Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:49 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,081,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I don't agree with sex offender registries, so I certainly don't agree with child abuse registries. Why don't we have murderer registries or assault registries? The data regarding recidivism of sex offenders is often very misunderstood and believed to be higher than it is.

I believe our main goal in judicial punishment should be rehabilitation. These sorts of registries are obstacles to that.
I totally agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 11:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,308,592 times
about as useless as a restraining order...

Old 03-12-2016, 04:42 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
There should be an Abortion Registry that can be checked to see if someone chose to end the life of a human being.

wow!!! I was thinking the same thing!!!!

so,,,to all you well intentioned....how bout this???????????????????????

its a slippery slope.....

how bout a welfare registry?? crime registry?? ( any crime,,including a speeding ticket)

how bout a smoking registry?? an obesity registry??

a bankrupt registry??

Old 03-12-2016, 06:22 PM

18,142 posts, read 25,337,263 times
Good idea,
But for God's sake, can we get different "labels" for different levels of child abuser?
HIgh school sweethearts shouldn't be in the same group as people that .... Are extremely sick

Old 03-14-2016, 04:11 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,281,017 times
Lets label everyone.

There could be a hunter registry, a fishing registry, a republican or democrat registry. ( Do you get to change your mind once your labeled? We have to work that stuff out.)

Old 03-14-2016, 05:38 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,362,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Lets label everyone.

There could be a hunter registry, a fishing registry, a republican or democrat registry. ( Do you get to change your mind once your labeled? We have to work that stuff out.)
False Rape Accusation Registry. Charter chapters at Duke and Yale universities.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:05 PM

17,647 posts, read 15,346,122 times
I agree with everyone for mostly the reasons they mention about SORs.. Especially ones that put someone on the registry for life (SC is a state that does that) for something as 'mundane' as a peeping conviction or indecent exposure, which could be as simple as peeing outside.

The craziness of these registries is that if someone cooks meth in a house.. The house goes on a registry, but not the person cooking meth.

And, people freak out that someone on a SOR moves in near them.. But.. Someone who killed another person? There's no murder registry.. People don't have a problem not knowing about that.

Yeah.. Anyone ever convicted of a DUI.. Put a DUI license plate on their car.

Credit score of 500? Make them wear a Bronze "D" on their shirt for "Debtor"

Old 03-15-2016, 11:05 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,191,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I don't agree with sex offender registries, so I certainly don't agree with child abuse registries. Why don't we have murderer registries or assault registries? The data regarding recidivism of sex offenders is often very misunderstood and believed to be higher than it is.

I believe our main goal in judicial punishment should be rehabilitation. These sorts of registries are obstacles to that.
Agreed. Putting people on public registries is a punishment beyond their sentencing that makes it harder to live their lives after they get out of prison or off probation. Murderers can have an easier time getting work and leading normal lives than people who got busted for urinating in public. If people want longer prison terms for certain crimes then they need to lobby to make that happen. Punishing people for the rest of their lives for doing something that might not even justify prison time is unconstitutional and stupid.

Anecdotally, I used to get this postcard thing in the mail all the time about a sex offender in my area. It had his picture, address, and a vague description of his crime(sexually assaulting a minor under 12). The problem was that it wasn't true. He's had sex with his 15 year old girlfriend when he was 18 more than 30 years prior. He was added to the sex offender registry retroactively a decade after he'd already not gone to prison for his crime.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:31 PM

7,102 posts, read 6,002,296 times
Mom's who abuse the Child Support System registry! I'd vote for that one!

Old 03-16-2016, 12:44 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,475,940 times
Why aren't criminal background checks enough?

Because criminal and psychological profiles should be used when someone is a caregiver for the very young and elderly.

They are the most vulnerable in our society and deserve the utmost care and sensitivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates