Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 12:55 AM

8,247 posts, read 3,502,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What's to stop the Welfare Store from running like a company store, e.g. overly high prices?
It also prevents shopping around for the cheapest prices. I shop sales currently and sometimes manage to get groceries for very cheap. I recently, for example, got a free jug of milk with purchase of 4 boxes of cereal during a sale and after coupons got the four boxes of cereal and the jug of milk for $6.75. Sometimes that store has tuna on sale for 50 cents a can and I stock up. A "welfare store" would likely price things much higher than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Sometimes other things are more important than money though. To me it would be worth it to shop without those people around. Certainly quieter. Have you ever been a customer or employee of Squalmart on the 1st of the month ??? It's horrible. The mass majority of welfare recipients are loud as eff, have loud kids, treat the store as a garbage dump, destroy merchandise AND treat the workers as beneath them. Eff that. Build the stores.
Wow. So, "those people" are so beneath you that you want the government to segregate them and have them 'shop' in a special store so that you don't have to shop in the same store with them. Nice.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:44 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,850,221 times
We get food stamps. Our family of 5 gets under $250. Its not pretty or fun. We add $175 of our own money to that to try and make up the difference. We also go to a food pantry.

People have this weird idea that people on welfare/food stamps do nothing but sit at home with no job and big screen tvs eating pizza and drinking beer talking on their IPhone.
They forget about the family who DO work normal 9-5 jobs and dont have a big screen tv, iphone, make homemade pizza and dont drink pop. They pay into the same system you do.

Now i will say there are people who abuse it, the store is crazy the first 10 days of the month. Not all of us do and we shouldnt all be lumped together.

Lets talk about the caseworkers who have NO idea what they are doing rather than the people who get them. I had to FIGHT and wait for our foodstamps last review ( every 6mo). They got our income wrong, enough to say we didnt qualify at all and made almost $3000/mnth, yes even with paystubs we gave them. I finally got it straightened out but IF she had done her job and paid attention, it was all right in front of her- basic addition facts.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
$30 dollars a week for food? That's the SNAP amount?
No, its based off your income, family size and discounts for housing/electric.

Here in Ohio, a single non working person gets $200/mnth. We are a family of 5, making just over $2000/mnth and get just under $250/mnth. If my husband is unemployed, we get almost $700. Then theres everything inbetween. We averaged about $400-$500/mnth.

It is a crazy math formula they use that really doesnt make sense.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
We get food stamps. Our family of 5 gets under $250. Its not pretty or fun. We add $175 of our own money to that to try and make up the difference. We also go to a food pantry.

People have this weird idea that people on welfare/food stamps do nothing but sit at home with no job and big screen tvs eating pizza and drinking beer talking on their IPhone.
They forget about the family who DO work normal 9-5 jobs and dont have a big screen tv, iphone, make homemade pizza and dont drink pop. They pay into the same system you do.

Now i will say there are people who abuse it, the store is crazy the first 10 days of the month. Not all of us do and we shouldnt all be lumped together.

Lets talk about the caseworkers who have NO idea what they are doing rather than the people who get them. I had to FIGHT and wait for our foodstamps last review ( every 6mo). They got our income wrong, enough to say we didnt qualify at all and made almost $3000/mnth, yes even with paystubs we gave them. I finally got it straightened out but IF she had done her job and paid attention, it was all right in front of her- basic addition facts.
Years ago I got cut off because the caseworker "forgot" to work the recertification case. I had to sit in the office for several hours to talk to someone about it. The caseworker literally said she forgot. When I was there most of the people waiting also wrongly were cut off for similar reasons. One woman was even there in her work uniform because the woman's day care had called her at work to inform her that the child care assistance was cut off. The welfare office had lost all of her recertification documents and cut her off. The woman had to sit there all day before anyone would even speak to her about it, which of course endangered her job. I have no idea what happened.

Then another time they had put me down for income I didn't have and only have me set to receive $16/month in food stamps. Months later the error was discovered, but they didn't go back and issue what I should have received. Which is a double standard. If they discover I received some I wasn't supposed to then I'd be made to pay it back. After they fixed it though I was receiving I think it was $126/month or something like that. Big difference. I was going to the food bank until it got fixed because that little bit they issued me didn't go far. I think I was getting $652 or something in disability at the time. Whatever it was in 2012. And my rent was $450 and the utilities ran around $100/month just for the electric. Then I had to pay for water.

I lost count of the number of times they "lost" paperwork I turned in over the years. They lose a lot of paperwork.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:52 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,775,678 times
I think food banks or combo of food banks and half food stamps would be better.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:06 PM

32,947 posts, read 36,405,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I think food banks or combo of food banks and half food stamps would be better.
Have you ever been to a food bank?

Old 05-02-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Have you ever been to a food bank?
I agree. They are a mixed bag. There are good ones that give clothing and toilet paper even...then there are those that give a box of canned goods and say "see ya later". You cant be thankful for junk.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I agree. They are a mixed bag. There are good ones that give clothing and toilet paper even...then there are those that give a box of canned goods and say "see ya later". You cant be thankful for junk.
The one here often has mostly rotted produce and bulging cans.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
The one here often has mostly rotted produce and bulging cans.
The main one here in town is like that. Eeek, dont go unless you have no other choice! The one we go to is nice. It has a clothing and household area and food. They have it set up like a mini store. They tell you how many of each group you can get and you pick the items. Its donated things from Fresh Thyme, Kroger, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates