Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 12:18 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,855,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

And you can buy steak and lobster, so I'm not sure what you mean, and I don't have an issue with it. I have paid less for steak than I have for fish many times. IMO it's no ones business what you buy. I think we should get rid of the food stamp program and just give people an equivalent amount of cash.
The steak and lobster was a joke since many in this thread ( and other threads on this topic) say we arent allowed to buy a steak because they cant/wont.

I like the card rather than cash. The card keeps you accountable and is much easier to track than cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,764,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I like the way Canada does it. We just give the welfare cases MONEY. You know, that stuff you use to buy things with. If they buy booze, drugs or whatever, it's their problem, ... N' est ce pas!
If they have kids that might have eaten had they been given food stamps instead of cash, but now they are hungry with a strung out parent, is that also "not your problem?"

Old 05-09-2016, 06:30 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
If they have kids that might have eaten had they been given food stamps instead of cash, but now they are hungry with a strung out parent, is that also "not your problem?"
What happens to people who don't get food stamps and don't feed their kids? It happens every day. That is why we have children's protective services. A kid who is under or malnourished is reported by friends, family or the school and CPS intervenes and places the kid elsewhere if necessary. Food stamps has nothing to do with bad parenting, that's another issue entirely

Old 05-09-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
That is why we have children's protective services. A kid who is under or malnourished is reported by friends, family or the school and CPS intervenes and places the kid elsewhere if necessary.
Not that easy.

and CPS would give the family food stamps if they qualified IF the issue was that they couldnt afford food. If the child has a medical condition where they are malnourished, CPS does nothing. (Such as Celiac, Failure To Thrive, etc).

Old 05-09-2016, 07:04 PM

42,867 posts, read 26,361,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Not that easy. and CPS would give the family food stamps if they qualified IF the issue was that they couldnt afford food. If the child has a medical condition where they are malnourished, CPS does nothing. (Such as Celiac, Failure To Thrive, etc).
That makes no sense, I am talking about a family who is not SNAP eligible and fails to feed their kids, that happens quite a bit, bad parenting is not limited to aid recipients.

And I'm sorry that CPS does nothing where you live but they are quite proactive in other areas, particularly when the school calls and reports a hungry, malnourished child.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:12 PM

17,374 posts, read 22,137,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post

SOME OF US CAN'T! WE'RE DISABLED. I CANNOT WORK. NO, CAN'T DOES NOT MEAN WON'T. CAN'T MEANS CAN'T. I. CANNOT. WORK. I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO WORK AGAIN.

I have a friend who is disabled. He fishes offshore on his boat, plays golf, does outside labor jobs for cash and collects $1090 a month for his disability. He claims the pain/tingling comes/goes but if he works full time it will be tougher to get back on disability.

UNDERSTAND NOT EVERYONE IS NOT REALLY DISABLED?

Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense, I am talking about a family who is not SNAP eligible and fails to feed their kids, that happens quite a bit, bad parenting is not limited to aid recipients.

And I'm sorry that CPS does nothing where you live but they are quite proactive in other areas, particularly when the school calls and reports a hungry, malnourished child.
if they are not snap eligible then CPS doesnt give them money- they point them towards a job program and say GET A JOB.

and if a school reports a child hungry and malnourished, CPS will look into it but they dont swoop in and take the child with guns blazing. They dont come in your house raid style looking in your fridge.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:04 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,920,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I know people did it for drugs, rent was the last thing on their minds. ( In my experience). Dont you know by now, we are not allowed steak or lobster!?

I think i should give a realistic list of what a normal family buys on food stamps, maybe then people would finally listen!

No, they wouldn't. Some people have it in their head that people on food stamps are living high on the hog and buy expensive stuff that they shouldn't be 'allowed'. I know you are being sarcastic about the steak and lobster but that's what a lot of people think food stamps go for. As a cashier I SEE what they buy and, for the most part, they are just as frugal and thoughtful about it as anyone else. Many of them use coupons and ad match as well, getting more for their money. A lot of our WIC customers do as well. Yes, there ARE people who buy entirely too much soda and junk food but who am I to criticize? So do a lot of other people not on food stamps. I suppose I do question why anybody, on food stamps or not, would opt to buy packages of pre cut and prepped fruits and veggies when it would be so much cheaper to buy bags of them and cut them up themselves. But, again, who am I to judge or criticize and I guess it's a good thing they ARE eating fruits and veggies. They buy a LOT of hamburger and chicken. I rarely ever see steak unless it's a really good sale and it's never the 'good' steak, either round or chuck. And even after six years I have yet to see any of them buy lobster. Fake crab sometimes and fish on sale but not lobster.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:09 PM

323 posts, read 562,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Sounds expensive.

My solution would be to require community service of anyone receiving welfare (except the severely disabled). That should discourage a lot of the deadbeats from requesting welfare.
uhhhmmm....people on welfare already have to do community service.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,920,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyself View Post
uhhhmmm....people on welfare already have to do community service.

I didn't know about that but I know that, here, they have to work and/or go to school, if they are at all able.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates