Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 11:43 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Actually, that is not true for most folks. Most folks do not resent the poor, or want to deny them pleasures, or want them to look poor. They have no problem with the poor having whatever pleasures or luxuries they like, as long as they pay for them themselves.

The problem people have is that they pay a lot of money to help folks have enough to eat and to be able to feed their kids, and go to the doctor and get medicine. Because we are told that without us contributing that money, those poor folks would starve, and their kids would starve. The social safety net is there, and paid for by tax payers, so that people don't starve, or go homeless, or freeze to death in the winter, or die from some ailment that could be easily treated.

But then you see someone who is receiving money from the social safety net who appears to have plenty of money to spend on cigarettes or other luxuries. And the question becomes, why am I giving you money for food, when you have money for food, you're just spending it on cigarettes or a phone instead? That's not cool, please give me my money back, and use your own money for your own food. THAT'S the feeling that people have. Not resentment for being poor. Just "if you have enough money for those things, you need to give me MY money back, and use your own for your necessities".

And then the poor say no, they deserve to be able to take your money to buy their food, so that they can get cigarettes or a phone, because "it's not your money anymore, it's mine" or "I deserve some pleasure because poverty sucks" or "you just don't like me because I don't look poor". That's ridiculous. If you don't need my money to keep you and your kids ALIVE, then I want it back, and that's all there is to it, thank you. You can buy your cigarettes all you want, but I shouldn't pay for them.
This is just a restatement of what you said you don't believe: people who can't afford to feed and clothe themselves shouldn't have any joy. You're saying a person on food stamps shouldn't spend a single penny on anything but food and shelter. Buy a penny whistle for their son? Kick those moochers off welfare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 12:15 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,761,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sorry, but I don't buy it. I think some people make a sport out of trying to observe the poor buying 'luxuries' so that they can embark on their nasty little rants. Anyone who feels that way should also be indignant about anyone buying cigarettes, sugary drinks and fatty foods because ultimately we all pay for those decisions through higher health care costs. And they should be outraged over their neighbor buying a boat because that kind of extravagance could ultimately lead to the economic downfall of that family and omg they might end up on food stamps..

Yes, there is a small number of people who make it a sport to be nasty about poor people. There is the same small number of people who make it a sport to be nasty about rich people. Some people make it a sport to be nasty about people who are nasty about poor and rich people. Some people are just nasty.

MOST folks are not nasty, and just want to keep more of their own money. Taxes are expensive. Please don't generalize all tax-payers as nasty poor people haters. They aren't. They just want to keep more of their own money. That's all.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
This is just a restatement of what you said you don't believe: people who can't afford to feed and clothe themselves shouldn't have any joy. You're saying a person on food stamps shouldn't spend a single penny on anything but food and shelter. Buy a penny whistle for their son? Kick those moochers off welfare!

They can have all the joy and penny whistles they want, on their own dime. If they can't afford it now, they can't have it now. They should work to change their situation, and get it next time, when they can afford it.

That's what I teach my kids, and it works for grown ups too.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
This is just a restatement of what you said you don't believe: people who can't afford to feed and clothe themselves shouldn't have any joy.

Let me say more on this.

Joy is a luxury that is earned through hard work.

The Declaration of Independence declares that all people have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The PURSUIT of happiness. Everyone has the right to PURSUE joy. Not "everyone has the right to joy". Everyone has the right to try and lawfully earn money to buy things that bring them joy, like pennywhistles and birthday cakes.

But they don't have the right to those things automatically. Only the right to earn them, fair and square.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:27 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Also, since you bring up health care costs, the fact is that so many people having FREE medical care is part of what drives up health care and insurance premiums for those of us who pay for our health care out of our earnings. Again, I realize that is not the ONLY reason healthcare and insurance premiums are so high, but it is part of the reason.
That's not true, the cost of treating the uninsured in emergency rooms when simple chronic conditions have become life threatening costs far more than providing them with health care. Not to mention the collateral issues of; the working poor becoming too ill to work and resort to public assistance, the spread of contagious disease by children and adults due to lack of immunizations and treatment for illness, not to mention the 576 billion dollar loss to business caused by employees calling in sick

Old 02-02-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Let me say more on this. Joy is a luxury that is earned through hard work.
The Declaration of Independence declares that all people have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The PURSUIT of happiness. Everyone has the right to PURSUE joy. Not "everyone has the right to joy". Everyone has the right to try and lawfully earn money to buy things that bring them joy, like pennywhistles and birthday cakes. But they don't have the right to those things automatically. Only the right to earn them, fair and square.
Like I said there seem to be some people who find their "joy" in trying to figure out how to make sure the poor are absolutely miserable, and you seem to be one of them.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is a small number of people who make it a sport to be nasty about poor people. There is the same small number of people who make it a sport to be nasty about rich people. Some people make it a sport to be nasty about people who are nasty about poor and rich people. Some people are just nasty. MOST folks are not nasty, and just want to keep more of their own money. Taxes are expensive. Please don't generalize all tax-payers as nasty poor people haters. They aren't. They just want to keep more of their own money. That's all.
If you really gave a crap about how YOUR money is being spent, then why aren't you outraged over the 615 billion spent on defense spending? Do we really need a military that costs us more than the next 8 largest nations combined? I'd rather give a kid a penny whistle than throw money down the toilet like we are doing with defense:

Old 02-02-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Like I said there seem to be some people who find their "joy" in trying to figure out how to make sure the poor are absolutely miserable, and you seem to be one of them.

If you knew me in real life, you would be ashamed of that statement. Many poor (and formerly poor) people I know in real life would heartily disagree with you.

Poor people aren't brought joy by being tossed a nickel. Poor people are brought joy when someone takes the time and effort to "teach them how to fish", and then they are able to make something out of themselves. People are brought joy when they have strived, accomplished, and feel proud.

There seem to be some people who want to keep people down begging for handouts because they believe poor people can only ever be beggers. You seem to be one of them.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
If you really gave a crap about how YOUR money is being spent, then why aren't you outraged over the 615 billion spent on defense spending? Do we really need a military that costs us more than the next 8 largest nations combined? I'd rather give a kid a penny whistle than throw money down the toilet like we are doing with defense:

Because I have done my research, know my math, and know that the amount of money we spend on defense is actually much smaller than the amount of money we spend on handouts. I am also very familiar with all the cuts that defense took recently, while handouts grew. I also posted a quick summary of my research with real numbers on this thread earlier, which you may have missed.

You can't trick me with propaganda. I've seen the actual spending numbers and know how to use excel. Sorry.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Oh, and one other thing.

If we get into a war with the next 8 largest nations combined, I also want to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates