Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:55 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,657,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
While there are fewer family farms, there are far more factory farms. It doesn't take much land to raise a lot of meat when you stuff chickens in cages smaller than microwaves and stack them twelve feet tall.

No, I don't think eating dogs and cats will ever be commonplace. Unfortunately, I think factory farming can produce as much meat as the US wants to eat.

Within 50-100 years, I expect in vitro meat to be commercially viable, and I hope that no animals will be needed in order to produce meat.

This.

Actually, I think meat eating is on the decline and people are looking for other things to eat, rather than sentient creatures.

I think that people will look back on meat eating as barbaric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 10:42 PM

6,621 posts, read 6,557,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
This.

Actually, I think meat eating is on the decline and people are looking for other things to eat, rather than sentient creatures.

I think that people will look back on meat eating as barbaric.
I highly doubt there will ever be a time when every person stops eating meat.

As for eating dogs? I suppose it would happen if there was a reason that there was nothing else to eat. Never say never. People have eaten human flesh under dire circumstances to survive. Dogs would go before human slaughter began.

Note to ad: I LOVE my little fur babies to bits.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:14 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,604,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Just think about it..... Farmlamd is disappearing at an alarming rate every year. Since it's much more profitable to sell the farm to build houses and businesses. Land is expensive to purchase. Even hunters are having a heck of a time to find private land these days to hunt deer to feed themselves and their family.

With the ever increasing population in the U.S., and rapid decrease of family farms, people need to eat for survival. In 50-100yrs. from now, can you see this happening in the U.S. similar to other countries around the world?
Absolutely not.

Besides, it is actually more inefficient to raise and produce and distribute meat than plants. If food sources become critical (like in the movie Soylent Green), meat would probably become more scarce, not more abundant. Plants would be grown in hydroplaned indoor fields and such. The focus would be on more plant foods that use less land and provide the most nutrients. People would start using their yards more to grow supplemental food. Plant foods would also be a lot healthier than meat, in a situation where plant foods are scarce. Plant foods are used to feed animals, of course. If plant foods are scarce, they'd have to feed animals something else (God knows what!), which would undoubtedly be unhealthy for humans who eat the animals.

Meat just isn't efficient, so it would fade away or be rare (no pun intended). Takes a lot of resources to produce meat for human consumption. The raising and feeding and vet care of animals, the production, the storing of it. The electricity used along the way. Very inefficient.

Think nutrient intense plants. Beans, beans, and more beans. New ways of farming plants would be developed. For instance, you could go UP and not just on the ground. We already use artificial farm fields, I think. The govt would set aside land for production of plant foods.

Last edited by bpollen; 03-18-2016 at 11:23 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 12:39 AM

137 posts, read 255,089 times
Dogs, and cats to a lesser degree, were considered a viable food source at one time in Europe along with Asia.
Eventually cows, pigs and chickens became more readily available -not to mention a lot less costly to farm them for profits- the consumers and farmers eventually did away with dog and cats.
Even countries that have a reputation for eating dogs only eat them as delicacy.

But the demand for beef, pork and chicken are as strong as ever; It wouldn't go away any time soon.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:37 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,349,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This is the great debates forum, so kudos for such a well thought out and descriptive answer.

I'm curious: Do you eat any meat? If so, why does the thought of eating dogs and cats seem off limits to you? Is it merely a matter of taste, or do you have a moral objection to it?
Nice to see the Great Debate police are vigilant.

My answer? Lord no! We can't stomach equine slaughter for anyone's consumption.

I did read that China raises St. Bernards for food. That makes me sad. Dogs have long been faithful, loyal, protective members of the family. They're so much smarter than livestock. Except pigs. They're right up there with dolphins. And many humans.

Of course, the anti-slaughter bunch are fierce defenders of abortion.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:46 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,214,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
One of the most ridiculous oversimplifications to hit this forum in months. The supply of land which could be converted to the production of food remains substantial, and the infrastructure to process, transport, and deliver it has never been stronger. The planet hasn't been troubled by a substantial famine in decades, and that sort of progress is the reason why.

I grew up on a dairy farm, and I have relatives who work within the Pennsylvania Agriculture Department. I can attest that there are plenty of advocacies and plenty of controversies going on out there. and the people who get the most attention from the media aren't always the ones in touch with the biggest threats. (For example, avian (bird) flu could disrupt egg and poultry prices in the near future; that is an event with major ramifications; not that serious. but it affects far more consumers, so it gets more attention, and deservedly).

But sensationalism of the type in the OP is about as reaiistic as palm trees in Alaska; the only reason it draws attention is that it tugs at our emotions -- and sells!
I totally agree. Here in the US, I would guess that far more farmland is abandoned to revert back to forest or prairie annually than is lost to development. That may not be happening around NYC or Washington DC or Orlando, FL or San Francisco but it is in much of the Northeast, the Midwest, the South, and the Great Plains, ie most of the eastern 2/3s of the country outside of the major metros.

As for the OP's contention that hunters can't find land to hunt to "feed their families" is pure, unadulterated, f'ng nonsense. First, 99% of hunters are recreational hunters. Second, hunters who live in cities and suburbs can't find land to hunt not because it's all been developed but because the people who own the land and pay taxes on it either want to hunt it themselves or don't want strangers on their land or have leased out the hunting rights.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:56 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,216,337 times
Quote:
Just think about it..... Farmlamd is disappearing at an alarming rate every year. Since it's much more profitable to sell the farm to build houses and businesses. Land is expensive to purchase. Even hunters are having a heck of a time to find private land these days to hunt deer to feed themselves and their family.

With the ever increasing population in the U.S., and rapid decrease of family farms, people need to eat for survival. In 50-100yrs. from now, can you see this happening in the U.S. similar to other countries around the world?
I could see chihuahuas en brochette as picnic treats, or barbequed pit bull in a spit for backyard gatherings. Stuffed Yorkie maybe, but other than as specialty items I don't see it catching on. Cats? The meat is simply too stringy to make it worthwhile.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:40 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,581,762 times
Quote:

Of course not.

The future of nutrition lies in Soylent Green.

Much more nourishing and never in short supply.

It has been foretold...

Old 03-19-2016, 10:15 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,626,696 times
Hydroponics may serve us well in the near future.
The Saint Bernard story makes me said as well, such sweet,albeit slobbery dogs.
I believe China will eat just about anything. But cheese.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:23 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,365,879 times
It has been interesting to read all the responses and learn something from my fear of running out of spaces to grow crops and raise livestock for food. China would be one place I'd never visit. Yuck! Thank God I wasn't born there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates