Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 11:58 AM

5,668 posts, read 6,600,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
But sensationalism of the type in the OP is about as reaiistic as palm trees in Alaska; the only reason it draws attention is that it tugs at our emotions -- and sells!
I thought it was humor.

Wait, this isn't the Onion?

We'll be eating each other long before we eat our pet dogs and cats...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 01:26 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,450,604 times
A man once told me a steak from horse meat was delicious. I think he was from Norway.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:55 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,150,511 times
If we ever get to the point of being a barbaric and apocalyptic society, as in the movie Thunderdome, possibly. Otherwise, I don't foresee them on any restaurants menu in our future.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:58 PM

19 posts, read 13,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is nature barbaric? Animals eat other sentient animals everyday.
That is true--some animals eat other animals. Cows don't eat other animals and dogs don't eat other animals.
Many animals are herbivores.
Factory farm cows eat a low of cheap S---t--like sawdust and stuff.

Plus, when animals kills they do it themselves and they do it fast. The animals in factory farms live long, tortured lives. For example, the chickens never go outside and are crowded together so that they can barely move. Calves used for veal are chained inside dark crates in which they can't stand and malnourished. They are not allowed to exercise so that the meat is tender. After a "life" inside a cramped crate they are finally led to slaughter. And many factory farm animals are tortured by underpaid frustrated workers. I've seen photographs of pigs with paint thrown on them, and screaming in horror as they see their babies being stomped on and abused.

Have you seen baby chicks being tossed onto conveyor belts? They are treated like dead objects instead of living beings. Go To PETA's website if you want to see some truly horrible cruelty.

Animals don't torture their food. Humans do.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:59 PM

19 posts, read 13,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If it came down to a survival situation you would eat a dog or a cat rather than die of starvation..
There are plenty of things to eat that will keep you alive---plants, seeds, nuts, eggs.
They won't give you a heart attack either.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:30 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,532,993 times
If a country as like India has survived many famines while remaining vegetarian I'm pretty sure Americans will be able to not eat their pets. If great poverty came to the US they might stop breeding and buying new ones because they couldn't afford to feed them, but nobody who could afford to own one would need to eat it. People in Korea and China who eat dog don't do it because they're too poor to afford anything else. This is a dog breed bred to be eaten that is a special luxury meat for the well off. The poor just stick to rice, vegetables and the odd bit of fish.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:33 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,097,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Just think about it..... Farmlamd is disappearing at an alarming rate every year. Since it's much more profitable to sell the farm to build houses and businesses. Land is expensive to purchase. Even hunters are having a heck of a time to find private land these days to hunt deer to feed themselves and their family.

With the ever increasing population in the U.S., and rapid decrease of family farms, people need to eat for survival. In 50-100yrs. from now, can you see this happening in the U.S. similar to other countries around the world?
1. Farmland is not disappearing at an alarming rate.

2. I don't see cats and or dogs becoming commonplace in the U.S.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:01 PM

3,863 posts, read 2,233,165 times
I was taken aback when I found out that this was a real phenomenon. I've heard about Chinese people eating cats and dogs since I was a kid but always assumed it was a made up joke - it never once crossed my mind that there was any truth to it.

Then one day in cyberspace, I found out that people actually eat cats and dogs . They weren't lying all those years.

No, that will NEVER happen here. People would sooner starve then serve up some cat for dinner.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
I think people will come around to it. Maybe not the masses but it will become available. It's a bit silly that you can't just go out and buy dog and cat meat but you can of other animals. Hopefully that will change.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:39 PM

3,652 posts, read 3,788,641 times
I suspect only people who have not been really hungry, hungry for an extended period of time, think they would not eat a domestic animal. Or a bug, for that matter.

I may choose to starve (though I doubt it), but I would not let my family or friends starve for lack of choice!

I hope we never get to find out what we'd do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates