Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 03:10 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
"Scary stuff"? Seriously?

I didn't see anything in that New York Post report (yeah, the New York Post) that was remotely "scary" ... except that conspiracy theorists are already starting to come out of the woodwork.
Without an autopsy this will go on for years.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Every Murdoch rag is scary stuff.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:07 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,316,835 times
In other news, some authorities have stated that The Easter Bunny might not exist, and that Santa Claus might not actually slide down every chimney in the world on one night each year.

Isn't that...shocking?

However, as we all know, those bits of conjecture couldn't possibly be true if you are a true believer (translation of true believer=extremely gullible).

Old 02-22-2016, 04:23 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,699,670 times
Autopsies are first the province of state law and second the province of the family.

In most states, an unattended death of an elderly gentleman (as this was) with no signs of violence, trauma or foul play is resolved with a telephone consult with the decedent's physician. If the physician can articulate a chronic, lethal disease in the patient's medical history, AND if the physician has seen the patient within the past thirty days, AND if the personal physician is willing to sign the death certificate, then the state requirement for an autopsy is usually satisfied.

In this case, he had two chronic, lethal conditions; was seen twice by his personal physician within the past week; was found without any signs of violence, trauma, or foul play; and his physician was willing to sign. But for his occupation, that's pretty much the end of the conversation for the ME's office I used to work for.

His family was offered an autopsy by Texas; they declined. My experience has been that families typically waive voluntary autopsies.

Texas law (I'm guessing) doesn't have any additional requirements for autopsies in the event the decedent is a SC Justice.

Remember, there are only five ways (manners) of death - homicide, suicide, accidental, natural and undetermined. If his physician is willing to say it was natural and there is no evidence suggesting any one of the other four manners of death, the medio-legal question is answered.

Condolences to the family, and may the gentleman rest in peace.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:21 PM

25,439 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Umm, scary?? Hardly.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:49 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Sure.

And he could have been kidnapped by aliens from the Andromeda Galaxy.

But here in the real world, the deaths of old ill men in poor condition are generally caused by their oldness, their illness, or their poor condition.
Drop the "oldness" from your list, and I will agree with you. There are many "oldsters" who are in excellent health, some running marathons, teaching yoga, etc.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:04 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Autopsies are first the province of state law and second the province of the family.

In most states, an unattended death of an elderly gentleman (as this was) with no signs of violence, trauma or foul play is resolved with a telephone consult with the decedent's physician. If the physician can articulate a chronic, lethal disease in the patient's medical history, AND if the physician has seen the patient within the past thirty days, AND if the personal physician is willing to sign the death certificate, then the state requirement for an autopsy is usually satisfied.

In this case, he had two chronic, lethal conditions; was seen twice by his personal physician within the past week; was found without any signs of violence, trauma, or foul play; and his physician was willing to sign. But for his occupation, that's pretty much the end of the conversation for the ME's office I used to work for.

His family was offered an autopsy by Texas; they declined. My experience has been that families typically waive voluntary autopsies.

Texas law (I'm guessing) doesn't have any additional requirements for autopsies in the event the decedent is a SC Justice.

Remember, there are only five ways (manners) of death - homicide, suicide, accidental, natural and undetermined. If his physician is willing to say it was natural and there is no evidence suggesting any one of the other four manners of death, the medio-legal question is answered.

Condolences to the family, and may the gentleman rest in peace.
As the kids say, "Drop the mic."

Old 02-23-2016, 02:00 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,624,774 times
"Unexpected death?" When someone is as old, fat, and sick as Scalia was, death is never unexpected. It's amazing how easy it is to get people to believe the stupidest things, as long as it's what they wanted to believe.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
If you believe in the death as murder, then you have to ask yourself who benefits (the classic motive question)...
I am surprised this hasn't been blamed on Obama and his desire to pack the Court with more liberals...

Old 02-23-2016, 06:53 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
I just saw a dinosaur in my yard. You must match silliness with silliness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates