Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:43 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times

Advertisements

I have green blue eyes, so I'm exempt.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:47 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,537 times
It depends on where you pinch me.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:38 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,379,741 times
I couldn't find my orange shirt this morning, but that is OK, it is a souvenir from Mexico.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
Quote:
Never heard of it either. Would you consider it rude if the person you pinched turned around and slugged you in the mouth?
I watched a few years ago, where a man pinched a coworker in an elevator going up to their office to work. She spun around and laid him out with a very heavy purse to the side of his head. He called the cops when he came to, and they told him that it is actually against the law to pinch, poke, or hit someone no matter what day it is, and she was justified to hit him like she did. The told him, if she wanted to sign a complaint that they would have to arrest him for sexual assault (man inappropriately touching or feeling someone of the opposite sex is how they explained it).

Pinching someone not wearing green on St Patrick's day, is grade school child play, not something an adult should do or even consider.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:41 AM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
I've heard of the pinching thing, but I do think it's rude. For one thing, it's like shaking hands in that some people don't know how hard they can pinch. I bruise very easily. I looked like I was beaten up after a paintball game and just having blood drawn can give me a quarter-sized bruise that lasts for more than a week. So no, I don't want to be pinched.

Besides the pinching though, is all the harassment about not wearing green on St. Pat's Day. I'm part Irish, but I don't feel the need to wear green on the 17th.

Besides, as an atheist, I think the worst thing you can do in the world is to convert people to a religion. I think Ireland today would be a lot better off if old St. Patrick had just kept his missionary impulses to himself.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:12 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Of course it's rude. It's also battery, and subjects you to arrest and imprisonment. At my office, it will get you fired, no questions, no appeals, just a trip out the door as quickly as HR can get the paperwork done.

This is what is wrong with our country. Is it rude??? its not intended to be. As far as it being battery and good reason for charges well that is just insane, as is it crazy to use such a thing to fire people. The problem is that our PC world is crazy, and this persons post is probably correct. I detest this type of thing, but it is how the world has been allowed to become. We tolerate it, so its our fault as citizens of this country that its even allowed to occur. I remember when I was younger that everyone did pinch those not wearing green, it was a normal part of the holiday. I suppose all those people doing it were criminals deserving of punishment right??? Insanity

Old 03-18-2016, 02:35 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
I've never even heard of this custom ... and I'm part Irish raised in an area of the country filled with the descendants of Irish immigrants. My father was Irish Catholic and VERY proud of it and all he ever did for St. Patrick's Day was put on his lapel a tiny green enamel shamrock pin that someone brought him from Ireland. He didn't dress up in green clothes or drink green beer.

Why on earth would people who aren't even Irish be expected to do anything special on St. Patrick's Day? Do people pinch atheists on Easter?

As for "Is it rude??? its not intended to be [sic]," yes, causing anyone even minor pain on purpose is very rude. And it doesn't matter what you INTEND when something is rude.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 03-18-2016 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-18-2016, 06:13 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Is this a joke? St Patrick's Day is not part of our culture. It's an Irish thing. When was the last time we made fun of people for not celebrating Chinese New Year or Diwali?
Made fun of for 'not'?

When some non-European festival is celebrated - the ones you mentioned, Cinco de Mayo, etc. - the nativists pitch a fit because it's 'foreign'. But they never utter such complaints about Euro-centric celebrations, such as St. Patrick's Day, though they too are just as 'foreign'.

Oh, and as for pinching someone for not wearing green? No, it's not expected - I'm 47 and I've never heard of it. Yes, it's rude. No, it's not a lawsuit or firing waiting to happen (which is why, despite the ominous and insistent rumbling that it is, no one can actually demonstrate that such things ever happen).

But I'd disagree with your premise. St. Patrick's Day is part of the American culture. So is Diwali, Oktoberfest, pizza, Halloween, Chinese food, and a whole long list of things that we've imported from elsewhere.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Outside of grade school, the population seems to have grasped the fact that adults don't pinch one another. The pincher would regret touching me. I doubt grade schools tolerate it anymore either. Keep your hands to yourself. A child of four knows that.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:49 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,203 times
My dad was an orange Irishman and would not be caught dead wearing green on St. Pat's day. I'm not religious, and do not wear green on St. Pat's day. If someone I don't know walks up and pinches me, chances are they will not be too happy a second or two later.
That is technically assault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates