Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I agree about the "blind absolutes" of previous generations. And about the window dressing.

The biggest thing I see now is the intermingling of generations. Its not as unusual nowadays for a 50yo to hang out with a 30yo for example. I think this comes from almost all generations now being on social media and also the "friendship parenting style" that so many parents practice today. (i.e, trying to be your kids' "friend" as opposed to being their "parent.)

So all age groups are intermingling and becoming peers of each other. I would never have hung out with someone 10 or more years older than me until I was probably in my 30s. (Is it a coincidence that this is when i got a Facebook account?) I just didn't grow up that way and neither did my peers.

On the flip side, I was personally extremely "respectful" to elders in words and actions. They were on a pedestal and "above me."

Maybe it is one or the other? If you think of someone being your "peer" or "friend" then you probably won't give them any more respect than you do of people your own age. If you see someone as being in a different "class" such as age, then you might treat them differently.
I honestly think it can be both unless they are your boss. My parents were never really "the cool parents", they were just mom and dad to me and my brother. Nowadays I find it more relatible with my dad because we share interests in food, football and movies that we didn't ten years ago. I always hung out with people older than me or younger than me, I never really related with people my age. I am mature despite having childlike interests. I also don't try to be truly authoritative, it was never me, I always try to understand the problem instead.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:12 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,224,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Thread point proven.
So what was proven?? Just because a person is old does not mean a person should jump up and give them a seat. If a person is sickly or unsteady on their feet sure that would be the nice thing to do. Just because they are old does not mean they need to be catered to. I am "old" and still get around fine.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
So what was proven?? Just because a person is old does not mean a person should jump up and give them a seat. If a person is sickly or unsteady on their feet sure that would be the nice thing to do. Just because they are old does not mean they need to be catered to. I am "old" and still get around fine.
I rarely give up a seat on a bus, bench, etc. because I do have feet problems myself. Not that I an disrespectful or anything like that

Old 01-13-2016, 08:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,221,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't really care if they are ruder. Manners have deteriorated for Americans of ALL ages, so why would they be any different? Young people learn through observation more than anything. If their parents are clods, they will be even worse. If you doubt this, read some information about how wedding guests or funeral attendees behave these days. If they are criticized the response is, "I'm free. I can do what I want." Yes, you can, but people will think poorly of you for how crude you are.

There are two other curious things I've noticed about millennials, however. 1.) They are surprisingly lacking in curiosity. I guess people who were raised with Google think they can look up anything, so have no interest in talking to people who might have first-hand information about various subjects. 2.) They don't give compliments. I don't even hear them do it to their peers, let alone older people. For example, they might say when John is not present, "John has a really great car." When I ask, "Have you told John how much you like his car," the answer will be "no." My aunt walks out the door and a young person will say, "She always wears the most beautiful jewelry." Do they ever tell her that? No. I could give you hundreds of examples. I think they are so insecure about their own social status that they are unwilling to let another know they are superior in any way, no matter how minor. And it becomes habitual.
The irony of calling someone insecure. You must need to be complimented all of the time. I'm actually impressed that there hasn't been more millennial bashing on this thread and that people can look at others as individuals and not group them all together on the basis of age or anything else.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:53 AM

50,942 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
While they were very rude kids you obviously went out of your way to start a problem with them.
Their being rude to the cashier was between them and the cashier and/or store manager NOT YOU>
That was my thought, too.

Being polite is important, but so is minding one's own business. There was a manager in that store, and if anything needed to be done, he or she should have done it.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:03 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,224,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That was my thought, too.

Being polite is important, but so is minding one's own business. There was a manager in that store, and if anything needed to be done, he or she should have done it.
Exactly

Old 01-13-2016, 11:07 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,559,118 times
This is fun reading - historical complaints about young people by old people.

here is one from 1790:

The free access which many young people have to romances, novels, and plays has poisoned the mind and corrupted the morals of many a promising youth; and prevented others from improving their minds in useful knowledge. Parents take care to feed their children with wholesome diet; and yet how unconcerned about the provision for the mind, whether they are furnished with salutary food, or with trash, chaff, or poison?

or 1904

Never has youth been exposed to such dangers of both perversion and arrest as in our own land and day. Increasing urban life with its temptations, prematurities, sedentary occupations, and passive stimuli just when an active life is most needed, early emancipation and a lessening sense for both duty and discipline, the haste to know and do all befitting man's estate before its time, the mad rush for sudden wealth and the reckless fashions set by its gilded youth--all these lack some of the regulatives they still have in older lands with more conservative conditions.

15 Historical Complaints About Young People Ruining Everything | Mental Floss

Old 01-16-2016, 09:16 AM

957 posts, read 1,135,653 times
Most youngsters just don't care of older people and manners because they are self focused and think of them as useless (both elderly and etiquette)

that's why they don't greet, don't look at you in the eyes etc, it's not they're mean or worse than youngsters from say the 80s

Old 01-16-2016, 09:53 AM

50,942 posts, read 24,450,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
Most youngsters just don't care of older people and manners because they are self focused and think of them as useless (both elderly and etiquette)

that's why they don't greet, don't look at you in the eyes etc, it's not they're mean or worse than youngsters from say the 80s
I think the opposite is just as true.

In general, older people (and I am 66) are rather dismissive of young people and think of them as rather useless. And, I don't see my friends as even trying to be friendly to young people. I'm a little different, but that's only because I worked in education my whole life, and know that there are substantive young people out there.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:01 PM

83 posts, read 57,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't really care if they are ruder. Manners have deteriorated for Americans of ALL ages, so why would they be any different? Young people learn through observation more than anything. If their parents are clods, they will be even worse. If you doubt this, read some information about how wedding guests or funeral attendees behave these days. If they are criticized the response is, "I'm free. I can do what I want." Yes, you can, but people will think poorly of you for how crude you are.

There are two other curious things I've noticed about millennials, however. 1.) They are surprisingly lacking in curiosity. I guess people who were raised with Google think they can look up anything, so have no interest in talking to people who might have first-hand information about various subjects. 2.) They don't give compliments. I don't even hear them do it to their peers, let alone older people. For example, they might say when John is not present, "John has a really great car." When I ask, "Have you told John how much you like his car," the answer will be "no." My aunt walks out the door and a young person will say, "She always wears the most beautiful jewelry." Do they ever tell her that? No. I could give you hundreds of examples. I think they are so insecure about their own social status that they are unwilling to let another know they are superior in any way, no matter how minor. And it becomes habitual.
As I said in another topic somewhat related to this, what "problems" older people see from "millennial" is far more of a younger millennial thing. The oldest ones such as myself I have noticed behave far better and by and large don't have these weird annoying quirks and issues. One reason if I were single I would only ever date older millennial women or like my fiance, a gen x woman. I can't stand most of the younger ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates