Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 03:56 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,915,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
If all you have is SNAP and TANF, then your aren't on disability, which means you can work.
All I have is SNAP and I currently am awaiting a decision on disability. At this point, I may be denied state disability while waiting for a decision on federal disability. I would be technically not classed as disabled because I had been turned down by the state and not yet approved for federal disability, yet I still wouldn't be able to physically work.

I think some of the biggest problems with any kind of aid is there are so many circumstances and so many reasons to need that aid, that no department could ever keep up with them. It's easier and more cost effective to just make a blanket rule and go by that, and keep the exceptions to an absolute minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Originally Posted by pkbab5

Yes of course it is his money once it left my hand, and he can do what he wants with it, no strings attached. That's not the issue. The issue is that when he comes back looking for a spot on my couch, and I say no, that I am now the cold hearted unfeeling witch that just wants him to be homeless. He blames me for his troubles, even though it's his own decisions that led to him being homeless, not my lack of generosity. He is forever the victim, and I am forever the perpetrator, in his eyes. That's the point.

Oh, and I routinely attempt to try and buy actual food for panhandlers. I don't carry cash, only credit, so whenever someone asks me for money to feed their hungry pregnant wife at home, I immediately offer to buy them food at the closest place I can (usually a gas station convenience store or food truck). I even ask them what they want to eat, and order what they asked for. Every time I go buy the food, the panhandler leaves. Every. Single. Time. Once I even bought diapers for the panhandler's "brand new baby". Guy was no where to be seen. Had to take them down to the local daycare.

Done this at least 20 times, still haven't fed a single "hungry" person. I keep doing it, just in case, but I'm pretty darn sure humanity is not going to live up to my expectations any time soon.
I didn't mean you specifically with panhandlers, but just in the general sense where I see a lot of people get upset because they give money to a panhandler and then get upset when he doesn't use it the way they like.

I personally have no problem saying no to people. If you give your money to someone and they use it for something other than what you expected them to use it for, all you can do is shrug and walk away. But if that person came back to you for more money or a helping hand, I would have no problem with you telling them no. I would do it myself.

This is directed to everyone: When I give a couple dollars to a panhandler, I just do it with the expectation that they can do what they want with it. If the guy wants to buy a candy bar or cigarettes, I'm OK with that. Whatever makes life easier. I understand I may be enabling them, but seriously, we didn't do any reforming of the banks after the crash of 2008 and we sent no one to jail, so on a larger scale, aren't we also enabling the bankers to not change anything either? Every time we shop at Walmart, aren't we enabling them and saying it's OK to pay their employees low wages because the government will give them food stamps and welfare? I guess what I'm saying is that we do so much enabling of the larger corporations and institutions in our lives, that giving a panhandler a few bucks and "enabling" him to continue panhandling isn't that big of a deal for me.

Besides, I know darn good and well that however much money a panhandler makes for whatever reason, there's no way I'm going to offer to change positions with him or do the same thing. If a panhandler wants to put up with the weather, the nasty attitudes towards him, the humiliation, and everything else for the money he gets, then so be it, as far as I'm concerned. That's his call. I'm all for making things better for people, but if someone doesn't want the help, there's not a great deal I or anyone else can do. In the meantime, I refuse to look down on these people anymore than I would look down on someone working in McDonald's or someone running a Fortune 500 company.

I don't mind people giving money to panhandlers; just be aware of what it is you're giving them (it's not always food money), and don't get your bowels in an uproar at how they use your money. Keeping this attitude in mind will let everyone sleep a lot better at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:31 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,919,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Welfare stores are the crazy idea in today's world.

Reasons:

They have been used in the past back in the 30s depression. Were not satisfactory then and would not be now.

The cost to set these stores up, stock and run them, would cost a tremendous amount more than it costs for today's welfare program. Any cheating done under today's plan, would be insignificant compared to the cost to operate the welfare stores you suggest.

Only someone that knows nothing about cost to set up, stock, and run such a store would ever suggest such a thing.

If we figure you would need one of the welfare stores for each zip code in the United states to make them available to all people on welfare. You have to remember that the people on welfare do not all have cars to take to the store, and a big share of the places do not have a buss they can take, so it may take more than 1 store in some zip codes. That would be over 43,000 plus welfare stores. Can you imagine how much it would cost to build or lease that many welfare store buildings, and the amount of money would be required to stock them. We are talking many, many billions of dollars just to set it up. They chose the current system as it is far, far cheaper to operate than welfare stores.
Sometimes other things are more important than money though. To me it would be worth it to shop without those people around. Certainly quieter. Have you ever been a customer or employee of Squalmart on the 1st of the month ??? It's horrible. The mass majority of welfare recipients are loud as eff, have loud kids, treat the store as a garbage dump, destroy merchandise AND treat the workers as beneath them. Eff that. Build the stores.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post

It's hard to take you seriously when you use terms like "messy piggish buggers" and "native habitat" unironically.
Why ? The facts & observations remain the same regardless of my commentary.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:06 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Sometimes other things are more important than money though. To me it would be worth it to shop without those people around. Certainly quieter. Have you ever been a customer or employee of Squalmart on the 1st of the month ??? It's horrible. The mass majority of welfare recipients are loud as eff, have loud kids, treat the store as a garbage dump, destroy merchandise AND treat the workers as beneath them. Eff that. Build the stores.
I'm not sure how you know that all of the people in Walmart who offend you are on welfare...

Old 02-10-2016, 02:53 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,764,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I personally have no problem saying no to people. If you give your money to someone and they use it for something other than what you expected them to use it for, all you can do is shrug and walk away. But if that person came back to you for more money or a helping hand, I would have no problem with you telling them no. I would do it myself.

All righty then, I will follow your lead. I have no problem with food stamps, with regulations to make sure you can only spend it on food. But if you want to change food stamps into just cash, then I say No.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure how you know that all of the people in Walmart who offend you are on welfare...
My mother cashiered (I worked in bakery) and confirmed that roughly 85 percent were indeed on either food stamps, welfare or both. Our Squalmart was on the ghetto side of town.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:55 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,044,580 times
Quote:
My mother cashiered (I worked in bakery) and confirmed that roughly 85 percent were indeed on either food stamps, welfare or both. Our Squalmart was on the ghetto side of town.
Wow. I have to say that Walmart has never hired the cream of the crop. I may have collected food stamps but I can guarantee that I have never acted like trash or that I am from the ghetto. My kids are extremely polite and well behaved. I will even say most people never would have even guessed that I had food stamps.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:26 PM

They hired the cream this time and took full advantage actually. Where else can you get people with college degrees whose good jobs were outsourced ? Squalmart, of course !
My mother ALSO had to endure you people calling her a "slave" and other derogatory names. Don't like generalizations made about your brethren ? You might try taking your snarkiness and campaigning your group to be better behaved in Public when spending taxpayer dollars.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:49 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,044,580 times
Quote:
They hired the cream this time and took full advantage actually. Where else can you get people with college degrees whose good jobs were outsourced ? Squalmart, of course !
My mother ALSO had to endure you people calling her a "slave" and other derogatory names. Don't like generalizations made about your brethren ? You might try taking your snarkiness and campaigning your group to be better behaved in Public when spending taxpayer dollars.
Nope, they did not and you have just proven it with this statement.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Nope, they did not and you have just proven it with this statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates