rather that we should value our own and accept others' as just as good as ours.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:04 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,208,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I would say that 30% African causes a person to look African rather than white. This woman is 23% African and still looks African:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTERqO9aIhI
Not necessarily. Decades ago, when being identified as "black" was a much more serious limitation than it is today, many people who were 30-40-50% black or more and looked "white", "passed" by moving to northern or western cities and taking up new identities and lives, often claiming to be "Italian" or "Spanish" if that worked for them.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:56 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,351,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
We should personally have once race. Its called the human race and anyone who is human is part of it. Why do we break ourselves down like this and segregate ourselves? That is what leads to discrimination, prejudice beliefs, and a lot of hate. I am an Arab, as an Arab I have to classify myself as white, unfortunately I never get the benefits of being considered "White", and I never get treated as white and I face lots of hate. Our society has many things messed up in it still. One major step in the right direction would be to break down the way we segregate ourselves.
France does not classify people----everybody is one race and that is it------ and yet they have problems.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:10 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,351,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Not necessarily. Decades ago, when being identified as "black" was a much more serious limitation than it is today, many people who were 30-40-50% black or more and looked "white", "passed" by moving to northern or western cities and taking up new identities and lives, often claiming to be "Italian" or "Spanish" if that worked for them.
Many white southern folks have some African DNA because the daughters or sons of master and slaves started to look white. After one generation it was 50% African, 25% after two, and 12.5% after three generations. At this point some moved to the white side of the fence and lived the rest of their lives like that.

Blacks were not allowed to played major league baseball until Jackie Robinson, however, Euro looking Latins played in the majors many years before Jackie Robinson.

Luque was already in the in the Big leagues in 1914.

Bithorn was with the Cubs well ahead of other so-called minorities.

Shortly afterwards another latin Luis Olmo was also in the big leagues.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:33 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,233,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Bithorn was with the Cubs well ahead of other so-called minorities.
...at the time, they were not minorities.

In those days, a white person from Cuba was white.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:15 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,168,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
...at the time, they were not minorities.

In those days, a white person from Cuba was white.
Which is why Ricky and Lucy could star on TV on I Love Lucy. Their beds separated by a nightstand even though they were married for real was due to sexual not racial concerns.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,406,582 times
Latino men are about the sexiest damn men on the ENTIRE PLANET to me (next to South European/some Russian men)...!

Whether or not they or anyone else are considered white doesn't matter to me.

I say that as a white woman myself. 1/2 British, 1/2 Slovakian.
Who cares?

They're hotttties extreme. ❤❤❤

Old 01-09-2016, 01:34 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,222,925 times
Latinos will never become white. Many are mulattos who will never pass as white and even white latinos have a different culture from regular whites. White people are becoming a minority and it is very apparent. Within 35 years, this country will not even be majority white. It will be majority latino and black

Old 01-09-2016, 01:38 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,406,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Within 35 years, this country will not even be majority white. It will be majority latino and black
Not if Trump becomes first in command.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:58 PM

749 posts, read 857,354 times
I think it is important to define some concepts here, because it seems like everyone is throwing in the word "race" while implying different meanings.

Many people will deem as White just about anyone with lighter skin. However anthropologically speaking Someone's "race" isn't solely based on their skin color, but rather on the morphology of their skull. Many Asians have fairer skin than white Caucasians themselves, but they aren't considered as such (and themselves wouldn't want to) due to their different facial structure. The same goes for Hispanics. Many are mestizos and while some may have lighter skin, they also have noticeable Amerindian features such as dark coarse hair, black (not brown) eyes, prominent cheekbones and a larger body structure.

Making of race an entirely genetic concept is a fallacy. Humanity has been intermixing for so long it would be irrational to believe in race purity. Despite all looking different, us humans share a lot of the same genetic patrimony. The diversity in human looks can be explained in the fact that not all genes are necessarily expressed and made part of our physical appearance, also called phenotype.
Therefore "race" can only be acceptable as a composite concept, made of the combination of the phenotype and the ethnic group an individual belongs to.

While many people criticize race census as being racist, let's not forget that such polls have been made to gauge and fight racial discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates