Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 01:46 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

Who is the arbiter of the appropriate celebration of Mexican culture? I would like to see the rules for the appropriate use/display of sombreros that Mexico sells by the millions as tokens/souvenirs of its culture.

It isn't so much who as what.

I spent quite a bit of time traveling throughout Thailand, and living there for a while, as well. I always found that when I took a sincere interest in some Thai cultural phenomenon I was heartily welcomed in. As opposed to those who only went to use Thai people and were merely tolerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 01:59 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
Closed-minded liberals are more of a problem when they're teaching a class and serving as administrators than when they're fellow students. There are more democrats in faculty and administration overall in the U.S. and far more in the elite schools of the northeast, two of which I attended.

You will also find greater numbers of students who identify as democrats. When you're in college, it sounds great when politicians promise free medical care, welfare checks, free college, job training and a pony for every citizen and illegal immigrant. When these students leave the ivory tower for the real world and have to start paying payroll and property taxes, they realize that there is a cost to "free everything." When they read about all the dregs of humanity fraudulently getting disability payments for "antisocial disorder" they register as Republicans and never look back.

Also, phetaroi - note that this forum is called "Great Debates." Why don't you make an actual argument or two, or do you just take plays out of the democrat playbook and shout everyone down with vulgarity and volume?
No, you're the one who said that most colleges are filled with Democrats. So where are the Republicans? Why aren't they in colleges? Why are more college professors and administrators Democrats?

You do not understand (due to your own political playbook) that it isn't about "free stuff"; that's getting to be a rather tired Republican mantra. No one is promising "free" medical care; Democrats are suggesting that the way American pays for medical care change. Plenty of Republicans receive welfare. And conservatives are just as likely to receive welfare as liberals or moderates (Pew). Plenty of Republicans have supported job training bills.

And please don't hand me the crap about all those people who are moving to the Republican Party. You want some argument on that? Fine: Trends in Party Identification, 1939-2014 | Pew Research Center

And please don't talk about being serious when you throw a pony into the discussion.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
What would be the appropriate means of celebrating Mexican culture? Surely there is no one thing that could celebrate the entirety of any given culture.

Mexicans seem to think sombreros are an appropriate representation of one facet of their culture. Didn't they just give one to the Pope which he wore in public in front of millions of people? Perhaps they gave him some top shelf Tequila to enjoy in private as well......who knows. One thing I'm sure of though is they didn't tell him he couldn't drink tequila while wearing the sombrero.

Who is the arbiter of the appropriate celebration of Mexican culture? I would like to see the rules for the appropriate use/display of sombreros that Mexico sells by the millions as tokens/souvenirs of its culture.

Surely you are not suggesting that Mexican Americans who probably have not even lived in Mexico know more about Mexican culture than Mexicans themselves. The Bowdoin students haven't even been alive long enough to be experts on the entirety of Mexican culture, much less be lecturing others about it.
This party wasn't remotely even trying to celebrate Mexican culture. If you want to drink tequila, just drink tequila. No need to parade around in sombreros to get drunk. I am not Mexican, but if my goal was to celebrate Mexico I'd learn more about tequila, bring in lots of types to compare: aged, unaged, mezcal. Learn about appropriate accompaniments and have food from different regions clearly articulated.

Their goal was to throw down tequila shots. No need to say that was Mexicans. No one doing vodka shots is talking about how they are celebrating Russian culture.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:56 PM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I imagine it was a student or 2 from Mexico that was probably not invited to the party that was offended. She complained and the school had no choice but to look into it and with the way the PC country now works the squeaky wheel gets all the notice.

I still wonder if with ST Patricks day coming this week if there will be a group that will have their green on getting drunk and acting like fools. If so I'm sure there will be complaints but the Irish are not part of the "protected class" of people that the PG movement is so keen on protecting. Add in the fact that many Irish people are Catholic and they are hardly on the radar for the PC Police.

All this PC nonsense is silly.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
someone once urinated in a cross....and the liberals celebrated this as "art"

yes,,many Christians were offended,,,,but nobody cared,

where was the "sensitivity" towards the Christians?????

yep its pc nonsense

for the future......make up your own holiday/festivities to celebrate..

the left/dems/liberals, are the easily offended...
unless its against white Christians ...then its freedom of speech

Old 03-12-2016, 04:48 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Will this PC silliness ever end?

No.

And I can't believe you said that.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:52 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I imagine it was a student or 2 from Mexico that was probably not invited to the party that was offended. She complained and the school had no choice but to look into it and with the way the PC country now works the squeaky wheel gets all the notice.

I still wonder if with ST Patricks day coming this week if there will be a group that will have their green on getting drunk and acting like fools. If so I'm sure there will be complaints but the Irish are not part of the "protected class" of people that the PG movement is so keen on protecting. Add in the fact that many Irish people are Catholic and they are hardly on the radar for the PC Police.

All this PC nonsense is silly.

Sorry, the Irish have white privilege. They are not allowed to be offended by anything anyone does with their culture. Rules of the PC crowd.....specifically the cultural appropriation police. Only oppressed cultures are allowed to dictate how their culture is portrayed/celebrated and they remain free to do whatever they want with yours. Its unclear where they think they have derived this authority but, apparently this is their cause du jour.......no apologies to the French because they have white privilege as well. At least we can all still mock them!

Actually, I think this is a great day for America. If this is what they are concerned about, then clearly they no longer have any serious concerns about being discriminated against when it comes to equal legal rights, employment, opportunity, education, economic or political power.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
A high school near here with very privileged kids once had an international dress up day.

Some kids came wearing leaf blowers.

Is that offensive?

Old 03-12-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Will this PC silliness ever end?

No.

And I can't believe you said that.
Too funny!!

Old 03-12-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It isn't so much who as what.

I spent quite a bit of time traveling throughout Thailand, and living there for a while, as well. I always found that when I took a sincere interest in some Thai cultural phenomenon I was heartily welcomed in. As opposed to those who only went to use Thai people and were merely tolerated.
Huh? Can you expand on this, because I don't have a clue what you mean by that statement.

Plus, I don't see the relevance of what someone does when they are in a particular country vs when they are in their own country representing or celebrating some other culture.

I mean if you wanted to have a Thai themed party or celebrate Thai culture for some reason, there isn't necessarily a Thai person around the corner in every American city to ask sincerely what that should look like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates