Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:22 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I do think older generations developed better interpersonal skills. Most younger people can't talk for more than 5 minutes before getting absorbed into their smart phone. The joke is computers were designed by anti social geeks and their inventions are making everyone anti social lol.
Maybe that is because that is how we connect with people is why? It's a lot easier for me to text or talk to my friends on Facebook that it is to call them, or in some cases see then. It's not that we don't have the skills, but rather it's we use them differently. I've noticed a lot of older people seem to take issue with this and make a lot of incorrect assumptions on the subject as well.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:55 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I think younger people show more respect now than the younger generation did during the 60s and 70s. But the cell phone thing really bugs me. These kids are all going to have back and posture problems when they get older from hunching over their phones for hours everyday. If you want to hunch over your phone in Starbucks, fine. But don't play with your phone while you are driving or while you are walking on a crowded street or mall, blocking everyone behind you and oblivious to the world. Or stop at the top of the stairs blocking everyone behind while you mess around on the phone. Act like a car and pull over to the right, out of everyone's way.

Old 01-11-2016, 01:26 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
My Mom and I were discussing this the other day. She told me about her recent experience at a local mall.

My Mom was describing how she and my Father felt invisible while walking through a busy mall. She specifically singled out the younger generations and how they pretty much ignored my parents and walked right through them like they weren't even there or deserving of an "excuse me/pardon me".

This is not the first time she had mentioned this.

Now she could be more sensitive to this because she is a Senior and I assume that many Seniors of all generations say the same thing. "These kids these days have no respect".

But is there any truth to this? Have we raised an even more self-entitled, rude generation(s) or is this just youth?

I am in my mid-40s and live in a hipster area. I can see some age bias towards me as I have gray hair but I can't say it's excessive. I probably had some age bias myself when I was younger. But what I do notice is the bitchy/whiny (sp?) voices which absolutely drives me crazy. The Comedian, Louis C.K, did a very funny episode in his series, "Louie" describing this which was quite funny.
Being invisible is all part of aging but I accept it begrudgingly.
The young people I meet are respectful and considerate, something I didn't expect.
I can remember thinking 30 years old was the end of the world !

Old 01-11-2016, 02:46 AM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
I don't think so. I never was rude to elders. Now that I'm visibly not a "young person" anymore in my 30s, I find that people in their teens and 20s treat me pretty respectfully. Sometimes too much; they make me feel "old." At least that's the case in my area.

Yeah, younger teens can be punks. Middle school and High school kids can be pretty annoying... but then I can still remember that I was the same way.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Is the 20 and 30-something generations More Rude to Seniors than Previous Generations??

As a certified senior, I can report with confidence:

Nope

But just to give a nod to my curmudgeonly peers:

Kids these days!

Old 01-11-2016, 06:42 AM

45 posts, read 40,320 times
I love the young of today they are so nice and helpful and polite. One day I took my elderly mother to the dollar store and a group of young people were standing around, I dropped mom off and went to park. She couldn't make it up the little ramp but motioned to the young people to help and one came and she held on to him to get up the ramp. They are always like that as far as I can see. When you arrive at their house they will come offer to carry things for you if you are very old. I am 67 now and for 10 years at least they have been helping me. I will arrive at my brother's and say I have a card table and chairs in my truck and need help and all the younger people come help. They will also hold your arm if you are doing stairs that are icy. Even if they don't know you just ask.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:55 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Realizing that our responses are based on what each of us 'thinks'. . . my thinking is based on observations that many younger individuals today aren't interested in the 'senior' group.

When I was younger (in the 50s) many of us were quite interested in what life was like for our grandparents during their growing up years.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I don't think it's worse now than it ever was. There are probably certain groups of young people that are disrespectful, but there have always been those people.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:50 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I question the premise.

I don't think young people should be expected to "respect" (which in many conversations seems to equate to some kind of deference) older people any more than they should respect anyone else. In short, people should be considerate of other people, regardless of age. Certainly in my online life I am much more likely to see older people speaking disrespectfully about and criticizing younger people than the reverse. It's as though being older means that you are entitled to be treated better and have your opinions valued more than younger people.

Oh, and my age is 62.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:35 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Yes. They don't even know to hold the door or give up their seat to an elderly person on the bus because their noses are in their smartphones. And I'm saying this as someone in their 30's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates