Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 10:11 AM

1,431 posts, read 913,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I hit nothing on the head. I just simply don't care enough if two gays get married. My marriage is between me and another woman, not me and the rest of the world. I don't think it devalues my marriage therefore it doesn't. A marriage is a contract that gives two people certain rights to and over one another. I love my wife ad would be with her with or without that piece of paper.
But other people that are more religious than I am feel it devalues their marriage. Weather it's religion or upbringing or both they feel that the gay lifestyle and gay marriage are abnormal. Well that's how they feel.
What's funny to me is some people tend to like or want to control or suppress others in that same society of they don't conform or believe as they do. It's been that way since civilization started.
There are people who believe the world only started 5,000 years ago. And there are people who believe we were brought here by spaceships.
Which happens on both sides of the coin. You've got actual homophobes, and then you've got LGBT supporters calling everyone that decides not to agree with them "bigots".

Old 02-22-2016, 10:13 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well it has been almost nine months since the Supreme Court made gay marriages legal, ending the biggest abuse of civil liberties based on sex(quality).
Doesn't this sound ridiculous to you? Homosexual marriages have not been recognized throughout almost all of human history. Very recently, that's changed in a limited number of jurisdictions. And now, retroactively, not having homosexual marriage is a big abuse of civil liberties, when it was the way marriage was done all along??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I feel it is time to ask those who were against it if there marriages are actually illegitimate now. I can understand you feel it is, but is there a feeling of it but is ask is it truly illegitimate now that gays can marry too.
I don't think homosexual marriage makes normal marriage any less legitimate. Homosexual marriage is symptomatic of the breakdown of the traditional family unit and of social values more generally. I wouldn't say homosexuality is actually a causal factor in this; like I said, it's just a symptom. As such, it has no effect on individual marriages.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,237,341 times
If were insecure to the point where I value everything I do, possess, and am compared to everyone else, with the added element that I fear things being taken away from me, I might feel like my marriage has been lessened. Luckily (for me) I value my marriage based on how my spouse and I feel about each other and our future together, that other people being able to marry takes nothing away from us. Quite the contrary, we feel more socially secure when people are able to marry and live a happier life together than apart…society benefits from more happiness, optimism, endorphins, and productivity.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
All I can say is thank God Gay Marriage was finally decided by the US Supreme Court last year and is no longer a political issue in this year's elections.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:32 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Which happens on both sides of the coin. You've got actual homophobes, and then you've got LGBT supporters calling everyone that decides not to agree with them "bigots".

actually, the bigots are those who seek to deny basic civil liberties to those with whom they disagree.....

if you just "disagree" but don't deliberately and blatantly discriminate based upon this disagreement, then you are not a bigot....

pretty simple, really....

Old 02-22-2016, 11:12 AM

1,431 posts, read 913,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
actually, the bigots are those who seek to deny basic civil liberties to those with whom they disagree.....

if you just "disagree" but don't deliberately and blatantly discriminate based upon this disagreement, then you are not a bigot....

pretty simple, really....
I agree with what you're saying. The problem is, not everyone has the same open-mindedness you do.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:52 PM

388 posts, read 536,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Marriage is a religious construct.
Marriage is no longer a religious construct. It has now evolved into a social one.

If you don't see/believe this, then look into the majority of legal/social documents. They ask you if you are single or married. These documents define all aspects of our lives, from work place benefits, to legal representation, medical, financial, etc.

This is one reason civil unions are not the same as marriages. Many documents and institutions do not treat them the same.

You can argue that even the government does not officially see marriage as a religious construct. Or else someone could not be married by the court, much less be given/issued a marriage license (and/or handle divorces)

Marriage are now ingrained into society as a legal matter that affects the individual in almost every important manner.

The days or marriages being a religious-based institution is long, long gone.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
All I can say is thank God Gay Marriage was finally decided by the US Supreme Court last year and is no longer a political issue in this year's elections.

It still is for religious conservative republicans like Ted Cruz or Dr. Ben Carson who thinks it is some type of choice to be gay.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:19 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,760 times
This is not a debate, and fall more in the category of a rant/borderline trolling of those against gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.