Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times

Advertisements

I'd don't know whether he was murdered, but I find the circumstances cause for concern. First, I wonder what is the purpose of his visit? He didn't come with a family member, but we haven't heard why he was there, or who he was there with. Second, the fact that there was no autopsy when this is obviously a sudden unexpected death, and it involves a sitting justice of the Supreme Court. Why not? If I was the family, I'd certainly want to know.

This does have aspects that are parallel to JFK's death. JFK did not have an autopsy by a competent Pathologist, experienced in gunshot wounds, but a Pathologist that hadn't been doing autopsies for years. Scalia just didn't get one at all.

The fact that the MSM just wants to sweep it under the rug and not investigate is also suspicious. This is exactly what the MSM did for JFK's death. Ruby Kills Oswald and its all over, and no questions from the media at all. I remember reading years ago that at one point in the 60's, the CIA had 100 journalists on their payroll.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:48 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
For such an important public figure whose death has momentous consequences for the nation, an autopsy would seem to be of paramount importance. Why would the family refuse?

And I agree with others -- this thread should be moved to "Conspiracy Theories".

Old 02-21-2016, 09:24 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,941,304 times
If there is no reason to suspect foul play - like either a homicide or a suicide, the family has the right to refuse an autoposy. Everyone does know how invasive an autoposy is, right? The medical examiner makes a large Y-shaped incision in the body of the deceased. All the organs are cut out, examined and weighed. The face is actually peeled off, so the ME can use a special type saw to cut off the the top of the skull and remove the brain for weighing and examining also. They put everything back for the funeral, but would you want the remains of your loved one to be treated in such a manner? Many people don't - especially when there's no reason for such extreme procedures. Even though the people who live there sometimes act as if it were, Texas is NOT the twilight zone. I also vote that this thread go into that paranormal (or whatever it is) forum. Let the ghouls there chew over the question.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:34 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
His family did not want an autopsy. We don't know why but I think one would have been a good idea. Could an autopsy have revealed information they didn't want known of his physical and medical condition? It was their choice and if they are happy I think we should be satisfied too.

An autopsy would change nothing. He would still be dead.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:51 PM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
If there is no reason to suspect foul play - like either a homicide or a suicide, the family has the right to refuse an autoposy. Everyone does know how invasive an autoposy is, right? The medical examiner makes a large Y-shaped incision in the body of the deceased. All the organs are cut out, examined and weighed. The face is actually peeled off, so the ME can use a special type saw to cut off the the top of the skull and remove the brain for weighing and examining also. They put everything back for the funeral, but would you want the remains of your loved one to be treated in such a manner? Many people don't - especially when there's no reason for such extreme procedures. Even though the people who live there sometimes act as if it were, Texas is NOT the twilight zone. I also vote that this thread go into that paranormal (or whatever it is) forum. Let the ghouls there chew over the question.

Excellent post and description. Him family is very Catholic. They did not even allow for cremation in that religion until a few decades ago. Many still prefer to keep the body whole.

Unless the family did it. ; )

And a 40 something yo president being shot dead is no comparison to 79 yo obese chief justice male dying peacefully in sleep.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:20 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
While the nation is terribly divided and conspiracies could occur in this tense environment I just don't see it here. It is really logical to assume that a 79 year old obese man likely died of natural causes. Sometimes people are too quick to get out the tin foil hats. The reality we have to live with however is a very ugly political battle about the appointment who will replace him.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:24 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'd don't know whether he was murdered, but I find the circumstances cause for concern. First, I wonder what is the purpose of his visit?

Justice Scalia went to the 30,000-acre Cibolo Creek Ranch in the company of a lawyer friend. They were personal guests of John Poindexter, a very wealthy Houston businessman who owns the luxury resort property and often invites groups friends and acquaintances to weekend get-togethers.

The resort is famous for its bird hunting, the purpose of that day's event. A group including Scalia went quail hunting, although Poindexter noted that the Justice, an avid hunter, did not shoot that day (so maybe he already didn't feel well?) After the hunt the group gathered for a gourmet dinner the ranch is known for. A single day at the ranch for mere mortals generally costs upwards of $500.

He didn't come with a family member, but we haven't heard why he was there, or who he was there with. Second, the fact that there was no autopsy when this is obviously a sudden unexpected death, and it involves a sitting justice of the Supreme Court. Why not? If I was the family, I'd certainly want to know.

According to Scalia's host, the visit was purely social. He maintains that Scalia was not at the party to discuss business, but Poindexter was quoted as saying, ""It was strictly a group of friends sympathetic to the justice's views."

It is not at all unusual that Scalia was on this trip. It's well-documented that he was the most-traveled of the justices when it comes to trips both domestic and abroad on someone else's dime. That information is available to the public via court expense records. He was often criticized for accepting hospitality even from people who have current business before the court.

Poindexter said that as dinner concluded around 9 p.m., Scalia excused himself saying he was tired and would meet his friends at 8 a.m. When the Justice did not appear at 8, Poindexter himself knocked on the door to Scalia's room and got no reply. He said he assumed the man was asleep and went about his business. When Scalia still had not appeared 3.5 hours later, Poindexter decided to unlock the door and found Scalia dead. He says he immediately phoned law enforcement and nearby Federal marshals appeared shortly.

Why does any of that sound weird to you? Scalia was 79 and by his own physician's admission in poor health. Scalia was said to need shoulder surgery that doctors had advised him not to get because they didn't think his heart was healthy enough for orthopedic surgery.

This does have aspects that are parallel to JFK's death. JFK did not have an autopsy by a competent Pathologist, experienced in gunshot wounds, but a Pathologist that hadn't been doing autopsies for years. Scalia just didn't get one at all.

Scalia was a devout Roman Catholic. One of his nine children is even a priest in the Arlington, VA, diocese. My own father was another devout Catholic and he also died at age 79. No one in my family would have wanted an autopsy for him because we knew he found them horrifying. He was also against cremation, which is another belief many older Catholics share. Both the medical examiner who looked at Scalia's body at the scene and the Justice's own doctor agreed that he died of natural causes. Had there been some question about cause of death, law enforcement could have demanded an autopsy, but instead they obeyed the family's wishes.

The fact that the MSM just wants to sweep it under the rug and not investigate is also suspicious. This is exactly what the MSM did for JFK's death. Ruby Kills Oswald and its all over, and no questions from the media at all. I remember reading years ago that at one point in the 60's, the CIA had 100 journalists on their payroll.

I don't see any failure to investigate this by the mainstream media. They were all over the story the minute it happened. They will continue to follow the chaos that will ensue as Republican's try to block the sitting President naming a successor.

Poindexter submitted to an interview. Nothing about his story seems at all strange to anyone except people who also see conspiracies surrounding events such as 9-11, the school tragedy at Sandy Creek, other mass murders, and political events as far back as the Kennedy assassination. There are plenty of psychologists who have some fairly sound explanations for the conspiracy frenzy that has brought up the "truther" movement. Perhaps you should ponder that.
My responses are in red above.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:57 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,884 times
Yes, I think it's suspicious. Scalia was one of the most important men in the United States and he died under mysterious circumstances, far from home. Even if there's a 1% chance of foul play, there should have been an autopsy.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:42 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
I would bet that despite the outer appearance of health at his age, no doubt he had some medical problems, that his family was aware of and chose not to have an autopsy conducted. He died on Saturday and was waked on Friday and buried on Saturday. If the family felt the need they could have had a private autopsy conducted during that time. I am sure that would have been discovered if they did. I believe all was properly handled in accordance with the wishes of the family. I for one would not want the wishes of my family to be superseded by conspiracy theorists.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Read Thomas Perry's novel "The Butcher's Boy"...excellent mystery with death/murder of a US Senator as part of plot...
First thing that came to my mind when I read about Scalia's death...

Apparently while he was vociferous in making his Constitutional views known, he was less forthcoming with his health conditions and did have a history of heart condition...
he was also very prone to doing "guy weekends" with very wealthy, politically conservative factions (like Koch brothers at times and their ilk) all the while proclaiming they never influenced his Court findings...
Well, water seeks its own level...

Personally I thought that was a Supreme we could afford to lose...
I was much more afraid Ginsburg's name would be in the Obituary list before his--
But again == because he was certainly less transparent than she has been with health issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates