Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 06:55 PM

19 posts, read 13,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I was taken aback when I found out that this was a real phenomenon. I've heard about Chinese people eating cats and dogs since I was a kid but always assumed it was a made up joke - it never once crossed my mind that there was any truth to it.

Then one day in cyberspace, I found out that people actually eat cats and dogs . They weren't lying all those years.

No, that will NEVER happen here. People would sooner starve then serve up some cat for dinner.

Yes, dogs have served as companions to humans for years. They are not wild animals. Also, the worst part about the Chinese people eating dogs is that they believe that the more you torture a dog the more tender the meat will taste. They torture the dogs for days before killing them and often boil them alive.
They stuff them into carts so tightly that many of the dogs die of suffocation before reaching the market.
That's the most disturbing part of it all--these animals, who are so sensitive and trusting and loving are tortured brutally before being killed. The Chinese are to dogs what ISIS is to humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 08:10 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,517,390 times
Yes, dogs have served as companions to humans for years. They are not wild animals. Also, the worst part about the Chinese people eating dogs is that they believe that the more you torture a dog the more tender the meat will taste. They torture the dogs for days before killing them and often boil them alive.
They stuff them into carts so tightly that many of the dogs die of suffocation before reaching the market.
That's the most disturbing part of it all--these animals, who are so sensitive and trusting and loving are tortured brutally before being killed. The Chinese are to dogs what ISIS is to humans.

SEOWriter - whoa, you get it. I don't know what's so hard to understand here with other people on here. They are classically in denial. What American slaughterhouses do to cows, pigs and chickens is gross, but, they are not tortured for days before they are killed. American slaughterhouse workers can be real morons with the animals, too, but, by and large, American animal killing methods are mostly humane. It's not a perfect practice.

But what these Chinese are doing is so awful and inhumane and wrong. Something has to be done to put a permanent stop to it. It is wrong on so many moral levels and we tend to focus on people and how people are doing - and we can't even see that all people are fed and in decent shape. We sling arrows at each other and nations that we don't live in.

But animals should not be tortured and killed like this. For their weird, superstitious false beliefs. They're frickin' morons, plain and simple. Makes me barf emotionally really badly.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,179,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOWriter View Post
What do you mean it's just meat. Then, it follows that you are a living, breathing, hot dog on legs.
Meat once had a face, and children.
Actually, you might want to look up what a hot dog is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog

This isn't a vegetarian vs non-vegetarian debate.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,179,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOWriter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

SEOWriter - whoa, you get it. I don't know what's so hard to understand here with other people on here. They are classically in denial. What American slaughterhouses do to cows, pigs and chickens is gross, but, they are not tortured for days before they are killed. American slaughterhouse workers can be real morons with the animals, too, but, by and large, American animal killing methods are mostly humane. It's not a perfect practice.

But what these Chinese are doing is so awful and inhumane and wrong. Something has to be done to put a permanent stop to it. It is wrong on so many moral levels and we tend to focus on people and how people are doing - and we can't even see that all people are fed and in decent shape. We sling arrows at each other and nations that we don't live in.

But animals should not be tortured and killed like this. For their weird, superstitious false beliefs. They're frickin' morons, plain and simple. Makes me barf emotionally really badly.
Most people here are simply discussing dog meat as if were produced the same way as other meat we eat here in America. No one has an interest in extended torture of animals.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:41 PM

Most people here are simply discussing dog meat as if were produced the same way as other meat we eat here in America. No one has an interest in extended torture of animals.

I would not be so sure - look at Michael Vick types. Abuse of animals is unfortunately a worldwide problem. We can only do so much, understood.

I don't see Americans ever eating dogs or horses, willingly, anyway. I don't think Americans will ever be out of chicken, beef or pork, and if they did run out, dogs and probably horses and cats would be in trouble.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:56 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,935,337 times
I've seen lots of things happen in this country that I thought could never happen. Therefore, I'd say yes, its quite possible and likely dogs and cats will be eaten as food someday. Hunger will make people eat their own children in some cases, so some stray dog or cat, why not. If food is scarce, fewer people will have dogs and cats. Face it, America's best days are behind her. The empire is shrinking. Future generations will be much poorer.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:17 PM

And American banks and credit unions and credit companies always try to artificially make things look better by reducing credit card interest rates and such...anything to get charging to continue on. Which means that debt needs to be repaid, and, the troubles mount when the debts can't be repaid, etc., etc.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:28 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,722,513 times
Maybe depends on the PR. During WWII, the government got people to eat things they normally wouldn't have.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I've seen lots of things happen in this country that I thought could never happen. Therefore, I'd say yes, its quite possible and likely dogs and cats will be eaten as food someday. Hunger will make people eat their own children in some cases, so some stray dog or cat, why not. If food is scarce, fewer people will have dogs and cats. Face it, America's best days are behind her. The empire is shrinking. Future generations will be much poorer.
It's not just America. It's the world. Man (not animals) has taken way too much--more than the world can provide. The solution? Birth control---BIG Time. Ditch the monster cars. I never could understand why people spend tons of money on gas each week and then cry that they can't afford decent food. Unless we stop our endless consuming this planet is in trouble. Perhaps we should bring back the victory gardens and start growing some our own food. That's the only way to truly know what is in it.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

It's true. In America, there are strict laws about how to kill animals so they don't feel pain. Factory farms in America still treat animals terribly but they pale in comparison to the torture that goes on in China. I don't want to mention the ways they torture (because there are sick people who might imitate them) but it is truly heartbreaking. You have to be a really cold individual to do the things they do, while the dog is looking at you with trusting eyes, only to be howling in pain and panic ten seconds after you begin practically eating it alive! Disgusting. Something has to be done to stop this--morally it is wrong. Plus, they have proven that people who are cruel to animals are more likely to be cruel to humans--it is not that far a stretch. By the way, eating meat is a choice. Not one person needs to eat dog meat to survive. There are nuts, grains, fruit, eggs. vegetables, milk, cheese, etc. One does not have to eat meat to maintain health. The decision to be cruel is a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates