Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 10:04 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Fair enough, I should have clearified "non-Hispanic whites." Yes, Latino is an ethinicty not a race. But, from a sociological standpoint, Hispancis are considered to be a "minorities" OR "persons of color." While there are many Hispanic people like Charlie Sheen who are functionally white, the reality is that pretty much across the board, people who idenfity as Hispanic/Latino will have on average lower educational, income, wealth measures that whites (generally restricted to non-Hispanic whites).

Examples:
https://cew.georgetown.edu/report/separate-unequal/
Forbes Welcome

Now, yes both of these reports obviously are written through a white privilage perspective and attribute the socio-economic gaps to racism/discrimination. Others may take issue with that and argue other factors like immigration patterns or somewhat nebulous ideas like habits/norms also play a role. But, the fact remans that on average Hispanics have on average lower social economic outcomes than non-Hispanic whites.

Since when has he identified as Hispanic. He is of partial Galican ancestry from the Iberian peninsula. The more I read comments on this forum it is clear that people have no clue what Hispanic, and Latino means in the US. Very very few Europeans in the US or descendendants of European ancestry that arrived directly from Spain identify as Hispanic/Latino in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 12:08 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,289,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Since when has he identified as Hispanic. He is of partial Galican ancestry from the Iberian peninsula. The more I read comments on this forum it is clear that people have no clue what Hispanic, and Latino means in the US. Very very few Europeans in the US or descendendants of European ancestry that arrived directly from Spain identify as Hispanic/Latino in the US.

Ok, replace with Ted Cruz or any other very "white" looking Hispanic from Latin America. The broader point still stands. As of today, Hispanics have lower socio-economic outcomes than non-Hispanic whites on average. My question is do people think these will gradually narrow or not?

Old 02-17-2016, 01:46 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Ok, replace with Ted Cruz or any other very "white" looking Hispanic from Latin America. The broader point still stands. As of today, Hispanics have lower socio-economic outcomes than non-Hispanic whites on average. My question is do people think these will gradually narrow or not?

Yes over time, Hispanics/Latinos that are recent immigrants generally have a strong work ethic.

I am not of Hispanic/Latino ancestry but when I think of those immigrants that have not risen from my own ethnic group I do notice a pattern.

1. They embrace a working class status
2. Undervalue education
3. Often live in ethnic enclaves
4. Fail to learn standardized American English and mannerisms
5. Do not socialize with people outside of their ethnic group
6. Sometimes live in a cultural time wharp(Which would be the decade they immigrated from the host country)

Old 02-18-2016, 12:16 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,902,256 times
The gap between white and hispanic is closing fairly fast not necessarly because of thinning economic polarities but because the two cultures actually have a lot of similarities and finding inter-marriage easy. A strong work ethic combined with a value on family unit, the white/hispanic bridge isn't that big. That, along with the biological fact there are large sections from each side actually physically attracted to each other.

Similarly how the Irish immigrants didn't necessarily rise to the top as a homogenous group but kind of married their way to the top with the British/German settlers already here.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:42 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
From what I know. Whites and Asians put a big priority on education. Education is the key to the best jobs. The Hispanic community, in general, does not put a high value on education, so they will continue to lag behind economically, with Blacks continuing to bring up the rear.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:39 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

As long as Mexicans have been part of the US it's amazing how none of them have launched a Presidential bid where they are the majority of Hispanics in the US whereas Cubans number only about 1 Million nationwide.
Bill Richardson, ex-governor of New Mexico, run for the Democratic bid in 2008. His father is half prototypical white American and half Mexican, his mother is Mexican, and though born in California, Bill lived in Mexico until age 13. http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...c-factor/?_r=0

Then there's this dude, Ben Fernandez, who ran for the Republican bid in 1980 (born of Mexican parents in Kansas): GOP dominates Hispanic Presidential hopefuls of past & present | La Opinión
Marco Rubio, meet 'Boxcar Ben' Fernandez, America's first Latino presidential candidate - LA Times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Fernandez

Essentially, the only bids by 'Hispanics' before Cruz and Rubio were of Mexican descent. So there goes that.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:07 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
They will. Most immigrant groups started off on the bottom. Jews, Irish, Poles, Italians all came over and were at or near the bottom. But they took advantage of opportunity and worked their way up. Hispanics are the same as the other groups.
No, they are not.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:26 PM

426 posts, read 394,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
From what I know. Whites and Asians put a big priority on education. Education is the key to the best jobs. The Hispanic community, in general, does not put a high value on education, so they will continue to lag behind economically, with Blacks continuing to bring up the rear.

I read that Cyban Americans born in the US earn more money than so called angles.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:11 PM

200 posts, read 279,084 times
I feel Hispanics will make their own destiny in this country and assimilation will be a bit different. They dont have any "Jim Crow" kind of laws prohibiting them from obtaining economic power amongst themselves so the sky is the limit. I envision the western part of the country being "mecca".

Old 02-22-2016, 11:14 PM

59 posts, read 65,903 times
Does anyone think the U.S.'s accommodation of the Spanish language has much effect on the economic progress of Latinos?

I don't live in the States so I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject of this thread (though it's fascinating). It just seems to me that back when the bulk of immigrants were coming from Europe, there would have been much more pressure for the migrant generation to become at least passably proficient in English, whereas contemporary Spanish-speaking immigrants are well-serviced in their first language. Almost anything one would need to read in America is available in Spanish, automatically or at least on demand.

Wouldn't this accommodation tend to limit an immigrant family's early economic progress in your country? I should think the ripple effects of this could be quite significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates