Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:56 PM

323 posts, read 561,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I didn't know about that but I know that, here, they have to work and/or go to school, if they are at all able.
Yes, "work" programs are often community service...and sometimes it's just straight community service without the work label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 08:12 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
The steak and lobster was a joke since many in this thread ( and other threads on this topic) say we arent allowed to buy a steak because they cant/wont.

I like the card rather than cash. The card keeps you accountable and is much easier to track than cash.
Not a joke:

Old 05-13-2016, 08:15 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyself View Post
uhhhmmm....people on welfare already have to do community service.
Lounging on the couch watching Steve Harvey is not considered community service.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:20 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
if they are not snap eligible then CPS doesnt give them money- they point them towards a job program and say GET A JOB. and if a school reports a child hungry and malnourished, CPS will look into it but they dont swoop in and take the child with guns blazing. They dont come in your house raid style looking in your fridge.
I know that CPS doesn't give out money or food what the heck are you talking about, where did I say they did. I also know that CPS does respond to reports of child abuse/neglect and if it is substantiated they will open a case, they usually work out a plan with the parents and if the conditions don't improve they will take the kids out of the home. Well, maybe not in Texas since they cut 400 million from CPS funding

Old 05-13-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Not a joke:
I'm not saying it doesn't happen, and I'm not claiming you made that receipt but there are several websites that will help you create any fake receipt that you might want.

https://techreviewpro.com/top-free-o...receipts-3988/

Old 05-13-2016, 08:39 PM

323 posts, read 561,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Lounging on the couch watching Steve Harvey is not considered community service.
So this is about the one person that you know that sits home and is a welfare queen and yada yada blah blah BLAH...

right?

If said person is sitting home, there is a reason they gave with valid paperwork to their worker. NO ONE on welfare is otherwise exempt from the VERY MANDATORY work requirement.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:15 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Sigh.

For the 8 millionth time:

1. Food Stamps are not Welfare. Welfare (now called TANF) is practically non-existent and nearly impossible to get unless someone in the household is severely disabled and cannot work.

2. 80-90% (depending on what study you look at) of Food Stamp recipients are working.

3. You need to ask yourself why you think people who are poor need to be punished and humiliated for being poor. The larger problem is with this attitude.
I'm not particularly interested in re-entering this oh-so-rational debate, but I do want to share what some lovely (and I imagine new) poster sent me as a rep comment from this post: "because people who don't make their own way -- unless they are disabled or something like that -- are disgusting"

Tell me, dear friend, how many jobs do you work? Because I am currently working three jobs. THREE. I'm actually looking for a fourth. So if you are blessed and lucky enough to be able to support your self/family on one job and one alone, count your lucky stars because the rest of us are out here working our asses off to scrape by. Nothing disgusting about it.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:24 PM

8,209 posts, read 3,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I'm not particularly interested in re-entering this oh-so-rational debate, but I do want to share what some lovely (and I imagine new) poster sent me as a rep comment from this post: "because people who don't make their own way -- unless they are disabled or something like that -- are disgusting"

Tell me, dear friend, how many jobs do you work? Because I am currently working three jobs. THREE. I'm actually looking for a fourth. So if you are blessed and lucky enough to be able to support your self/family on one job and one alone, count your lucky stars because the rest of us are out here working our asses off to scrape by. Nothing disgusting about it.

You must have ultra lenient bosses, because around here people are lucky to get a PT minimum wage job. And the employers want you to have open availability. So, even if you conceal that you already have one PT job and are lucky to hit the employment lottery and be offered the second job, you're very likely to be scheduled to be at two places at the same time. The schedules are always random so there's no real way to know in advance. You could be scheduled to work 2-11 one evening and 8-3 the next morning. So, how many employers would put up with having you call off one job because you have to work your schedule at the other PT job? Not many and then not for long. It's an employer's market with millions fighting over even a minimum wage job. The employer doesn't have to work around the employee's schedule. The employee has to work whatever the employer schedules.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
You must have ultra lenient bosses, because around here people are lucky to get a PT minimum wage job. And the employers want you to have open availability. So, even if you conceal that you already have one PT job and are lucky to hit the employment lottery and be offered the second job, you're very likely to be scheduled to be at two places at the same time. The schedules are always random so there's no real way to know in advance. You could be scheduled to work 2-11 one evening and 8-3 the next morning. So, how many employers would put up with having you call off one job because you have to work your schedule at the other PT job? Not many and then not for long. It's an employer's market with millions fighting over even a minimum wage job. The employer doesn't have to work around the employee's schedule. The employee has to work whatever the employer schedules.
Exactly which is why I consider these claims about simultaneously having 3 or 4 minimum wage jobs about as silly as all the bootstrapper/ rags to riches anecdotes on these forums

Old 05-14-2016, 03:24 PM

8,209 posts, read 3,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Exactly which is why I consider these claims about simultaneously having 3 or 4 minimum wage jobs about as silly as all the bootstrapper/ rags to riches anecdotes on these forums
People who promote such claims tend to talk out both sides of their mouths. People who are working minimum wage jobs are told that they're just starter jobs for teenagers and that it's their fault for choosing that job. Then those who lost their better paying jobs and are having unemployment running out while not being able to find employment are told by these same types of people that, "McDonald's is always hiring."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates