Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 12:18 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,761,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why would you include ACA subsidies but not include child care credits and all other tax credits? ACA subsidies aren't even available to the very poor, you have to earn 133% of the poverty level to qualify. Medicaid spending in 2015 was 301 billion so, 301 billion + 366.5 billion =667.5 billion.

The GA number does include child care credits and other tax credits associated with governmental assistance to the poor. Go to www.usgovernmentspending.com and read the line items under "Welfare" for 2015 spending.

And ACA subsidies are governmental assistance to the poor. The very poor get Medicaid, and the slightly less poor get ACA subsidies. In other words, the very poor get all of their medical care paid for by Government Assistance, and the slightly less poor only get a portion of their medical care paid for by Government Assistance. GA is still GA, even if people receiving it are 133% of the poverty line instead of below it. People qualify for WIC over the poverty line, and other programs. The poverty line does not define GA. The part where the government hands out free money to poor folks to help them pay for necessities is what defines GA.

Also, you read the wrong column from the CBO spending detail that you linked. It says that Medicaid spending in 2014 was 301 billion. It says that Medicaid spending in 2015 was 343 billion.

I stand by my original number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I actually think it should be expanded, with an additional stipend good only for fresh fruits and vegetables.

I think this is a great idea, as long as you pay for it, personally, with your own money that you earned. Or if you like you can go to kickstarter and crowd source it. However you like. I'll even put in $20.

The Federal Government, however, cannot afford the program as it is, and has to make cuts in order to be able to keep offering it at all. If you keep expanding GA and expect the government to pay for it, you will essentially kill GA 20 years down the line.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:24 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
And ACA subsidies are governmental assistance to the poor. The very poor get Medicaid, and the slightly less poor get ACA subsidies. In other words, the very poor get all of their medical care paid for by Government Assistance, and the slightly less poor only get a portion of their medical care paid for by Government Assistance. GA is still GA, even if people receiving it are 133% of the poverty line instead of below it.
People who earn up to 90k get ACA subsidies which is why it is unrelated to welfare which most people agree are programs that provide assistance to the very poor. We could play with the numbers all day and no one would win, the simple fact is that you and I have a fundamental difference in how we perceive what is and what is not welfare.
Quote:
Also, you read the wrong column from the CBO spending detail that you linked. It says that Medicaid spending in 2014 was 301 billion. It says that Medicaid spending in 2015 was 343 billion.
You're right I did post the wrong figure.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:25 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
I think this is a great idea, as long as you pay for it, personally, with your own money that you earned. Or if you like you can go to kickstarter and crowd source it. However you like.

The Federal Government, however, cannot afford the program as it is, and has to make cuts in order to be able to keep offering it at all. If you keep expanding GA and expect the government to pay for it, you will essentially kill GA 20 years down the line.
We should combine your ideas with a 100% tax on inheritance and ban spending on family members. Wouldn't want some lazy children receiving clothes or food or housing they didn't earn, after all.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
We should combine your ideas with a 100% tax on inheritance and ban spending on family members. Wouldn't want some lazy children receiving clothes or food or housing they didn't earn, after all.
Exactly! And only allow the federal deduction for mortgage interest to those earning over 100k because otherwise it's a handout to the feckless poor

Old 02-03-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
People who earn up to 90k get ACA subsidies which is why it is unrelated to welfare which most people agree are programs that provide assistance to the very poor. We could play with the numbers all day and no one would win, the simple fact is that you and I have a fundamental difference in how we perceive what is and what is not welfare.
You're right I did post the wrong figure.
When the government hands out free money, it's a handout.

When the government hands out free money but it's means tested, it's Government Assistance.

When the government hands out actual cash as part of the TANF program, it's Welfare, in the specific sense.

ACA subsidies are plain and simple government assistance. The government gives money to people who cannot afford health insurance by themselves. To help them pay for it. I don't understand how that's not GA. What does it matter that the threshold for this type of GA is high? It's means tested, and only those that the government deems "poor enough" gets it. That's GA. You don't get to decide GA is not GA because "those people aren't as poor as the other poor people". That's just... ridiculous.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post

That is uncharitable and uncompassionate. Children cannot fend for themselves, they cannot earn money. I am glad to contribute my money that I earned to help feed, clothe, and house children. True, the children did not "earn" it, but I would freely give it to them, as much as I can, because I have compassion.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Exactly! And only allow the federal deduction for mortgage interest to those earning over 100k because otherwise it's a handout to the feckless poor
You're just trying to make mean comments to get a rise out of me.

The current federal deduction for mortgage interest is a handout. Well sorta, because it's a deduction and not a credit, but essentially, it's a handout. But as it is not means tested, it is not Government Assistance. Just a plain old handout.

I do think the federal deduction for mortgage interest should be done away with. But phased out, slowly and gradually, with lots of warning, so that people can adjust their budgets and not get too hurt by it. But I agree that the handout is unnecessary, if that's the point you were trying to make behind your sarcasm.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
When the government hands out free money, it's a handout. When the government hands out free money but it's means tested, it's Government Assistance.When the government hands out actual cash as part of the TANF program, it's Welfare, in the specific sense.ACA subsidies are plain and simple government assistance. The government gives money to people who cannot afford health insurance by themselves. To help them pay for it. I don't understand how that's not GA. What does it matter that the threshold for this type of GA is high? It's means tested, and only those that the government deems "poor enough" gets it. That's GA. You don't get to decide GA is not GA because "those people aren't as poor as the other poor people". That's just... ridiculous.
Free money? You mean like the free money you realize when you pay lower income tax, or receive a credit for things like:

charitable contributions
medical expenses
sales tax paid
mortgage interest deduction
business expenses
lower tax rate on long term capital gains
lifetime learning credit
residential energy credit
etc ad nauseum

Old 02-03-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Free money? You mean like the free money you realize when you pay lower income tax, or receive a credit for things like:

charitable contributions
medical expenses
sales tax paid
mortgage interest deduction
business expenses
lower tax rate on long term capital gains
lifetime learning credit
residential energy credit
etc ad nauseum

Okay, if you want to get technical about it, deductions technically aren't "handouts", they are identification of portions of income not considered taxable. Kinda like how in many places, food at grocery stores is exempt from sales tax. They are "reductions in how much you are expected to contribute".

But credits? Lifetime learning credit, residential energy credit? Yes, they are handouts, by definition. Why do you ask?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates